Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

2 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Some people absolutely lap that shit up. They see how much the reduction is and don't care how much the actual cost is, especially in comparison to similar items or in general.

My dad fucking did that a lot. Anything reduced was a bargain no matter what. Fucking infuriating.

Mrs P is a nightmare for this.  Will phone me on the way home saying "you should see all this stuff I've got , I saved over a hundred pounds". No what you mean is you've just spent £200 when the only reason you were out in the first place was to go to the f*cking opticians !

4 minutes ago, JamesP_81 said:

Mrs P is a nightmare for this.  Will phone me on the way home saying "you should see all this stuff I've got , I saved over a hundred pounds". No what you mean is you've just spent £200 when the only reason you were out in the first place was to go to the f*cking opticians !

The new glasses are obviously working a treat.

People on Zoom presentations fucking knitting. I am in a training webinar and two of the other participants are sitting,  camera on, knitting away. 

It is pretty petty as when I think about it we are just listening so there is no practical reason for them not to but it just annoys me, kind of rude to people who are speaking. At least turn the camera off.

Edited by Jambomo

8 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

webinar 

This is my PTTGOYN. Seminar just means a conference/meeting usually to do with training. There's no distinction between it being in person or online, so there was never any need to call it a "web-based seminar" and there was certainly no need to shorten that to the horrific webinar. Could probably put this in the business speak thread as it's definitely a braindead business c**t who has coined it. 

5 hours ago, scottsdad said:

I worked in a furniture shop part time many years ago. The shop never used computers for anything at all. One day in January we were making up the signs for the January sales, using card, stencils and felt tip pens (the shop went out of business years ago).

A suite that has been £899 was advertised as "Now Half Price. Was £1599, now £799". Fairly certain that would be illegal now, and might have been back then. The boss justified it by saying it was on sale, and the rest was just marketing.

There was a big scandal in the late Eighties regarding a long-deceased furniture chain (the era's DFS) who would regularly increase their prices for a couple of days, then drop them to the exact same levels and advertise a massive sale with deep discounts. Front-page news in the tabloids at the time; presumably their chairman had pissed off one of the paper's owners. I believe the law was changed as a result so that discounts can only be advertised on items that have been at the prior price for a longer period (still something daft like a couple of weeks, or a month).

I can't remember their name - something like Alldays or Alders? They had a huge outlet near where I lived at the time, and it closed within a year of the new laws coming in, which spoke volumes.

28 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

People on Zoom presentations fucking knitting. I am in a training webinar and two of the other participants are sitting,  camera on, knitting away. 

It is pretty petty as when I think about it we are just listening so there is no practical reason for them not to but it just annoys me, kind of rude to people who are speaking. At least turn the camera off.

At least they weren't doing a Jeffrey Toobin.

8 minutes ago, BFTD said:

There was a big scandal in the late Eighties regarding a long-deceased furniture chain (the era's DFS) who would regularly increase their prices for a couple of days, then drop them to the exact same levels and advertise a massive sale with deep discounts. Front-page news in the tabloids at the time; presumably their chairman had pissed off one of the paper's owners. I believe the law was changed as a result so that discounts can only be advertised on items that have been at the prior price for a longer period (still something daft like a couple of weeks, or a month).

I can't remember their name - something like Alldays or Alders? They had a huge outlet near where I lived at the time, and it closed within a year of the new laws coming in, which spoke volumes.

was that not MFI?  Flatpack stuff affectionately known as Made for Idiots.

Just now, Left Back said:

was that not MFI?  Flatpack stuff affectionately known as Made for Idiots.

No, but I'd imagine it was pretty common practice at the time. The chain I'm thinking of just got the brunt of the bad press.

This is going to annoy me now. Definitely started with an 'A', and was about six letters long.

The next generation will never know this frustration; they'll just use Google Street View to go back in time to the building they operated out of.

10 minutes ago, BFTD said:

No, but I'd imagine it was pretty common practice at the time. The chain I'm thinking of just got the brunt of the bad press.

This is going to annoy me now. Definitely started with an 'A', and was about six letters long.

The next generation will never know this frustration; they'll just use Google Street View to go back in time to the building they operated out of.

Is this Clackmannanshire or further afield?

Alldays from memory was a shop like the co-op that seems to have vanished.

2 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Is this Clackmannanshire or further afield?

Alldays from memory was a shop like the co-op that seems to have vanished.

This was in the south of England; they may have spread further, but I'm not sure.

It's definitely not Alldays or Alders, but it was a similar name. Alders was a chain of department stores; I remember walking past their Croydon branch a fair bit.

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

TJ Hughes on Trongate got a similar slap on the wrists years ago for having more than one "closing down sale", staged around rent review or lease renewal time.

They've finally gone through with it recently and moved to the St Enoch's centre so the old building will likely be the next demolition job down that way.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

My ex from a decade ago used to love 50% off sales so she'd buy two of the same tshirt. She'd never wear them twice as much though. God no, people would think she was "a mink". 

T shirts turn into a shapeless mess quicker than most clothes tbf so it's not a terrible idea to have a replacement for when the original becomes one for the house only. 

3 hours ago, BFTD said:

From memory, to stay within the law they had to actually offer it for sale somewhere for the higher price for a specified period...they'd pick out one branch in Plymouth or Lincoln or wherever to sell it at that price - which obviously no c**t would ever buy it at - for a few months and they could subsequently claim it as a legit markdown.

There's going to be a shake up with teams at my work and the team I've been in since coming out of training is one the teams being affected. Petty I know, however this is taking affect from Monday and was dropped on my existing team during our fortnightly meeting this morning. 

2 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

From memory, to stay within the law they had to actually offer it for sale somewhere for the higher price for a specified period...they'd pick out one branch in Plymouth or Lincoln or wherever to sell it at that price - which obviously no c**t would ever buy it at - for a few months and they could subsequently claim it as a legit markdown.

Ratner's the Jewellers did this for several years prior to Gerald's bizarre "Our stuff is crap" speech which sank the company.

They had one shop in an obscure Welsh village, which sold nothing but marked everything at double the regular price. Therefore, every other shop in the country could sell things at "50% Off" and the masses loved it.

The age of the internet has probably done for those types of schemes, to a degree. If you're prepared to do any kind of shopping around at all, you can soon discover how those 'MASSIVE DISCOUNTS' stack up.

Forty years ago, if you only had one jewellers in your wee town, that was your whole world for pricing.