Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

2 hours ago, 'WellDel said:

It is the domain of middle aged, middle class men wandering aimlessly in their Farah trousers  knitted jumpers and wax jackets, waiting on their pretentious wife's buying a pile of vastly overpriced shite, just so they can pile it all in the Range Rover and say it's from 'Lewis's'.

If the advert was Liz Hurley in a see through Mrs Claus outfit, I still wouldn't go. No amount of advertising would make me want to go there. Their ad's with a 'message' about the spirit of Christmas etc are purely designed to maintain that image of being a bit above and more classy. Not selling, but spreading the joy and meaning of the season. Lot of shite.

The ad's you really want are the ones which show which shops actually stock the items you're kids and family are after.

f**k John Lewis, and f**k Christmas.

Bah humbug, etc. ......

seeing as you mentioned it...

Spoiler

Liz-Hurley.thumb.jpg.33fb4d4ad3a71c35cbd1252b31797a1a.jpg

That argument only holds up if they charged you less for taking away. It's the exact same price at a drive-thru as it is indoors.

Not really, it's all factored into the price. They need to make enough revenue to cover the cost of the dining area whether you take out or eat in. Those who take out are effectively subsidising those who eat in.

It's why (even without tax, licensing, etc.) it's more expensive for a beer in a pub than from a supermarket.

Not really, it's all factored into the price. They need to make enough revenue to cover the cost of the dining area whether you take out or eat in. Those who take out are effectively subsidising those who eat in.

It's why (even without tax, licensing, etc.) it's more expensive for a beer in a pub than from a supermarket.

I get that certainly but they were doing drive-thru only for about a year and we never saw any price cuts. I imagine if it was exclusively drive-thru only forever the prices certainly wouldn't drop to reflect the argument.

I get that certainly but they were doing drive-thru only for about a year and we never saw any price cuts. I imagine if it was exclusively drive-thru only forever the prices certainly wouldn't drop to reflect the argument.
They've still got to recoup the costs of the land and building whether people are using it for dining or not.

There's also the fact that price cuts are highly unlikely when a core element of their business is no longer allowed to function.

10 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I've just posted this in the Normal Island thread. "fans" crying over an advert. Imagine identifying yourself in public as a fan of John Lewis the shop. Imagine then further admitting that you cry at their adverts. And then imagine you think that's completely normal. 

I saw the Boots Xmas advert earlier - Jenna Coleman is in it.

I'll probably be buying a lot of stuff from Boots in the hope she's in there shopping at the same time.

11 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

The soundtrack, do these wimpy voiced cover versions that seem to prevail exist outside of adverts?

Are people buying it?

You of all people must remember the olden days when the Top of the Pops compilation albums made a fortune from cover bands, especially at Christmas. Hardly anyone noticed, f**k knows how they got the rights.

12 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

You of all people must remember the olden days when the Top of the Pops compilation albums made a fortune from cover bands, especially at Christmas. Hardly anyone noticed, f**k knows how they got the rights.

I do and they were better than this current option.I

http://topofthepopslps.weebly.com/about-the-albums.html

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

Judgemental women at hipster coffee vans. I'd had a coffee the day before from them and been given 2 tiny wee sachets of sugar. So this time I asked for 4.

"Four! FOUR? Do you hear that, he wants FOUR sugar. It'll rot your teeth. FOUR SUGAR!"

What I should have said was "Aye, 4 sugars because it's brown sugar that's crap and the bags are fucking tiny. And at £3 for a paper cup of hot flavoured water, I'll have as much sugar as I want"

But I didn't. I just smiled wanly and said "Aye, right ye are hen"

4 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

Judgemental women at hipster coffee vans. I'd had a coffee the day before from them and been given 2 tiny wee sachets of sugar. So this time I asked for 4.

"Four! FOUR? Do you hear that, he wants FOUR sugar. It'll rot your teeth. FOUR SUGAR!"

What I should have said was "Aye, 4 sugars because it's brown sugar that's crap and the bags are fucking tiny. And at £3 for a paper cup of hot flavoured water, I'll have as much sugar as I want"

But I didn't. I just smiled wanly and said "Aye, right ye are hen"

The correct way to deal with this is to go and post multiple scathing reviews on Trip Adviser/Yelp/Google Reviews.