Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

13 hours ago, Ginaro said:

What I meant was, surely you only have to press the power or unlock button on the side of the phone and then the screen comes on with the time?

None of that shite with a watch mate 

52 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Yes, because the argument was quite clearly that if you don't have a watch it's impossible to know the time. It's obvious that a wristwatch is a handy though not essential item. I'm sure you have many belongings which fall into that category.

The fact that you personally haven't been on a plane for fifteen years or can't fathom a situation where you'd want to know the time whilst reading a book is completely irrelevant.

None of the scenarios that you have outlined are genuinely 'handy' at all. There is no genuine impediment to checking a phone while sitting in an aisle seat on a plane FFS.

This is simply you desperately trying to justify a purchase which has no inherent purpose in 21st century life.  Now batter ahead with wearing one if you want, but it was the watch mafia who originally claimed that not wearing one was the mark of a wrong 'un.

We've clearly established though that a phone is perfectly capable of doing the job though, so your point is invalid. 

Just no need to wear a watch (which will last for years) these days. Brought to you by people who change their phone every six months. Probably. 

5 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

He's also lying about the Daisy Dukes only being worn at home as well.

I dont trust a word he's typing tbh.

You think he was lying about the 15 years without being on a plane too?

2 minutes ago, Trackdaybob said:

Just no need to wear a watch (which will last for years) these days. Brought to you by people who change their phone every six months. Probably. 

This country eh. 

4C3AA76D00000578-5727397-image-a-20_1526313276868.jpg.2152dbc9385b1c6a7ed568177a6a793d.jpg

12 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

1. Put the thing down, then look at the time.
2. Slow down, then look at the time.
3. I haven't been on a plane in 15 years.
4. If I'm reading a book I don't want or need to know what time it is.
5. Watch batteries run out and are significantly more awkward to replace than a phone is to recharge.
6. I'm a man, I have pockets.
7. If I'm in a place where phones are banned there's likely to be a communal means of displaying the time, or reminders, or I don't have to worry about it.
8. I usually only wear my Daisy Dukes, yoga pants or garter belt/suspenders combo in the comfort of my own home so this is moot.
9. Whether at home or in person I don't think there's anything stopping someone from carrying a phone with them. 

1. Or just glance at your wrist.
  2. Or just glance at your wrust.
  3. Millions of people have, every year
  4. Even if you're reading to fill in time until you need to go somewhere?
  5. Watches existed for centuries before batteries were introduced
  6. And your phone is out of sight in it
  7. And if there isn't?
  8. Not dwelling on that one as it conjures up a horrible mental image
  9. Ah, you're one of those people who have a panic attack if they can't look at their phone every fifteen seconds.

None of the scenarios that you have outlined are genuinely 'handy' at all. There is no genuine impediment to checking a phone while sitting in an aisle seat on a plane FFS.
This is simply you desperately trying to justify a purchase which has no inherent purpose in 21st century life.  Now batter ahead with wearing one if you want, but it was the watch mafia who originally claimed that not wearing one was the mark of a wrong 'un.
We've clearly established though that a phone is perfectly capable of doing the job though, so your point is invalid. 

This is a lighthearted thread in general and obviously those saying folk without watches were wrong'uns obviously had their tongue in cheek. Unfortunately some perma-serious ultra-bores like yourself decided to turn it into a debate.

Apologies, I meant "other than an aisle
seat". In all of those instances glancing at your wrist is easier than using your phone.

Speaking of admitting when you're wrong, how's that assertion that the vast majority of watch wearers are just splashing cash on vanity going?

8 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

This is a lighthearted thread in general and obviously those saying folk without watches were wrong'uns obviously had their tongue in cheek. Unfortunately some perma-serious ultra-bores like yourself decided to turn it into a debate.

Apologies, I meant "other than an aisle
seat". In all of those instances glancing at your wrist is easier than using your phone.

Speaking of admitting when you're wrong, how's that assertion that the vast majority of watch wearers are just splashing cash on vanity going?

I’m a perma-serious grumpy b*****d, but that raised a smile. 

21 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

It's a bit late to play it the 'lighthearted thread' card, given the fucking nick of this War and Peace effort you produced just yesterday champ:

20 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

I'm loath to stoop to such inanities (were you one of those weirdos in school who asked girls for "three good reasons" why they wouldn't go out with them?) but here we go, I'll chuck in some more for free.

1. When you are carrying things.
2. When you are moving faster than walking pace.
3. When you are sat down with a barrier making access to a phone in your pocket awkward (e.g. sitting in a non-aisle seat on a plane).
4. When you are reading a book.
5. When your phone is out of battery or charging out of reach.
6. When your phone is in your purse.
7. When you are places phones are banned.
8. When having a phone in your pocket is impractical.
9. When watching a football match.

In all those scenarios a quick glance at your wrist is the best way to know the time. Thinking spending a few quid for that convenience is a bizarre vanity exercise is itself bizarre.

For someone who's normally a decent debater this is a woeful effort. Firstly, the most popular brand of watch in the UK is Casio followed by Sekonda and Seiko, and the top 75 best selling watches on amazon.co.uk are all under £100, so the assertion that the vast majority of watches are an expensive vanity exercise is absurd.

Secondly, if you want to discredit the entire watch wearing public because some people use them for vanity then try applying that to other goods and services. I'd love to see a list of your possessions or how often you get a haircut.

Edited by vikingTON

15 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

5. Watch batteries run out and are significantly more awkward to replace than a phone is to recharge.

Changing a battery every 5 years or so is worse than charging your phone every night?

USB sticks and the USB ports they go into. Every time, every single time you reach to the back of a computer to insert one, you have the fcuker the wrong way in your hand for it to smoothly insert at first time of asking. Evil basturts’.