Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

4 hours ago, Shotgun said:

It also overlooks the detail that just because you love doing something, that doesn't mean you're good enough to earn a living from it. In my younger days, I loved playing football. That doesn't mean I could just choose to do it as a career. Also, the thing you love might not provide the opportunity for monetisation. I love riding my bike. I've never being interested in racing and nobody is going to pay me to just meander around for my own amusement.

There’s also the possibility that you’d be able to do the job you’d love especially well, but it’s a limited market and somebody else already has the job...

831A026F-B85B-4F3A-8184-8D7DF1E42C11.jpeg.5f1fc2f3a91f9d6f7337ef2d00678218.jpeg

This may be regular practice but has this happened to anyone before? - 

I recently paid off the remaining £350 off a loan I had, the nice lassie on the phone took my payment details, confirmed the balance has been paid off and the loan will be closed, then said

Her 'Can I request that you don't cancel the Direct Debit on your bank account'

Me 'Why?'

Her' Because we will still take our the next payment you were due (£50) then refund it back into your account within 10 working days'

Me 'Why do you do that? I've paid the balance off, the loan should be closed'.

Her 'It's just the way we do it'

Now, £50 being taken out of my account then put back in within 10 days didn't affect me. I could afford to have £50 less in my account for that period time, but that £50 could buy you a weekly shop, which someone else may be desperate for.  You get it back yes, but should they still be taking payment from you after the loan is paid off?  I've never had that before in the 2 previous times I had a loan.

I recently paid off the remaining £350 off a loan I had, the nice lassie on the phone took my payment details, confirmed the balance has been paid off and the loan will be closed, then said
Me 'Why?'
Her' Because we will still take our the next payment you were due (£50) then refund it back into your account within 10 working days'
Now, £50 being taken out of my account then put back in within 10 days didn't affect me. I could afford to have £50 less in my account for that period time, but that £50 could buy you a weekly shop, which someone else may be desperate for.  You get it back yes, but should they still be taking payment from you after the loan is paid off?  I've never had that before in the 2 previous times I had a loan.
Nope. They're absolutely at it

1 minute ago, Mr X said:
15 minutes ago, TheScarf said:
Me 'Why?'

Nope. They're absolutely at it

That's what I thought.

Me 'Why?'

Depends when the DD is due. Most banks process the DD on their system a week before it actually comes off your bank account so could be that.

If that wasn’t the case then I’m stumped.

Depends when the DD is due. Most banks process the DD on their system a week before it actually comes off your bank account so could be that.

I thought of that but if that was the case surely they would just take the £50 off the final settlement payment?

Me 'Why?'
Who was the company? I had finance from Creation and paid it off early online. Right after that I cancelled the DD with my bank. Sounds like a lot of shite tbh and I'd be cancelling the DD. As long as you have proof you've paid off the remaining balance I can't think of any way you could be penalised there.

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
47 minutes ago, TheScarf said:
Me 'Why?'

Who was the company? I had finance from Creation and paid it off early online. Right after that I cancelled the DD with my bank. Sounds like a lot of shite tbh and I'd be cancelling the DD. As long as you have proof you've paid off the remaining balance I can't think of any way you could be penalised there.

Tesco bank.

8 minutes ago, The Naitch said:

Used to come off on the 1st and I called them on the 3rd to pay it off.  

1 minute ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

So did the usual £50 come out on the 1st, then you paid the rest on the 3rd?

If so, get the DD cancelled as they are at it.

Yeah, that's what happened.  I've cancelled the DD.

Yep, as others have said, cancel the DD. There’s no reason at all for them to take money off you once the loan is paid off. Temporarily or not. 
And if for some unimaginable reason there was, you’re entitled to a better explanation than “that’s just the way we do it”.  And in writing too. 
Sounds like it’s only a request on their part anyway which makes it even odder. It’s either required or it isn’t. 
So sod ‘em. Or tell them that you want them to give you $50 and say you’ll refund it on the first of next month. Because that’s just the way you do it. 

I don't think they are at it,  it's just a standard instruction that they'll give all customers paying off their final balance.  That way, there is no possibility of any mix up with final DD being taken/not taken.  I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have taken the extra 50 quid in this case as they had  enough time to get everything finalised between 3rd and 1st of next month. 

I don't think they are at it,  it's just a standard instruction that they'll give all customers paying off their final balance.  That way, there is no possibility of any mix up with final DD being taken/not taken.  I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have taken the extra 50 quid in this case as they had  enough time to get everything finalised between 3rd and 1st of next month. 
Again, that only makes sense if the final dd payment was part of the settlement figure. Which it wasn't.

The fact that the next dd payment wasn't due for almost a month makes it even more ludicrous.

Best case its just a call centre bod who doesn't understand the process so just tells everyone not to cancel and makes up some shit because they don't understand it.

1 hour ago, Funky Nosejob said:

There’s also the possibility that you’d be able to do the job you’d love especially well, but it’s a limited market and somebody else already has the job...

831A026F-B85B-4F3A-8184-8D7DF1E42C11.jpeg.5f1fc2f3a91f9d6f7337ef2d00678218.jpeg

Interviewing Woody Allen?