Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

On 01/06/2021 at 23:06, BFTD said:

The answer in the short-term would be to make private lets less profitable.

As you say, never ever going to happen. It'd be like parliament agreeing to perpetual pay increases in line with inflation, and to outlaw working in industry after serving in government.

Some tax changes a couple of years ago actually made the tax rate on some buy to let profits over 100%, by restricting deductions for mortgage interest. So you can only make money out of buy to let now if you have enough money to buy a higher proportion outright. Keeps the plebs out and protects returns for the chaps, what. 

11 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Some tax changes a couple of years ago actually made the tax rate on some buy to let profits over 100%, by restricting deductions for mortgage interest. So you can only make money out of buy to let now if you have enough money to buy a higher proportion outright. Keeps the plebs out and protects returns for the chaps, what. 

This was a good thing imo.  A guy I worked with a few years ago took great delight in telling me how he could get houses for “free”.  Enough capital for a small deposit (pre the financial crash), let it out and get tax relief on the repayments.  Re-mortgage in a year or so to get your original deposit back.  The rent covers the repayments and he’s left with an appreciating asset he’s paid nothing for.  I knew a few guys that were doing this back in the day that helped drive up prices to the detriment of the housing market.

14 hours ago, Pato said:

Hit my thumb with a hammer. Not P&B hospital-worthy in terms of visible damage but it's throbbing.

Even Kenneth can't be bothered to turn up for that one.

9 hours ago, Left Back said:

This was a good thing imo.  A guy I worked with a few years ago took great delight in telling me how he could get houses for “free”.  Enough capital for a small deposit (pre the financial crash), let it out and get tax relief on the repayments.  Re-mortgage in a year or so to get your original deposit back.  The rent covers the repayments and he’s left with an appreciating asset he’s paid nothing for.  I knew a few guys that were doing this back in the day that helped drive up prices to the detriment of the housing market.

Yeah, it's probably helped put the brakes on the market overall, but the distributive effect is to help the wealthy get wealthier easier while stopping moderate savers from accumulating capital. Tory donors, for example, would be largely unaffected. 

Higher tax on rental profit and capital gains would have done the same but been much fairer. 

21 hours ago, Empty It said:

Anthony Joshua whoring himself out to every and any tv advert.

“Stay humble”.

I prefer Deontay Wilder’s style. Runs about playing with his pearl-handled machine guns and pistols, trains in his red velvet ring in his garden and mucks about with his speedboat on his lake and has a camouflaged up Rolls Royce. Might as well go batshit if you have that much money. 

50 minutes ago, Peter Grant said:

Heard the phrase”it’s the prekend” earlier. As in weekend but not quite. 

We will have a whip round for your defence.  Justifiable Homicide should be a skoosh.

1 hour ago, Peter Grant said:

“Stay humble”.

I prefer Deontay Wilder’s style. Runs about playing with his pearl-handled machine guns and pistols, trains in his red velvet ring in his garden and mucks about with his speedboat on his lake and has a camouflaged up Rolls Royce. Might as well go batshit if you have that much money. 

Don't see the point in Fury fighting him again, already battered him twice.

Thank you.

50 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Don't see the point in Fury fighting him again, already battered him twice.

Thank you.

Heard him earlier say “everyone know I was under some kind of ju-ju” in the last fight. No m8, your arse collapsed.

10 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Buying a house isn't the only way of accumulating capital.

My point wasn't that people should be enabled to be rentier capitalists. 

It was that the tories' idea of doing something about rentier capitalism was limited to stopping other people joining in. 

12 hours ago, Empty It said:

c***s that sit at a petrol pump after paying for 10 minutes faffing about with their phones, bag ect. Despite seeing a queue behind them.

Didn't realise you got your fuel in Inverness m8.