Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

3 hours ago, ConcernedReferee said:

You can't blame people for wanting to save a few quid but you can certainly blame people for taking the piss 

This. Particularly the people that seem to think an x box is some sort of currency :lol: 

A few years ago when the PS4 / Xbox One came out I made a fair bit of cash from buying up folks' old PS3s / Xbox 360s. They were typically advertised as a job lot for a quick sale. A decent deal was the console, a couple of control pads and a few games for maybe about £50 - £60. I'd clean the console / pads up and sell them individually and take the games to CeX. Made a profit of about £600 - £700 one summer.

What used to always amuse me (and still does) is when you see folk selling their console with ten games, and the games are FIFA 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 and 21 with the token COD thrown in. These folk have no concept that old sports games are worth absolutely nothing and still insist that they're worth a tenner each. Not to mention that it's not really different games - literally no-one is going to get bored playing FIFA 21 and stick FIFA 15 on for a change.

2 hours ago, Gaz said:

A few years ago when the PS4 / Xbox One came out I made a fair bit of cash from buying up folks' old PS3s / Xbox 360s. They were typically advertised as a job lot for a quick sale. A decent deal was the console, a couple of control pads and a few games for maybe about £50 - £60. I'd clean the console / pads up and sell them individually and take the games to CeX. Made a profit of about £600 - £700 one summer.

What used to always amuse me (and still does) is when you see folk selling their console with ten games, and the games are FIFA 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 and 21 with the token COD thrown in. These folk have no concept that old sports games are worth absolutely nothing and still insist that they're worth a tenner each. Not to mention that it's not really different games - literally no-one is going to get bored playing FIFA 21 and stick FIFA 15 on for a change.

Yeah, somebody has to actually want what you're selling before you can get the  price you want for  it...guy I know works in Missing Records in the town centre and he said they're forever getting punters in trying to sell them piles of terrible blockbuster-type DVDs which would be lucky to shift for 50p and wondering why the shop won't pay them top dollar for them.

"I paid ten pound for that..." "Did ye, aye?"

Likewise, those that come in with a vinyl collection largely consisting of Now That's What I Call Music compilations, which they could leave out with a big sign saying "FREE-PLEASE HELP YOURSELF" and still not find any takers.

Edited by Hillonearth

Yeah, somebody has to actually want what you're selling before you can get the  price you want for  it...guy I know works in Missing Records in the town centre and he said they're forever getting punters in trying to sell them piles of terrible blockbuster-type DVDs which would be lucky to shift for 50p and wondering why the shop won't pay them top dollar for them.
"I paid ten pound for that..." "Did ye, aye?"
Likewise, those that come in with a vinyl collection largely consisting of Now That's What I Call Music compilations, which they could leave out with a big sign saying "FREE-PLEASE HELP YOURSELF" and still not find any takers.

I know shops need to make a profit but they're chancing b*****ds as well. I remember when the Wii was still all the rage I took in 14 (brand new) games* to Cash Generator as I had no use for them. The offer was £12 which I was quite pleased with until the answer to my question of "each, aye?" was "Altogether". I remember bursting out laughing and leaving.

* They were given to me, I never stole them.

12 minutes ago, red23 said:

people binge watching netflix, the most boring & pathetic existence known to man.

1am, I'll just watch another 10 - 15 minutes to see how this bit ends then I'll go to bed...

21 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I know shops need to make a profit but they're chancing b*****ds as well. I remember when the Wii was still all the rage I took in 14 (brand new) games* to Cash Generator as I had no use for them. The offer was £12 which I was quite pleased with until the answer to my question of "each, aye?" was "Altogether". I remember bursting out laughing and leaving.

I must admit some of them are nightmares - Cash Generator and CeX being two of the worst, although the former at least has the advantage of being genuinely clueless about pricing...I remember once picking up about £700-worth of guitar there for about £120.

Regarding Missing, they're pretty consistent about offering folk about half of what they'll put it out for sale for, although if you take a credit note rather than cash that jumps up to about 70-75% - they're more aiming for the collectors market though, and I was more thinking in terms of people who are showing up there with their Mission: Impossible and Bourne DVDs looking for a fiver a disc for items that are essentially worthless in resale terms.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

The problem with the Wii being 'all the rage' was that 90% of Wii purchases were by middle-aged women who played Wii Fit once, let it sit under the telly for a year, and eventually punted it at the same time as thousands of other middle-aged women.

Apart from AAA Nintendo titles the Wii has very few games worth anything, and that was always the case even in its heydey.

Plus, it's never worth taking brand new (not stolen) games to these places as they have to open them anyway in case someone with access to a shrink wrap machine has slipped them an empty box.

Plus, it's never worth taking brand new (not stolen) games to these places as they have to open them anyway in case someone with access to a shrink wrap machine has slipped them an empty box.
Along those lines, my mate used to work in Game, many years ago. He swiped a roll of the security stickers they put on the case. We used to regularly buy games then stick a new sticker on them and return if they were shite

people binge watching netflix, the most boring & pathetic existence known to man.
Nobody should be allowed to make posts like this without providing their preferred alternatives.

"I'm a creative - my whittled frozen jobbies have caused quite a stir!"

51 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Nobody should be allowed to make posts like this without providing their preferred alternatives.

"I'm a creative - my whittled frozen jobbies have caused quite a stir!"

You'll get a job with Accies TV if you keep up that patter

On 08/02/2021 at 21:39, red23 said:

On 09/02/2021 at 11:47, 19QOS19 said:
On 08/02/2021 at 21:39, red23 said:

Why does that upset you?

I was gonna suggest that getting annoyed by folk watching telly is a bit weird.