Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

22 hours ago, greendot said:

This thread title bugs the hell out of me every time i see it.

'Wild food' Foraging.  By definition foraging is for wild food.  Non wild food foraging is just shopping, there is no need to have wild food in that title! :guns

Thread title amended. Thank you for the feedback.

Been doing my current job for a few years now and I’m starting to get incredibly bored of it (and the industry in general I think). Definitely think I need a change, but problem is because I’m so comfortable in the job it’s easy, fairly decent money with minimal stress, and I’m finding it difficult to actually think about what I want to do instead that so just kind of floating along at the moment.

7 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Been doing my current job for a few years now and I’m starting to get incredibly bored of it (and the industry in general I think). Definitely think I need a change, but problem is because I’m so comfortable in the job it’s easy, fairly decent money with minimal stress, and I’m finding it difficult to actually think about what I want to do instead that so just kind of floating along at the moment.

Basically this but more the company I work for. 

Flight's been cancelled and they've offered me an alternative two days earlier which arrives close to midnight.

So not only do I have two days fewer holiday, and not only do I have a useless train ticket, but I'll also have to find somewhere to stay the night in Edinburgh.

Or get a refund and buy a much more expensive flight involving a very early morning start and a four hour change.

When they say "we sincerely apologise" I don't think their apology is at all sincere.

39 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Backbench Tory MP found 

How about a couple of directorships to help pass the time...

35 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I'm in a similar boat, except I do actually enjoy my work.  Trouble is that with it being non-engineering oil & gas and seeing how this climate emergency stuff is going, I seriously doubt I'll be doing what I am in 20 years time.  I have quite a lot of spare time between offshore stints and feel that this would be a great time to learn another trade to allow for an eventual transition, but I have absolutely no idea what that should be.

The Bounty Hunter is on just now though.  Maybe I could be one of them.

8 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

I have quite a lot of spare time between offshore stints and feel that this would be a great time to learn another trade to allow for an eventual transition, but I have absolutely no idea what that should be.

Maybe not a pool hustler.

9 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Kinda where I was, especially over the last 10-15 years of my 'career' (sorry, lets call it a job). Voluntary Severance was offered earlier in the summer at a max of 8 years, so I applied even although I had over 37 years service. Anyway, I was refused. 

Not sure it was petty, but for sure it made me think about the Employer-Employee relationship, so handed my notice in and bailed out a month ago.

Gonna let the dust settle and see what opportunities arise..

42 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Flight's been cancelled and they've offered me an alternative two days earlier which arrives close to midnight.

So not only do I have two days fewer holiday, and not only do I have a useless train ticket, but I'll also have to find somewhere to stay the night in Edinburgh.

Or get a refund and buy a much more expensive flight involving a very early morning start and a four hour change.

When they say "we sincerely apologise" I don't think their apology is at all sincere.

I'm very close to positive in saying that if there is another flight, even with another airline, that closer matches your planned dates, they have to fund it if they have cancelled a flight they offered and you paid for.

Edited by welshbairn

Presumably one for the unpopular opinions thread, but...

People complaining about "the cost of Christmas".

a) Christmas doesn't actually cost anything, it'll happen whether you like it or not. You might as well complain about "the cost of sunsets".

b) Like sunsets, it occurs in a very predictable fashion. You've had twelve months to plan for this.
And largely the same people moaning are the ones that want to spend a grand per kid on stuff that will be launched into a cupboard never to be seen again after a few days.

I'm very close to positive in saying that if there is another flight, even with another airline, that closer matches your planned dates, they have to fund it if they have cancelled a flight they offered and you paid for.
They did attach a .pdf of my rights but I was, and perhaps still am, too incandescent to read it. I'll peruse it after work tomorrow though. Thanks for the heads up. I think the only other options on that day involve changes though, not sure how that'd work.

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

My da's trying to get a flight to Thailand (sus reasons) and the application process feels like a total lottery with random weird obstructions thrown up.

Good luck with that, there is no way I would be trying to get to Thailand with all the hoops you have to jump through and then could easily end up in a hospital for 2 or more weeks from a dodgy test kit that they use over here, all at your expense.  It's a scam.

ETA - We use the NovaGen Antigen Test Kit, which is banned in the EU, as it's shite.

Edited by SlipperyP

Good luck with that, there is no way I would be trying to get to Thailand with all the hoops you have to jump through and then could easily end up in a hospital for 2 or more weeks from a dodgy test kit that they use over here, all at your expense.  It's a scam.
ETA - We use the NovaGen Antigen Test Kit, which is banned in the EU, as it's shite.

Our lateral flows tests are shite as well tbh. Though I expect it's a PCR when travelling?

6 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Our lateral flows tests are shite as well tbh. Though I expect it's a PCR when travelling?

LTF now, a paid one for the second day after to return to the UK. One I’ve went for is £18.50.

In August I had to pay £88 for a PCR test. Absolute insanity. 

Edited by Karpaty Lviv

23 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Yes PCR on arrival (quarantine until you receive your results, 24 hrs they say)You also have to get a lateral flow test on your 6th day, or whenever they stop/summon you during your holiday.  The government has a tracker on every move you make in the country.  Yes, we are testing people foreigners at random hoping they have the covid so they get their insurance/credit card fleeced. 2 week hospital stay minimum, no questions. As I said, it's a scam.

10 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Steven Gerrard: Rangers manager high on Aston Villa shortlist to replace Dean Smith - BBC Sport

Ponder.jpg