Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

1 hour ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Back when hayfever treatments were pish, I was in Kent for years, which has a pollen count that would terrify anyone with allergies. Best treatment I was offered was a nasal spray. Think about that for a minute; you're running with mucus to the point that a bucket would be more useful than tissues, struggling to breathe, and somebody decides that it's within the realms of possibility that you could inhale medicine  :blink:

Edit: I've just burned my bacon. Apparently I'm going to be perma-raging today.

Well, at least your bin will be handy...

2 hours ago, IainMorton said:

I use Asda’s own brand which are the best, compared to the stuff I got from the doctor last year - felt like I’d taken a right hook from Anthony Joshua half an hour after taking them!!

Asda’s own brand I use too. Best I’ve had.

50 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Was about to put this on the Litter thread but decided it should be firmly placed here.

Chewing gum.

I absolutely hate that stuff. If it's not some galloot yakking away at it even whilst talking to you, it's people gobbing it out in the street. We've all either stood on some or worse, sat on it and had to pick it off our troosers. I'm sure if every school or office turned over their desks and chairs and picked the old chuggy/chuddy off and threw it in a pile, a new Western Isle could be formed. 

Rank, mingin', ghastly stuff. Get that cone out for manufacturers, purveyors and users alike.

Chewing gum helps me concentrate. 

And it’s a good laugh to stuff in folks door locks and stop them getting the key in.

1 minute ago, 8MileBU said:

And it’s a good laugh to stuff in folks door locks and stop them getting the key in.

and what about throwing it away, or is that the strict preserve for other stuff ??

3 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

The sound of your mouth churning helps you concentrate? Does it block out the world? 

All of this mindfulness stuff flying about when all it takes is a stick of Juicy Fruit.

1 hour ago, jimbaxters said:

Was about to put this on the Litter thread but decided it should be firmly placed here.

Chewing gum.

I absolutely hate that stuff. If it's not some galloot yakking away at it even whilst talking to you, it's people gobbing it out in the street. We've all either stood on some or worse, sat on it and had to pick it off our troosers. I'm sure if every school or office turned over their desks and chairs and picked the old chuggy/chuddy off and threw it in a pile, a new Western Isle could be formed. 

Rank, mingin', ghastly stuff. Get that cone out for manufacturers, purveyors and users alike.

True but you can't beat it when you spit a bit out and connect with a clean volley.

Recently inherited the wean’s old iPad. Handy for playing videos and music while doing other stuff. I’ve noticed that it turns itself on when you plug it in to charge, which I didn’t know about until leaving it charging all night, only to find it was at 20% capacity. What’s worse is that is, if the battery is flat, it waits until it’s holding a minimum charge, THEN turns itself back on, so you have to hang about for the fucking thing to decide it’s ready for you to turn it off.

Figured this behaviour must be something you can change, so I looked at a few forums with other people asking the same question. The answers amount to no, you cannot change this behaviour. Apple has forbidden it. Why would you want to change this when Apple have decreed that it must be so? You are obviously using your device incorrectly if you do not wish it to be turned on while not in use.

All typed with a calm, rational, terrifying intensity. I’ve had my suspicions before, but this is a cult, isn’t it?

18 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Recently inherited the wean’s old iPad. Handy for playing videos and music while doing other stuff. I’ve noticed that it turns itself on when you plug it in to charge, which I didn’t know about until leaving it charging all night, only to find it was at 20% capacity. What’s worse is that is, if the battery is flat, it waits until it’s holding a minimum charge, THEN turns itself back on, so you have to hang about for the fucking thing to decide it’s ready for you to turn it off.

Figured this behaviour must be something you can change, so I looked at a few forums with other people asking the same question. The answers amount to no, you cannot change this behaviour. Apple has forbidden it. Why would you want to change this when Apple have decreed that it must be so? You are obviously using your device incorrectly if you do not wish it to be turned on while not in use.

All typed with a calm, rational, terrifying intensity. I’ve had my suspicions before, but this is a cult, isn’t it?

Buy a new iPad you hungry bàstard.

It should still charge while it’s on though. If after 8 or so hours charging it should be full battery and I think we’ve now realised why it was punted to you my friend.

Just now, Granny Danger said:

Why would you want to use an old iPad? Apple have ceased production on this model; surely that should be enough to tell you that it’s time to buy their latest release and send the old one back for innocent analysis.

You can buy the iPad Fango Vajazzle for only £999, which is less than your monthly wage and should be quite affordable, considering that cheque your father sent for your birthday. Would you like me to set a reminder on your work calendar?

FTFY

Just now, NJ2 said:

It should still charge while it’s on though. If after 8 or so hours charging it should be full battery and I think we’ve now realised why it was punted to you my friend.

It does...incredibly slowly. When turned off, it charges fairly fast. The battery lasts all day, so I’m happy with that.

I’m more concerned by a user base whose answer to most things seems to be, “Apple says no”.

It does...incredibly slowly. When turned off, it charges fairly fast. The battery lasts all day, so I’m happy with that.
I’m more concerned by a user base whose answer to most things seems to be, “Apple says no”.

If it’s only charged to 20% having been on charge all night I think it’s fucked.
Apple’s stock answer is usually more along the lines of it’ll cost money and be a complete fucking pain. Still though, beats having an Android.

Just now, NJ2 said:

If it’s only charged to 20% having been on charge all night I think it’s fucked.

...but it does everything I need it to during the day...?

Do you have any other Apple products to recommend I replace it with, by any chance? Perhaps a suggestion that I’m obviously using it incorrectly?  😂

...but it does everything I need it to during the day...?
Do you have any other Apple products to recommend I replace it with, by any chance? Perhaps a suggestion that I’m obviously using it incorrectly?  [emoji23]

Nah, I wouldn’t worry tbh mate. If it’s doing what you need then happy days. Might be on its last legs is all. Sounds similar to my phone, should really invest in a new one but it still works for now so f**k it.

1 hour ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Sounds like the battery is fucked. Or the charger. Have you switched it on at the wall? Anything beyond about 22 months for an iPad/iPhone and you’re on borrowed time.

27 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

Nah, I wouldn’t worry tbh mate. If it’s doing what you need then happy days. Might be on its last legs is all. Sounds similar to my phone, should really invest in a new one but it still works for now so f**k it.

You mean you don't rush out to buy a new phone every time a new one is released, or at least every year?! You continue to use a perfectly good product that doesn't need replaced?!

Madness. Heresy in fact.

You mean you don't rush out to buy a new phone every time a new one is released, or at least every year?! You continue to use a perfectly good product that doesn't need replaced?!
Madness. Heresy in fact.

I don’t, 4 or 5 years this fella has done me.
It isn’t perfectly good, screens got a crack in the corner, doesn’t charge properly and battery hardly lasts but it does for now.

5 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

I don’t, 4 or 5 years this fella has done me.
It isn’t perfectly good, screens got a crack in the corner, doesn’t charge properly and battery hardly lasts but it does for now.

Outrageous behaviour. Your social status must take a hammering, as we all know that it, and self worth, are directly linked to the phone you have.

Outrageous behaviour. Your social status must take a hammering, as we all know that it, and self worth, are directly linked to the phone you have.

Then I definitely should invest in a new one. Thanks for the advice DA, strength to strength from here on in!

1 minute ago, NJ2 said:

Then I definitely should invest in a new one. Thanks for the advice DA, strength to strength from here on in!

That's the spirit! One of us...

I use shit out too. Once had a phone that had a cracked screen, was missing two buttons and had been melted in an oven in a couple of places. Had my previous phone for about 3 or so years and old got a newer one as it was free as part of my (pretty cheap) contract. 

Had my old TV for 5 years until my parents got a new one and gave me their old one  Had my iPod since 2012 and hope to never have to replace it.

I’ve got an iPad Air that’s probably about 7 years old, battery is just beginning to go now. I’ll be getting a replacement battery before I’d even consider getting a new one! Same for my phone, I think mine is an iPhone 7 on a £14 a month Sim only deal. The battery is getting shite on that as well, so I’ll just get a new battery instead of spending fortunes on a phone.