Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

2 minutes ago, coprolite said:

The big benefit of self service for me is getting to pack in the correct order in my own time

You can do this at a regular checkout by putting the items on the conveyor belt in the order you want to pack them, doesn't everyone do this?

14 minutes ago, Gaz said:

There is a bloke who works in the ASDA in Grangemouth who has been nominated for and won numerous awards for customer service for being so friendly and chatty.

I will literally use any other till to avoid him as I find this kind of customer service completely overbearing.

In one of my student bar jobs, the guy who led the training emphasised one key point - customers want to tell you their problems, not to hear yours. 20 years on, this point seems to have disappeared in most public-facing roles.

7 minutes ago, coprolite said:

The big benefit of self service for me is getting to pack in the correct order in my own time. Tins at the bottom, bananas on top. 

My local home bargains doesn't have self service. A couple of months ago i bought a couple of plastic windscreen scrapers and a 4 pack of San Miguel (amongst other things). The woman on the till seemed to think her job was to scan stuff through as fast as possible and fling it down the wee chute thing really really hard. One of the tins impaled on the corner of a scraper and started spraying a fine mist of reasonably priced lager over me and my two kids and an innocent bystander. That wouldn't have happened on self service. 

😅😅😅

Also, the thing you love might not provide the opportunity for monetisation. I love riding my bike. I've never being interested in racing and nobody is going to pay me to just meander around for my own amusement.

Maybe not for your own amusement but I know a guy who earns a living pottering along on his bike across Provence leading cycling tours and he loves it.

Of course, your general point is sound; if everyone did what they loved there'd be no binmen. I understand not everyone's cut out to be an entrepreneur but with the way civilisation's heading it's becoming easier and easier to combine your aptitudes with your interests and make a living from it. Thirty years ago your parents would kick you out the house if you said "I love dogs so I'm going to make a living walking other people's dogs."

Another example: I love sitting on my arse doing f**k all and thanks to furlough I'm getting paid to live my dream!

The Sheffield Wednesday game is called off today and it was one of the super 6 selections so instead of just choosing another game they hve made it 5 teams and reduced the jackpot to 20k. How hard would it have been just to pick a new game ?

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

The big benefit of self service for me is getting to pack in the correct order in my own time. Tins at the bottom, bananas on top. 

My local home bargains doesn't have self service. A couple of months ago i bought a couple of plastic windscreen scrapers and a 4 pack of San Miguel (amongst other things). The woman on the till seemed to think her job was to scan stuff through as fast as possible and fling it down the wee chute thing really really hard. One of the tins impaled on the corner of a scraper and started spraying a fine mist of reasonably priced lager over me and my two kids and an innocent bystander. That wouldn't have happened on self service. 

Can you buy alcohol on a self-service till without having to get it authorised?

2 hours ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

You can do this at a regular checkout by putting the items on the conveyor belt in the order you want to pack them, doesn't everyone do this?

I do this  where self service isn't an option. Most checkout operators respect the order but there's a significant minority that will reach over a bag of potatoes and pick up a pepper. I don't want to take the risk if i don't have to. 

1 hour ago, throbber said:

The Sheffield Wednesday game is called off today and it was one of the super 6 selections so instead of just choosing another game they hve made it 5 teams and reduced the jackpot to 20k. How hard would it have been just to pick a new game ?

Not hard at all really, until the new team loses and folk complain that a team they didn't pick has cost them.

3 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Maybe not for your own amusement but I know a guy who earns a living pottering along on his bike across Provence leading cycling tours and he loves it.

I could counter that he isn't being paid to ride his bike but for being a tour operator. I have first-hand accounts from people who say that being responsible for the well being and happiness of a group of paying customers is very stressful and a lot of work. No matter though; we're in general agreement.

3 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Of course, your general point is sound; if everyone did what they loved there'd be no binmen. I understand not everyone's cut out to be an entrepreneur but with the way civilisation's heading it's becoming easier and easier to combine your aptitudes with your interests and make a living from it. Thirty years ago your parents would kick you out the house if you said "I love dogs so I'm going to make a living walking other people's dogs."

True dat. In my day, the message drilled into every school-leaver was that you needed to find a safe job. "Safe" meaning some kind of office work, rather than a factory or other manual labour where you could find yourself out of work at the drop of a hat. My first job was in a bank and I shit you not; I really thought I was set for life. I'd made it. Of course, within 10 years automation had done away with the need for most bank staff and the branch I'd worked at had closed. And why would any man with red blood in his veins even want a "safe" job anyway?

2 hours ago, Rugster said:

No. 

The ones in Dundee Kingsway do. I’ve been through a good few times recently with beer and wine and it’s not flagged up. Probably got some kind of sense for bald folk (before some smert c**t pitches in) being older than18.

@Robin Hood should be able to verify (not about the bald bit)

12 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

The ones in Dundee Kingsway do. I’ve been through a good few times recently with beer and wine and it’s not flagged up. Probably got some kind of sense for bald folk (before some smert c**t pitches in) being older than18.

@Robin Hood should be able to verify (not about the bald bit)

They’ll be approving it centrally. They started doing that when covid came in to stop coming over to your checkout. 

4 minutes ago, Rugster said:

They’ll be approving it centrally. They started doing that when covid came in to stop coming over to your checkout. 

How dare they assume my age.

My skin is fabulous and I could easily  pass for someone a lot younger.

Self-service tills are magic. You can take your time and don't have to talk to any c**t. Brilliant.

Home delivery is even better, as you don't have to navigate your way around hordes of glaikit numpties with no sense of the physical space they take up in the world. Still have to talk to the driver, but most of them are desperate to get away to the next drop-off, so are happy to keep the chat to a minimum.

I sympathise with the idea that there are fewer jobs due to self-service tills, but that's an argument for universal basic income. Surely to Christ it's the wage that people will be pining for, not the opportunity to spend forty hours a week of their finite existence having to process payments for a bunch of rude, obnoxious arseholes.