Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

11 hours ago, Funky Nosejob said:

Robert the Bruce died about 700 years ago. Allowing for 3 generations per century and an average of 2 children surviving to reproductive adulthood per generation, would mean there are currently about 2^21 (2,097,152) direct descendants of Robert the Bruce. 

You only need to go back 800ish years before everyone in Scotland has a common ancestor. Even for Europe it's only about 1300 years.

https://youtu.be/Fm0hOex4psA

Earlier this week, BBC and ITV both running cheery stories about Paul Gascoigne's goal celebration against Scotland with the same kind of what's-he-like-eh tone that they adopted 25 years ago.

It's common knowledge that the man's been drinking himself to death in the intervening years. Is it still not in poor taste to celebrate him sticking two fingers up to people who criticised his binge drinking while on duty with his national team?

The Scotland game is on at 1pm here. Problem is, ah’m oan the night shift. (Someone else can add  the Chewing the Fat gif).

So, I have to decide if I want to try and sleep for 2-3 hours, then get up for a couple in order to see them get their arses handed to them in real time.

or

Just sleep through the day and wait until I get up to find out how bad it was.  

It’s a dilemma. 

7 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

The Scotland game is on at 1pm here. Problem is, ah’m oan the night shift. (Someone else can add  the Chewing the Fat gif).

So, I have to decide if I want to try and sleep for 2-3 hours, then get up for a couple in order to see them get their arses handed to them in real time.

or

It’s a dilemma. 

It's option 1 every single time.

9 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

or

It’s a dilemma. 

Record it, stay off here, and watch back at your leisure.

It's not like you'll have to worry about anybody marching in to your work to discuss the soccer tournament happening in Europe  :P

I had to send a letter to HMRC pointing out the very basic factual errors in their 'tax rebate - f**k off' calculation for 19/20 and so needed an envelope and a stamp from the Post Office. 

I select an envelope and wait in the queue forever while Sadie (94) works out what her pension money would be in shillings and pence, or whatever ridiculous task takes so long to complete.

I get to the front of the queue only to be informed that 'we (the fucking Post Office) can't actually sell envelopes'. You need to go to the opposite side of the shop to queue again to buy it from WHSmith, before traipsing back up again to queue to buy a stamp, before sending a stupid fucking written letter in 2021. Which cost over £1 to send in total.

An absolute fucking useless waste of my time and resources on so many levels. 

Edited by vikingTON

I had to send a letter to HMRC pointing out the very basic factual errors in their 'tax rebate - f**k off' calculation for 19/20 and so needed an envelope and a stamp from the Post Office. 
I select an envelope and wait in the queue forever while Sadie (94) works out what her pension money would be in shillings and pence, or whatever ridiculous task takes so long to complete.
I get to the front of the queue only to be informed that 'we (the fucking Post Office) can't actually sell envelopes'. You need to go to the opposite side of the shop to queue again to buy it from WHSmith, before traipsing back up again to queue to buy a stamp, before sending a stupid fucking written letter in 2021. Which cost over £1 to send in total.
An absolute fucking useless waste of my time and resources on so many levels. 

Totally get what your point is in this day & age, electronic communication would be far more efficient, but, when you got to the front of the queue with the envelope at the post office counter, why didn’t you purchase the stamp then? It would have saved you queuing 3 times when 2 would have been enough.

11 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

Totally get what your point is in this day & age, electronic communication would be far more efficient, but, when you got to the front of the queue with the envelope at the post office counter, why didn’t you purchase the stamp then? It would have saved you queuing 3 times when 2 would have been enough.

1) I was at the front of the queue - not yet being served - when one of the assistants asked if I was sending an envelope and explained the ridiculous 'we can't sell you one' policy. 

2) My seethe overtook any thought of waiting any further to go to the counter and decided to deal with envelope nonsense first. An inefficient decision, to be sure. 

2 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

It's option 1 every single time.

Sigh. That’s almost certainly what I’ll end up doing. Then I’ll spend tonight’s shift absolutely knackered and screaming internally “Why? WHYYYY? You knew what was going to happen. You KNEW!!!”

2 hours ago, BFTD said:

Record it, stay off here, and watch back at your leisure.

Yeah, right. Like I have some kind of willpower or something. 

2 hours ago, BFTD said:

It's not like you'll have to worry about anybody marching in to your work to discuss the soccer tournament happening in Europe  :P

As it happens; I work alongside a Weegie. 😀  He’s thrilled the game is later in the day so he can watch the whole thing. Unlike Monday when he missed the first half. 

Edited by Shotgun

2 hours ago, virginton said:

1) I was at the front of the queue - not yet being served - when one of the assistants asked if I was sending an envelope and explained the ridiculous 'we can't sell you one' policy. 

2) My seethe overtook any thought of waiting any further to go to the counter and decided to deal with envelope nonsense first. An inefficient decision, to be sure. 

Down to HMRC with a sawn off shotgun next time:

766615308_download(4).jpg.e5b27f7a137d808e35173259e354664d.jpg

15 hours ago, BFTD said:

Earlier this week, BBC and ITV both running cheery stories about Paul Gascoigne's goal celebration against Scotland with the same kind of what's-he-like-eh tone that they adopted 25 years ago.

It's common knowledge that the man's been drinking himself to death in the intervening years. Is it still not in poor taste to celebrate him sticking two fingers up to people who criticised his binge drinking while on duty with his national team?

The people who were slating Gascoigne for the dentist chair weren't medical professionals or alcohol abuse support groups, it was the tabloid press who just wanted another front page outrage piece. 

Given the absence of any good faith motivation I think he was entitled to respond accordingly tbh. 

The dentist's chair stemmed from England players going out on the piss in Hong Kong.

England played a Hong Kong Golden XI Select and only won 1-0 (Les Ferdinand).

I only mention this because ex Meadowbank player and Dunfermline and Sheffield Wednesday hero Lee Bullen played in the Hong Kong select.