Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

What are you blabbing on about?
Most of the time when someone asks you if you like Asian food, or Asian women, or have been to Asia, they really want to know your thoughts on the South Asian or East Asian versions. If someone asks you about Asia and you start talking about Uzbekistan or Iraq you get blank looks.

Someone asked me a few years ago if I'd been to Africa and I told them I was going to Algeria soon, they said "No, like Africa Africa".

2 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Another example is BBC Asian Network covering only a small part of the continent.

It doesn't help that most of the ex Soviet 'stans are considered as European in football terms. And what about Georgia, Armenia and Azerbaijan?

34 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Most of the time when someone asks you if you like Asian food, or Asian women, or have been to Asia, they really want to know your thoughts on the South Asian or East Asian versions. If someone asks you about Asia and you start talking about Uzbekistan or Iraq you get blank looks.

Someone asked me a few years ago if I'd been to Africa and I told them I was going to Algeria soon, they said "No, like Africa Africa".

A lassie at my work thought Africa was a country.

35 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Now I get you. I had that a few years ago when I mentioned Morocco. 

It doesn't help that most of the ex Soviet 'stans are considered as European in football terms. And what about Georgia, Armenia and Azerbaijan?
Surely of the literal five ex-Soviet 'stans only Kazakhstan are in UEFA? I'll give you Azerbaijan and I suppose Armenia (Hayastan), but that's still not even half.

7 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
16 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Surely of the literal five ex-Soviet 'stans only Kazakhstan are in UEFA? I'll give you Azerbaijan and I suppose Armenia (Hayastan), but that's still not even half.

Fair enough, but the continents are abstract terms with uncertain boundaries. The Middle East has far more in common with its North African neighbours than it's Eastern ones, but it's lumped together with China and Korea.

Fair enough, but the continents are abstract terms with uncertain boundaries. The Middle East has far more in common with its North African neighbours than it's Eastern ones, but it's lumped together with China and Korea.
The continents have a well-defined, non-arbitrary geographical definition about which there is broad concensus. When saying "Asia", "Europe" or "Africa" you're referring to the defined geographical area. If people start using them willy-nilly or referring to some nebulous cultural definition it erodes the meaning to the point where it's no longer useful for communication.

I'm aware that's probably an unpopular opinion and I understand your standpoint, but that's how things work in the perfect world I envisage.

It doesn't really matter that there aren't sharp cultural boundaries, that's to be expected. But perhaps living on an island it doesn't seem such a natural state to us. Alto-Adige has more in common with Tyrol than Lazio, but nevertheless it's part of Italy and everyone understands that.

3 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Now I get you. I had that a few years ago when I mentioned Morocco. 

I've been to Africa twice - Egypt and Morocco. I would have described their culture as Berber and Arab repectively, as distinct to what most (imho) would describe as African, and I would have pigeonholed as Sub-Saharan African. Then you think, "what about South Africa? Angola? Madagascar? 

Much more respectful, not to mention accurate, to refer to the countries rather than some all-encompassing generalisation of an area 120 (Africa) or 130 (Asia) times bigger than the UK. 

ETA: Make that Arab and Berber.

Edited by WhiteRoseKillie

I've been to Africa twice - Egypt and Morocco. I would have described their culture as Berber and Arab repectively, as distinct to what most (imho) would describe as African, and I would have pigeonholed as Sub-Saharan African. Then you think, "what about South Africa? Angola? Madagascar? 
Much more respectful, not to mention accurate, to refer to the countries rather than some all-encompassing generalisation of an area 120 (Africa) or 130 (Asia) times bigger than the UK. 
I agree with that, although I don't think there's anything wrong with a middle ground of referring to areas such as South Asia, West Africa or the Balkans. Though they are somewhat nebulous, a lot of folk have the Middle East bordering China whereas I wouldn't have it any further East than Iraq.

On 17/09/2021 at 22:52, die hard doonhamer said:

Baseball caps are great. I rotate between 3

One with the logo of the cricket club I am a member of/play for

An England cricket one (that'll be really popular on here)

An Arizona Cardinals one

I do feel like I need to add a plain one to the rotation.

Thank you; I think you prove my point re wearing them. Cricket teams and a US sports mob.

49 minutes ago, keithgy said:

I am getting abusive messages off a guy on Gumtree as i took a deposit on my caravan and would not sell it to him.

Probably the same arsehole that was abusing my wife when she put ours on gumtree a few weeks ago. We took a deposit and wouldn’t sell it to him as well. 

14 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

People who say "Asia(n)" when they actually mean "South Asia(n)" or "East Asia(n)".

Similarly with Africa which countries like Algeria are not really part of apparently.

North Africa's Lochee.

I will explain all later.