Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

5 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

My kids are 8, 5 and 1.  At the moment it's still mummy and daddy, but the eldest is starting to throw the odd mum and dad in to test the water. 

Doesn't bother me, but my wife keeps correcting her. 

My Dad was fine from the change from "Daddy" to "Dad" but my Mum insisted on "Mother". She's nearly deaf now so if I shout out from a another room when she wants something, and the windows are open, I get worried the neighbours will think I'm Anthony Perkins in Psycho.

5 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

I believe the Kartvelian languages are the only ones where mama means father. Everywhere else has it as mother.

Interestingly the Kartvelian for "Cart" sounds a bit like "Ulrika". Was kind of hoping for an etymological revelation there, but that will have to do.

I suppose nana is acceptable if you support a Borders team as it’s an English phrase. Papa for your Granda is definitely a Weegie thing.

I enjoy a good chortle each year as the wife embarks on her tour of east coast card shops searching for a “Happy Birthday Papa” card for the bairn to send to her Granda, returning fruitless and frustrated as usual.

On 18/09/2021 at 15:23, Shandon Par said:

I’ve rediscovered a love for baseball caps recently. Matched to my piratey complexion it gives me the look of someone likely to rob you then drive off in a battered pickup truck.

hqdefault.jpg

2 hours ago, Thorongil said:

I have never understood hats, other than in particularly cold weather. 

I see them as largely an affectation.

That’s a very Calvinist outlook Thor. You should try and throw yourself into enjoying life’s rich tapestry a bit more.

Always thought hats were for wallopers and minks, considering most of the people I used to know who wore baseball caps did so because "I couldn't be arsed washing my hair last night".

Then I picked up a cowboy hat and wore it for years, as you need something to cover your head in the desert sun. Brought it back here and it was remarkably useful for keeping the rain off. Then I lost it on the fucking train, and have found baseballs caps to be a reasonable substitute for keeping the sun out of my eyes, and the rain off my face.

So, we've established that a known walloper and OFTW wears a baseball cap, thus justifying the OP's position.