Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

18 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

The time on the Sky+ banner still not having updated since the clocks going back

And yet on Saturday night the times along the top of the programme guide ran 12:30 - 1:00 - 1:30 - 1:00 - 1:30 - 2:00 so not sure why it has reverted to BST.

15 hours ago, Trackdaybob said:

I have other clothes for war. 

It's different when we deploy. They just throw a bag full of kit at us. No issues there. Well there wasn't the last time I had to prepeare to move. That was 2011 though. 

Must be difficult for crabs though, moving from one 5 star hotel to the next.

On 02/11/2021 at 18:14, Mark Connolly said:

The time on the Sky+ banner still not having updated since the clocks going back

On 02/11/2021 at 18:17, Trackdaybob said:

Should be fixed by Friday they say 🤔

How hard can it fucking be? 

Fixed now.

Don’t mind the odd trip to a McDonalds myself. I actually rate one of life’s simple pleasures as having a sausage & egg McMuffin and a coffee in McDonalds, early in the morning when the place is very quiet, no screeds of weans running around yet, no madness. Just sitting there quietly staring into the middle distance munching on your breakfast as the world wakes up around you…. However…

These touch-screen ordering point terminals. For fcuk sake. The ones in Tim Hortons are even worse. Want a coffee in Tim Hortons? On a screen it involves about three hundred individual actions. Choose latte, capuccino, whatever….select size….select sugar….select type of milk….add to order…go back to main screen…fcuk, blah, blah, de fcukedy-fcuk. Go to the counter instead and order ‘old school’ style? Looks like our local Tim Hortons have got rid of three staff and it’s now two folk like headless chickens trying to make up all the orders, and do the drive-through. The service is now dreadful, slow, and with reduced staff, looks a mess with the tables not being cleared or cleaned properly. Modern life but, eh. Technology, eh?

Snottery wee basturts’ on lunch break from the local school prodding away at these screens with their unvaccinated Covid-ridden wee fingers. The McDonalds ones are also sometimes very slow to accept your prodding, even though you are absolutely prodding the correct part of the screen.

They should all be thrown on bonfires tomorrow night. If Greggs ever introduce touch-screen terminals, I’m taking my own life. Rant over. 🤬

18 minutes ago, Trackdaybob said:

Get the app. Even I have the app. 

I could do that, I could have an app for everything. Personally, for something as simple as the odd casual visit to a McDonalds which I maybe do three or four times a year, I think it worked far better (for us, the customer) the way it used to. IE, join the queue, give your order to a human being, get your order, eat your order.

Just me. Probably not, I imagine the modern fast-food experience hacks off more people than me. I’m no technophobe dinosaur either. Honest. For something like a cup of coffee and a McMuffin, I just don’t want the whole ‘app’ or ‘screen prod’ thing. Some things actually were better in the old days.

1 minute ago, pozbaird said:

I could do that, I could have an app for everything. Personally, for something as simple as the odd casual visit to a McDonalds which I maybe do three or four times a year, I think it worked far better (for us, the customer) the way it used to. IE, join the queue, give your order to a human being, get your order, eat your order.

Just me. Probably not, I imagine the modern fast-food experience hacks off more people than me. I’m no technophobe dinosaur either. Honest. For something like a cup of coffee and a McMuffin, I just don’t want the whole ‘app’ or ‘screen prod’ thing. Some things actually were better in the old days.

We have had them in our place for a couple of years - at first they had staff assisting customers use them.  When the staff stopped assisting them, it all went to f**k for some reason and they went back to the old way.  Nice shiny screens sitting there unused.  They didn't roll the system out to other branches in our city surprisingly.

11 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Using the app, though, you can place your order before going there (which pings it through as soon as you arrive) and, particularly if you like to customise your order, you're not reliant on said human being keying it in right.

I do have a similar gripe, though. Was out for dinner last night in one of those Hungry Horse places. They too have an app, but it was empty so just ordered food and drink at the bar. When finished, the waitress comes over and asks if we'd like anything else. "Just a pint, please" returned "You need to order drinks on the app or at the bar."

If you are going to offer table service, whats the point in only offering food? Most people will wash their food down with something meaning you've saved them no trouble at all.

Edited by Todd_is_God

2 hours ago, pozbaird said:

I think it worked far better (for us, the customer) the way it used to. IE, join the queue, give your order to a human being, get your order, eat your order.

Just me. Probably not, I imagine the modern fast-food experience hacks off more people than me.

I agree with you there. Unfortunately, automation means less staff to pay hence the staff left are forever running about the place with their arses on fire. 

As seems usual, we take a system that works well, then f**k with it to save money ending up with something that doesn't work quite as well. That said, the brainwashed 'app' drones who don't know any better, lap it up as it means even less involvement with our humans. And they like that. 

3 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Sometimes the queue could be a bit long, but that worked fine for me, too.

Once I got the hang of the ordering screens I actually preferred them, although I've seen me reverting to the talk to a human option if there were queues at the touch screens.

It's been that long since I've been in a McDonalds it's probably all changed again.

1 hour ago, Trackdaybob said:

I agree with you there. Unfortunately, automation means less staff to pay hence the staff left are forever running about the place with their arses on fire. 

As seems usual, we take a system that works well, then f**k with it to save money ending up with something that doesn't work quite as well. That said, the brainwashed 'app' drones who don't know any better, lap it up as it means even less involvement with our humans. And they like that. 

I was in a Tim Hortons recently and their two touch-screen ordering screens were broken. They’d stuck a note on them saying ‘order at the till’. The problem being of course, they didn’t have (unlike the old days) the amount of staff needed to deal with taking orders face-to-face, and taking your payment. The staff they did have were running about mental trying to do five things at once. 

Some automation I reckon is brilliant though. Pay-at-the-pump for petrol. Feckin’ brilliant. You don’t need to lock the car, walk to the kiosk, join a queue that cannot fit into the small kiosk area, and wait ten minutes while some kunt buys four Mars Bars, a packet of Woodbine, puts the lottery on, and wants a receipt because it’s a company fuel card.

Swings and roundabouts.

Edited by pozbaird

Going to see comedian Jon Richardson. Meant to be rescheduled for this year. Nope now rescheduled for 2023. Bylin 

I bought tickets in 2019 for Elton John’s farewell tour. It’s been rescheduled twice and is now in 2023. Raging.

He’ll be saying his own farewell at this rate before the tour even comes round.

I actually prefer the machines at McDonalds etc. The order is at least what I ask for and I always hated the multiple queues. Whatever one you got into would aye have someone ordering for half the population and the woman on the till would be away getting ice creams or drinks for hours.

The new system is pretty good but when it goes wrong like most things....