Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

I’ve got a mate who’s like this. Usually not completely made up lies, but every story has an element of truth that they wildly exaggerate and then absolutely double down on when pulled up on for it being ridiculous. Some of the stories are just mental that he thinks anyone believes them.
Iv had a mate or two like this, but more so workmates. A couple of absolute, beyond the pale fantasists. I just dont get it. I cant process whether they actually believe what they are saying is true, and if you cant even establish that, your mind just gets continually more blown.

I have a friend from school who is like this. His dad died young and I think he maybe turned to tall tales as a way to sort of validate his existence. I don't think every fantasist can lay claim to such an obvious reason for it but there's usually a strong 'I matter and need people to tell me so' theme with these folk.
Interesting thing about the current fantasist in my life is that very occasionally, a story, or at least the core of one will be verified by someone else which makes it really difficult.

Also has anserious habit of telling the same (perfectly plausible) story repeatedly as if it happened that day for the first time. I mean I must have heard this wee tale over a dozen times, told as if it happened that very day. Strange.

21 minutes ago, Pato said:

This meeting I'm in goes on till half 2

if the chairperson was sensible it would be over and done with by 1.55 but you can be there would be one non-football tosser who would said "Point of order, about point 5 on the agenda..." and continue to bore on while everyone else looks daggers at them. 

4 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Interesting thing about the current fantasist in my life is that very occasionally, a story, or at least the core of one will be verified by someone else which makes it really difficult.

Also has anserious habit of telling the same (perfectly plausible) story repeatedly as if it happened that day for the first time. I mean I must have heard this wee tale over a dozen times, told as if it happened that very day. Strange.

My mate doesn't tell lies but he does recount the same stories very repetitively, to the extent he uses exactly the same language and pauses for effect etc.

I always wonder how he can have perfect recall of his story, but not remember he's told it a hundred times.

4 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

My mate doesn't tell lies but he does recount the same stories very repetitively, to the extent he uses exactly the same language and pauses for effect etc.

I always wonder how he can have perfect recall of his story, but not remember he's told it a hundred times.

They do say that if you tell a story exactly the same way each time, it shows it's a lie because you've memorised it. If it was true, you'd be remembering different details each time you told it.

Just now, GordonD said:

They do say that if you tell a story exactly the same way each time, it shows it's a lie because you've memorised it. If it was true, you'd be remembering different details each time you told it.

They do tend to be to have a bit of exaggeration but not out right lies. There usually just work related and can be funny in his delivery so it's not irritating.

12 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

rather than just say "right OK, I shouldn't have lied" they've not only doubled but trebled down. Invented a whole back story and in turn, pretended they were somewhere else whilst on the phone to me on Saturday. 

IMG_20210614_182907.thumb.jpg.9d9a7b483af0ded2506c585e39fc203a.jpg

Sent around dinner time today. Really digging their heels in now. :lol:

7 hours ago, Bairnardo said:
10 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:
I’ve got a mate who’s like this. Usually not completely made up lies, but every story has an element of truth that they wildly exaggerate and then absolutely double down on when pulled up on for it being ridiculous. Some of the stories are just mental that he thinks anyone believes them.

Iv had a mate or two like this, but more so workmates. A couple of absolute, beyond the pale fantasists. I just dont get it. I cant process whether they actually believe what they are saying is true, and if you cant even establish that, your mind just gets continually more blown.

Aye I’ve got a workmate who’s really bad. The classic “I would have been playing for Scotland if I didn’t get an injury” is a classic that gets mentioned constantly, but there’s a new one each day. Usually to do with sparking someone out or nutting someone who crossed them. No idea why some weirdos seem to think it will impress others telling them stories about assaulting people. Always a horrible ‘inhales through teeth’ moment whenever he starts up.

Used to pal about with a boy who talked complete shite on a regular basis. It was never anything massive just constant little almost pointless ones. So many that I've forgotten most of them. One I can remember was in the height of James McFadden's career when he told me what his full name was and he had a middle name of McFadden. And he wasn't someone with some kind of dry sense of humour, he truly believed we believed the shite he came out with. The biggest annoyance with his lies was not knowing what was real. At school this kind of nonsense was acceptable for some reason and I think everyone knows a real life Jay Cartwright but after being out of school for a few years this shit should be knocked on the head.

Remembered a running lie he used to tell us. He had a 'girl next door' relationship with the lassie across the road from him and would regale us with stories about how he would go over for late night 'booty calls' and how she couldn't get enough of him. There was one day we happened to bump in to said lassie and he completely froze. He gave her an awkward hello and behaved like he'd never spoken to a girl before. She looked at him in almost disgust and wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire. Nothing was said about the exchange but oddly enough we were never told any wild stories about their 'relationship' from then on.

13 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I didn't realise I was pals with any Bon Accord fans.

Edited by velo army

14 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I have a mate who also tells the same stories over and over again. In his case he changes details every time he tells it. The other thing he does is appropriate other people's tales. You tell him something that happened to you; six months later he's telling the story as if it happened to him.

17 hours ago, GordonD said:

Might not be a lie rather they've just remembered the story more than the incident. 

2 hours ago, Arabdownunder said:

I have a mate who also tells the same stories over and over again. In his case he changes details every time he tells it. The other thing he does is appropriate other people's tales. You tell him something that happened to you; six months later he's telling the story as if it happened to him.

I caught one of my mates out with that last one, I told him a made up story when we were wee (not about me just about something else) and then when we were much older I remember him telling other people the story, he continued it even to the point where I explained I had made it up yet he insisted he couldn't even remember me being the one to bring it up. 

On lies, Cheesy Morrison went around Elgin telling everyone that he had bought the Bishops (infamous nightclub in Elgin) and that he had organised to fight Frank Bruno there at the opening.

He was in first year high school at the time.

Think it was a lie tbh.

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

On lies, Cheesy Morrison went around Elgin telling everyone that he had bought the Bishops (infamous nightclub in Elgin) and that he had organised to fight Frank Bruno there at the opening.

He was in first year high school at the time.

Think it was a lie tbh.

Jonah told us he had been picked for the England rugby team and that they were sending a train to Airdrie to pick him up. He was about 15 at the time.

He must've got injured because he didn't play.

This was the same guy that dressed in the school show costumes and said he was a sailor/fireman/policeman. The shows were all Gilbert and Sullivan productions.

This talk of lying b*****ds makes me think of footballers chatting up women and saying they're a footballer and kidding on they're a big player when in actual fact they're Stoneyburn's reserve left back.