Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

38 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I liked Frank Rijkaard but Rudi Voeller thought he was a gobby b*****d

Reminded me of the wonderful quote from Jackie Charlton. "If he'd a gobbed on me, I'd a chinned 'im."

I picked a coupon today but never had my bank card handy so ended up looking at jackets and trainers and forgot all about it. It come in. I would have won £80 but instead I was left with the original £20. I have just went to buy the trainers I posted the other night in the trainers thread saying I was 50/50 over to cheer myself up a bit. 

Selt oot. Fml. 

Sponsorship in sport.

Not all of it, obviously - if a local businessman wants to pay to have his company name on (say) Cowdenbeath's shirts, then that's fine - publicity for him and a nice chunk of change in the club's bank account.

I'm talking about big events like the Olympics, where you get things like Mars advertising themselves as "Official Snack Food of the 2012 Olympics". (May not be an actual example, but it was something like that.) I'm sure that earlier this year I saw an advert for a firm which was "The Official Estate Agents of the 2020 GB Olympic Team." Aye, right; I'm sure the athletes were queueing up to sell their houses while they were in training.

I also seem to remember that when Coca-Cola was "The Official Soft Drink" of one of the Olympics, people were searched on the way into the stadium and any cans from a rival company were confiscated in case they showed up in crowd shots,

17 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Sponsorship in sport.

Not all of it, obviously - if a local businessman wants to pay to have his company name on (say) Cowdenbeath's shirts, then that's fine - publicity for him and a nice chunk of change in the club's bank account.

I'm talking about big events like the Olympics, where you get things like Mars advertising themselves as "Official Snack Food of the 2012 Olympics". (May not be an actual example, but it was something like that.) I'm sure that earlier this year I saw an advert for a firm which was "The Official Estate Agents of the 2020 GB Olympic Team." Aye, right; I'm sure the athletes were queueing up to sell their houses while they were in training.

I also seem to remember that when Coca-Cola was "The Official Soft Drink" of one of the Olympics, people were searched on the way into the stadium and any cans from a rival company were confiscated in case they showed up in crowd shots,

Are you serious? Were these drinks replaced (presumably with Coca Cola)?

Sponsorship in sport.
Isn't there an official vape partner for one of our premiership teams?

20 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Trying to have a nice Saturday lie in. Doorbell goes. Thinking it's a delivery I rush downstairs. It's a builder touting for quotes. The same builder I told a couple of months ago I wasn't interested.

He got told to bugger off this time. 

Might have been more satisfying for you , if you’d wasted his time by asking him for a quote for several projects like a new extension  , knowing that you had absolutely no intention of getting him to do any work for you.

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

Are you serious? Were these drinks replaced (presumably with Coca Cola)?

TBH I'm not completely sure that's how it worked. Maybe people were warned in advance they wouldn't get in with rival companies' products so not to bring them.

1 minute ago, GordonD said:

TBH I'm not completely sure that's how it worked. Maybe people were warned in advance they wouldn't get in with rival companies' products so not to bring them.

That's bloody ridiculous. You'd pay a fortune for tickets and then told you can't bring in your drink of choice? I could nearly see through it if they were sitting in complimentary seats.

6 hours ago, GordonD said:

McDonald's b is one of the official sponsors of the Olympic Games. It always tickles me when we're shown an ad bragging about that, and then we go back to the coverage showing some Greek God of a sprinter, or a 5 1/2 stone gymnast. And I wonder if they've ever eaten a MacDonald's in their lives.

Dow Chemicals is also the "Official Chemical Company" of the Olympic Games so make of that what you will.

Edited by Shotgun

MacDonald's is one of the official sponsors of the Olympic Games. It always tickles me when we're shown an ad bragging about that, and then we go back to the coverage showing some Greek God of a sprinter, or a 5 1/2 stone gymnast. And I wonder if they've ever eaten a MacDonald's in their lives.
Dow Chemicals is also the "Official Chemistry Company" of the Olympic Games so make of that what you will.
Are you seriously doubting the nutritional value of a McDonald's meal? Why else would the world's best athletes have endorsed their products?! Tell me!...

d9ef405c059b960813e6b4b67eb11596.jpeg

49 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Are you seriously doubting the nutritional value of a McDonald's meal? Why else would the world's best athletes have endorsed their products?! Tell me!...

d9ef405c059b960813e6b4b67eb11596.jpeg

I don't remember this but apparently Michael Jordan insisted he "did" eat McDonalds and turned down endorsement deals for products he didn't use, or didn't like. So you're correct and I humbly withdraw my previous snark.

Edited by Shotgun

6 hours ago, weirdcal said:
6 hours ago, GordonD said:
Sponsorship in sport.

Isn't there an official vape partner for one of our premiership teams?

Hibs

7 hours ago, GordonD said:

Sponsorship in sport.

It's usually the shit that's not very good for you that sponsor major events - alcohol, fast food chains, Coke/Pepsi, betting companies, credit cards etc. Clearly all of these things in moderation will do you no harm but these companies don't want you to use their products in moderation. 

I'm boycotting the next World Cup if it's not sponsored by the world's main supplier of kale. 

Just seen a fridge magnet for “Göteborg, Sweden”

Although magnets from non-English speaking places with the place name written in English is a PTTGOYN in its own right, this one cheeses me off even more due to the switch from Swedish to English. 

24 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Just seen a fridge magnet for “Göteborg, Sweden”

Although magnets from non-English speaking places with the place name written in English is a PTTGOYN in its own right, this one cheeses me off even more due to the switch from Swedish to English. 

£1.99 for this beauty on ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KOLN-GERMANY-FRIDGE-MAGNET-SOUVENIR-IMAN-NEVERA-/121913310301

koln.JPG

You could start a collection...

Edited by The_Kincardine