Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

50 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

pfft yer all too easily pleased. It' s getting lower every year. 

I usually get 2-3%, but this year it was 1% across the board due to Covid. Can’t really expect a good pay rise during the worst financial period in recent history.

1 hour ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I usually get 2-3%, but this year it was 1% across the board due to Covid. Can’t really expect a good pay rise during the worst financial period in recent history.

Totally depends on the industry. I’ve worked on clients who have made record profits this year and still reduced pay rises across the board, using Covid as an excuse.

4 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I fukin hate the union and my work mates.

£400 annual raise they are giving us. The union roll over and get fucked every decision that gets made. Probably cause folk who work with the company are of the thought line of "We're lucky to have a job never mind a raise" and just vote yes to whatever they are given, absolute Tory boot licking shite. 

I’m with Unison who challenge and question everything my employer does but unfortunately the branch reps are utterly useless. Probably gonna jump ship to a different union in the not too distant future.

pfft yer all too easily pleased. It' s getting lower every year. 
Above RPI is the the optimistic but realistic target for a rise unless there are some really special circumstances that merit a push otherwise.

If they have achieved that, its job done I'm afraid. Every time you get that, your salary relative to the cost of living improves, effectively, you get richer.

Thats not to say rich, but you become more well off for what you get versus what life costs.

Latest inflation figures from ONS was 0.4%, it came out yesterday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56502286

We got our annual payrise and bonus this week, I can't complain about either to be honest.  I earn a good salary and a review of some of our conditions has netted me a significant increase due to some non-payrise stuff. 

Bonsues aren't considered part of the package and we don't get them every year so I'm happy to get anything.  I used to work for a large financial company and there the bonus was considered part of your package and people would be absolutely raging if they only got a 5% bonus, people would demand meetings with managers about it, people would raise complaints.  The management team spent a huge amount of time producing evidence to back up what their bonus decisions were, it became an industry in itself.  Having said that, I got a 15% bonus one year, which was very welcome.

I worked in RBS for a bit and one woman told me that when the bank crashed in 2008 one of the guys asked for a meeting with the bosses following the announcement of no bonsues.  He was tearful and said he needed his bonus as they put it towards his kids private school fees and they couldn't afford it without the bonus.  The entire company had just been nationalised, was totally fucked, making some of the largest losses in history and this guy was wanting his usual £10,000+ bonus?  No m8.

Edited by ICTChris

2 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I worked in RBS for a bit and one woman told me that when the bank crashed in 2008 one of the guys asked for a meeting with teh bosses following the announcement of no bonsues.  He was tearful and said he needed his bonus as they put it towards his kids private school fees and they couldn't afford it without the bonus.  The entire company had just been nationalised, was totally fucked, making some of the largest losses in history and this guy was wanting his usual £10,000+ bonus?  No m8.

Did you work with Busta Nut back then?

2 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Did you work with Busta Nut back then?

Afraid not.

I work with a couple of people who are routinely completely rooked because of private school fees.  It's a nonsense.

Just now, ICTChris said:

Afraid not.

I work with a couple of people who are routinely completely rooked because of private school fees.  It's a nonsense.

My last job in the UK was with a company who routinely  paid bonuses  (but not always the same amount) so folk would assume the bonus was pretty much part of the package - a dangerous assumption if you're making your financial plans around it.   

We got our annual payrise and bonus this week, I can't complain about either to be honest.  I earn a good salary and a review of some of our conditions has netted me a significant increase due to some non-payrise stuff. 
Bonsues aren't considered part of the package and we don't get them every year so I'm happy to get anything.  I used to work for a large financial company and there the bonus was considered part of your package and people would be absolutely raging if they only got a 5% bonus, people would demand meetings with managers about it, people would raise complaints.  The management team spent a huge amount of time producing evidence to back up what their bonus decisions were, it became an industry in itself.  Having said that, I got a 15% bonus one year, which was very welcome.
I worked in RBS for a bit and one woman told me that when the bank crashed in 2008 one of the guys asked for a meeting with the bosses following the announcement of no bonsues.  He was tearful and said he needed his bonus as they put it towards his kids private school fees and they couldn't afford it without the bonus.  The entire company had just been nationalised, was totally fucked, making some of the largest losses in history and this guy was wanting his usual £10,000+ bonus?  No m8.
The guy worked in finance, earning a decent amount and hadn't put enough aside to cover a £10,000 emergency shortfall? Sell one of your BMWs you clown.

It depends which rate you are tied to.
RPIH was 1.7%
RPIX was 1.6%
RPI was 1.4%
CPI was 0.4%

The joys of working in pensions and annual increases.

My last job in the UK was with a company who routinely  paid bonuses  (but not always the same amount) so folk would assume the bonus was pretty much part of the package - a dangerous assumption if you're making your financial plans around it.   
I've never understood people who live like this. Worked in a sales job years ago and remember someone saying that if he didnt hit top bracket sales bonus every month then he wouldn't be able to afford to eat!! That's just insane.

I bought a new house a couple of years ago just as our union guy was negotiating what turned out to be a belter of an overtime pay deal. Was working with him a few months later and he asked if I was raging that I bought the house when I did as if I'd left it for another couple of months I could have added an extra 100k onto the houses I was looking at with the extra money I could earn! Maybe I'm the silly one but for me the thought of being in the position to earn really good money but still be worrying about covering all the bills every month seems utterly pointless.