Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

10 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I haven't worn a watch for about a decade and when awake, I'm still aware, probably within the half hour, of what time it is.

You must miss the start of a lot of stuff on TV then.

10 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I got a nice watch off my brother as a gift at his wedding and I remember thinking at that time "what a fucking waste of money". It's sat in its box for 10 years. If anyone of the watch wearing weirdos would like it I am open to offers. 

What make is it? Go on give us a laugh.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

People, particularly professional broadcasters, who call Madison Square Garden, 'Madison Square Gardens'.

Being only aware of the place through references on TV and in films, I genuinely thought that's what it was called.

Always makes me think of Highlander. Bet someone will point out it's referred to in the singular there, and I'm an ignorant tit.

7 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I got a nice watch off my brother as a gift at his wedding and I remember thinking at that time "what a fucking waste of money". It's sat in its box for 10 years. If anyone of the watch wearing weirdos would like it I am open to offers. 

Same here, but with my dad. I think it's a fairly expensive one; wouldn't sell it, as it was a present from my old man, but it's been sitting in the box for about fifteen years.

Same goes for a couple of expensive Swiss watches that belonged to my grandfather. My mum's been nagging me to wear them for about thirty years, but I'm not into jewellery and back in the olden days when wearing a watch was useful, I'd use some cheap piece of shit that I didn't need to worry about damaging.

This has reminded me to write a note to put in the drawer alongside them, so the wean knows to get them sold once I've carked it.

Wearing one is more curious, given that it's not 1895 any more and we have access to the time of day everywhere. 
A bizarre waste of resources. 
There are many scenarios where wearing a watch is superior, as evidenced by the amount of people who ask me for the time.

As for the waste of resources, if you can't afford a fiver for a watch then by all means, go without. Otherwise stop complaining about resources whilst you buy your tenth pint/pair of trainers/jeans/et cetera.
I'm in the Philippines where they also have a fork and spoon culture.  That said, knives are readily available and I only have to ask to get one.  I've not adjusted to the fork and spoon stuff because a lot of it is based on eating with hands/fingers only - I dislike getting them dirty in such a way.  As for spreading stuff and knives for preparation etc I assume those places are like here - of course they are available and used commonly.
It's not that knives are not used, just that for actually eating meals the fork and spoon choice is more popular. 
Funnily enough, we were in a Pizza place for lunch today and we were given a fork and knife - I'd have thought pizza was an obvious choice for no cutlery and fingers only.
I was mainly responding to Slippery's claim that there wasn't a knife in his house.

A majority of Italians where I lived use a knife and fork for pizza and if you want it in slices you have to explicitly ask for it that way.

8 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

There are many scenarios where wearing a watch is superior, as evidenced by the amount of people who ask me for the time.

Name three. 

As for the waste of resources, if you can't afford a fiver for a watch then by all means, go without. Otherwise stop complaining about resources whilst you buy your tenth pint/pair of trainers/jeans/et cetera. I was mainly responding to Slippery's claim that there wasn't a knife in his house.

1) I'm not 'going without' because I just have a phone instead m8. 

2) The vast majority of watches purchased in the UK are not £5 bangers out of the Argos catalogue, but rather hundreds if not thousands of pounds being spent on something with as much practical purpose as carrying around a sundial. 

It's a bizarre vanity exercise, nothing more. 

Name three. 

I'm loath to stoop to such inanities (were you one of those weirdos in school who asked girls for "three good reasons" why they wouldn't go out with them?) but here we go, I'll chuck in some more for free.

1. When you are carrying things.
2. When you are moving faster than walking pace.
3. When you are sat down with a barrier making access to a phone in your pocket awkward (e.g. sitting in a non-aisle seat on a plane).
4. When you are reading a book.
5. When your phone is out of battery or charging out of reach.
6. When your phone is in your purse.
7. When you are places phones are banned.
8. When having a phone in your pocket is impractical.
9. When watching a football match.

In all those scenarios a quick glance at your wrist is the best way to know the time. Thinking spending a few quid for that convenience is a bizarre vanity exercise is itself bizarre.

1) I'm not 'going without' because I just have a phone instead m8. 
2) The vast majority of watches purchased in the UK are not £5 bangers out of the Argos catalogue, but rather hundreds if not thousands of pounds being spent on something with as much practical purpose as carrying around a sundial. 
It's a bizarre vanity exercise, nothing more. 

For someone who's normally a decent debater this is a woeful effort. Firstly, the most popular brand of watch in the UK is Casio followed by Sekonda and Seiko, and the top 75 best selling watches on amazon.co.uk are all under £100, so the assertion that the vast majority of watches are an expensive vanity exercise is absurd.

Secondly, if you want to discredit the entire watch wearing public because some people use them for vanity then try applying that to other goods and services. I'd love to see a list of your possessions or how often you get a haircut.

I don't wear a watch for two reasons.

1) I'm left-handed so it's going to be a problem when I'm writing anything (and a watch on right wrist is even worse than the cutlery in wrong hand stuff)

2) I don't need a fucking watch, FFS. I can tell the time on my phone if I need to know.

29 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I don't wear a watch for two reasons.

1) I'm left-handed so it's going to be a problem when I'm writing anything (and a watch on right wrist is even worse than the cutlery in wrong hand stuff)

2) I don't need a fucking watch, FFS. I can tell the time on my phone if I need to know.

As a proud £5 Casio owner I can confirm that checking it is quicker than taking my phone out of my pocket, trying my thumb print to switch it on, failing, wiping my thumb, trying again, failing and keying in my 4 digit code.

16 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

As a proud £5 Casio owner I can confirm that checking it is quicker than taking my phone out of my pocket, trying my thumb print to switch it on, failing, wiping my thumb, trying again, failing and keying in my 4 digit code.

What kind of shit phone do you have that you need to unlock it to see the time?

2 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

What kind of shit phone do you have that you need to unlock it to see the time?

Sony XZ1 Compact, in combination with a light weight watch I'm perfectly equipped for an easy but punctual modern life.

Which reminds me of another time a wristwatch proves useful: when your hands aren't clean, such as cooking or gardening.

Watches are crazy at the moment, especially Rolex if you could somehow manage to buy a Daytona from an authorised dealer, then as soon as you walk out the shop door you've made 15k at least. Past few years non stop price increase, a better investment than property.

Thank you.