Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

1 minute ago, Leith Green said:

East Linton and West Linton miles away from each other.

(although none are even vaguely like East Kilbride !)

North Berwick and South Berwick are not even on the same continent.

candy (n.)

late 13c., "crystallized sugar," from Old French çucre candi "sugar candy," ultimately from Arabic qandi, from Persian qand "cane sugar," probably from Sanskrit khanda "piece (of sugar)," perhaps from Dravidian (compare Tamil kantu "candy," kattu "to harden, condense").

Can't remember where it was, but I recently saw a road sign that gave a distance of 5 3/4 miles, which I felt was beyond the limit for fractions.

Also, this road sign below that I saw last week.  To the best of my knowledge, there is no village called Largo (just Upper Largo & Lower Largo, the upper one of which is not 2 3/4 miles from this sign).  Now, there's a parish called Largo that comprises Lower Largo, Upper Largo & Lundin Links, but if it's referring to the parish then the distance difference on the sign implies that Lundin Links is outside of the parish, which is factually inaccurate.

Screenshot_20220327-142354.png.787b8ea578bbf5a055f5d945df0038cf.png

26 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Can't remember where it was, but I recently saw a road sign that gave a distance of 5 3/4 miles, which I felt was beyond the limit for fractions.

Also, this road sign below that I saw last week.  To the best of my knowledge, there is no village called Largo (just Upper Largo & Lower Largo, the upper one of which is not 2 3/4 miles from this sign).  Now, there's a parish called Largo that comprises Lower Largo, Upper Largo & Lundin Links, but if it's referring to the parish then the distance difference on the sign implies that Lundin Links is outside of the parish, which is factually inaccurate.

I have a road sign for my village as you come off the motorway saying 18km.  You then drive about 5km to the next sign that says 20km.

3 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

My daughter got a pack of capri sun yesterday. They have replaced the plastic straws with paper ones that cannot pierce the bag. 

So what? That's being very environmentally conscious to replace a plastic straw used to pierce an erm....mainly non-recyclable bonded aluminium and plastic container.

My fucking annoying neighbour. He is an utterly clueless Uni student who decided to knock on my door at 11pm on Friday night and kept knocking on the door till I woke up and answered (I’m sick at the moment so was trying to ignore it), then he proceeds to tell me some convoluted plan to get rid of his anti-social flatmate (noisy b*****d) and proceeds to tell me he’s going to be keeping his stuff at my flat (is he f**k). 

He’s an utter weirdo and I’m probably going to have to actually complain about him or something because he’s now gone from harmless weirdo to annoying as f**k weirdo.

The parish made up of the upper and lower parts of largo. So you are correct. From that sign (if it is where i think it is) you would hit lundin links first and then further on, come off the main road to enter the parish area that it’s referring to.

The parish made up of the upper and lower parts of largo. So you are correct. From that sign (if it is where i think it is) you would hit lundin links first and then further on, come off the main road to enter the parish area that it’s referring to.

From scottish-places.info

Largo, a parish containing two villages of the same name in the SE of Fife, on the northern coast of the Firth of Forth. It is bounded NE by Kilconquhar, E by Kilconquhar and Newburn, S by the sweep of the Firth of Forth known as Largo Bay, W by Scoonie, and NW by Ceres.