Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

14 hours ago, Dee Man said:

Not directly related to this but related to folk spouting nonsense. 

Just read a guy on a FB page say that it's ridiculous he was fined for only going 6km/h over the 60km/h speed limit and that police should be concentrating on robberies. 

Where do you even start with tubes like that

Train drivers should know better  !!

Those and pigeons make a hell of a noise when you smack them at >75mph
The noise they make when they decide to sit on the Overhead Lines is rather impressive too......

2 hours ago, Raidernation said:

Watching tv and the number of times someone on “the team” has a personal issue and is told to take time off “as long as you need”
Does not fucking happen!

They just don't show the awkward conversation 15 minutes later when middle manager has to point out "you've only got 2 days of full sick pay left and hr says compassionate leave won't cover this so you'll have to take annual leave" 

Every Friday morning in every workplace, this phrase gets mercilessly overused...
 "Morning. How's it going?" 
 "Fine thanks. At least it's Friday!"
 Think of something else to say!!
Next time try "Never mind, soon be Monday again".

Every Friday morning in every workplace, this phrase gets mercilessly overused...

I am very much guilty of this unfortunately. What can I say instead? Some people in the office don’t like football and I’m not much in to weather tbh.

8 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Gonnae do a ton of drugs this weekend and cannot wait to get baw deep in a prostitute?

I'd basically just ignore them and pretend they don't exist.
I will safely tell you that you won't miss much

That covers my approach as much as possible while working from home and you’re right. It’s a bit harder to do face to face for most the week.

2 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

I am very much guilty of this unfortunately. What can I say instead? Some people in the office don’t like football and I’m not much in to weather tbh.

Why does there have to be a script? That's my point. 

Actually, the day of the week plays far too much of a part in these things, e.g. "Well it's Monday, you know what it's like" or "Friday the morra'" or the effervescent "It's Wednesday. Happy Hump Day!".

Pffft

Why does there have to be a script? That's my point. 
Actually, the day of the week plays far too much of a part in these things, e.g. "Well it's Monday, you know what it's like" or "Friday the morra'" or the effervescent "It's Wednesday. Happy Hump Day!".
Pffft

I’ve certainly never described Wednesday as hump day, at least I’m not guilty of that. So far though, it’s ignore them or ad-lib some of my best material with nothing to go in other than “morning”. Given these alternatives, I’ll probably stick with “least it’s Friday eh” when we return to office, and it’s Friday of course, for now.

7 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

Try this:

Colleague: "Morning, WRK. Alright?"

WRK: "Alright? I spent all day yesterday tracking down two testing kits and ignoring the backlog of awareness training which, although not my job, I offered to help out with and am now apparently solely responsible for, only to find that the People Hub haven't even identified the staff who will be subject to the fit testing, let alone sorted out their availability. Now I come in to an email from my LM's LM asking if I've organised the taping of the exercise yard for SD purposes - like we've got some magic tape that sticks to fucking grass.

So, aye, I'm alright.ffs"

1 minute ago, NJ2 said:

I’ve certainly never described Wednesday as hump day, at least I’m not guilty of that. So far though, it’s ignore them or ad-lib some of my best material with nothing to go in other than “morning”. Given these alternatives, I’ll probably stick with “least it’s Friday eh” when we return to office, and it’s Friday of course, for now.

Up to you of course but now I've drawn your attention to it you might cringe a little.

I suppose it's all part of the muzak that is banal conversation. Like WKR says, generally speaking when you ask someone how they are (another reflex utterance) no-one really wants to hear the opener "Wait til I tell ye....."

Try this:
Colleague: "Morning, WRK. Alright?"
WRK: "Alright? I spent all day yesterday tracking down two testing kits and ignoring the backlog of awareness training which, although not my job, I offered to help out with and am now apparently solely responsible for, only to find that the People Hub haven't even identified the staff who will be subject to the fit testing, let alone sorted out their availability. Now I come in to an email from my LM's LM asking if I've organised the taping of the exercise yard for SD purposes - like we've got some magic tape that sticks to fucking grass.
So, aye, I'm alright.ffs"

Bit long winded, and wouldn’t really make sense in my workplace but I appreciate the offering.
Up to you of course but now I've drawn your attention to it you might cringe a little.
I suppose it's all part of the muzak that is banal conversation. Like WKR says, generally speaking when you ask someone how they are (another reflex utterance) no-one really wants to hear the opener "Wait til I tell ye....."

But what am I telling them that they won’t know after the “wait til I tell ye”? Seeing a lot of criticism but not much by way of alternatives...

1 minute ago, NJ2 said:

Bit long winded, and wouldn’t really make sense in my workplace but I appreciate the offering.

But what am I telling them that they won’t know after the “wait til I tell ye”? Seeing a lot of criticism but not much by way of alternatives...

What is this, an ESL class? Just don't mention that it's Friday. The rest is your responsibility, it's not like you're stuck for words, Mr. constant replier.

What is this, an ESL class? Just don't mention that it's Friday. The rest is your responsibility, it's not like you're stuck for words, Mr. constant replier.

Apparently not [emoji17] it’d be a pretty shite forum if nobody replied to anybody, silly.

1 minute ago, NJ2 said:

Apparently not emoji17.png it’d be a pretty shite forum if nobody replied to anybody, silly.

Aye, but what would it be like if everybody replied to everybody?