Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Self service tills are great. If it means I can get through the day speaking to one less person then that's all good for me!
Love the argument from boomers" I dont use them because they're keeping people out a job" they're creating more skilled jobs for people maintaining and repairing the machines not to mention the manufacturing of them you old tits.

2 minutes ago, Empty It said:
5 minutes ago, Gaz said:
Self service tills are great. If it means I can get through the day speaking to one less person then that's all good for me!

Love the argument from boomers" I dont use them because they're keeping people out a job" they're creating more skilled jobs for people maintaining and repairing the machines not to mention the manufacturing of them you old tits.

Tbh they are probably about 90% the same as the tills a shop assistant sits behind just with a but of a nicer interface and with less functionality so not entirely sure there will be much employment gained from using them, other than the fitters and they will be used once in a blue moon.

28 minutes ago, Empty It said:
31 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Don't know, but surely the same companies would have been maintaining/repairing/manufacturing  the old style tills so not sure there is net new business and thus jobs?

Probably is the same companies that maintain the old style tills but with the self service scanners effectively doubling the amount of tills in each shop these companies are surely hiring and training more people to maintain and repair. I would also be very surprised if there isnt quite a few repairs on the self service tills each week, how often do you go into a shop and they're not in service? If the public have access to it they will get broken all the time.

58 minutes ago, Empty It said:
1 hour ago, Gaz said:

they're creating more skilled jobs for people maintaining and repairing them 

This happens to my store maybe once every three months someone comes in and fixes them if they are that fucked. Usually the staff can sort it. 

Less tills ... less jobs. Pretty straight forward. 

Self scan... more theft 

1 minute ago, RH33 said:

Ada Linwood has just had a refit and about half the tills have been replace by self service tills.

@djchapsticks Paul the tim seems to still have a job though!

Unbelievable scenes - the one till I always avoid. Boy is a sloth.

Though given all that's came to light about him this week, he might be on a shoogly peg.

18 minutes ago, Robin.Hood said:

Self scan... more theft

Well before the first self scan check out appeared, the accountants would have worked out that the money saved by not paying staff will far exceed the maintenance costs and any money lost through theft. 

That's why they're there. They're not there to make it any easier for the customer despite what they may tell you. 

22 minutes ago, Robin.Hood said:

This happens to my store maybe once every three months someone comes in and fixes them if they are that fucked. Usually the staff can sort it. 

Less tills ... less jobs. Pretty straight forward. 

Self scan... more theft 

It's a victimless crime, ergo not a crime at all.

9 minutes ago, RH33 said:

Ada Linwood has just had a refit 

Good for her.

11 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I've had gastroenteritis the last couple of days with bad stomach cramps.

Strange thing is instead of eating a balanced and healthy diet I feel like stuffing my face with chips, burgers, pizzas etc once I've got rid of the bug

Take a big spoonful of Bisto.

It won't cure it, but it'll thicken it up.

7 minutes ago, Trackdaybob said:

Well before the first self scan check out appeared, the accountants would have worked out that the money saved by not paying staff will far exceed the maintenance costs and any money lost through theft. 

That's why they're there. They're not there to make it any easier for the customer despite what they may tell you. 

Won't see me arguing here. 

There is a bloke who works in the ASDA in Larbert who has been nominated for and won numerous awards for customer service for being so friendly and chatty.

I will literally use any other till to avoid him as I find this kind of customer service completely overbearing.

ETA: Larbert. No idea why I wrote Grangemouth!

Edited by Gaz

The big benefit of self service for me is getting to pack in the correct order in my own time. Tins at the bottom, bananas on top. 

My local home bargains doesn't have self service. A couple of months ago i bought a couple of plastic windscreen scrapers and a 4 pack of San Miguel (amongst other things). The woman on the till seemed to think her job was to scan stuff through as fast as possible and fling it down the wee chute thing really really hard. One of the tins impaled on the corner of a scraper and started spraying a fine mist of reasonably priced lager over me and my two kids and an innocent bystander. That wouldn't have happened on self service. 

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

I dislike the idea of self service given that the whole idea of it seems to be around punting human labour, so it leaves me doubly furious when shops have self scanners with no one dedicated to paying attention to them. Tesco etc are generally ok, but the Larbert Sainsburys is a joke. 

Human labour can be put to far better uses though than scanning a barcode on a bunch of items, and it is even more redundant now that cash has been massively phased out as a result of the pandemic.

A shorter working week all-round and version of basic income: yes. Keeping people behind tills all-day: Luddite backwardness.