Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

14 hours ago, NJ2 said:

The leagues will (might) be reconstructed, don’t you worry.
I’m also fine if we go down, we deserve it and hopefully we can get rid of some of the shite.

^^^^ putting on a brave face, crying inside.

the dumbing down of marine biology - leaves me seething; so, British scientist takes groundbreaking photograph of an octopus which lives 7000 metres down in the (south west pacific ?) - the most extreme depth at which any such creature has ever been observed.

the BBC then advise the public - agog at such fascinating news - that:

a) the creature has evolved to be able to withstand the extreme pressures at such a depth - has it, really - thanks for that cretinous insight 🙄

b) that because it looks a bit like a cartoon elephant, it's been christened Dumbo - for f**k's sake

why not refer to it as a 'pachyderm octopus' to give it some sense of gravitas commensurate with it's revelatory standing, or a sensible, proper zoological name like an elepuss or an octophant (my suggestion 👍 ) ?

fucking Dumbo - probably what Jaques Cousteau would have called it, eh  (well, maybe 'Dumbeau' in that specific instance...) ?

15 minutes ago, Herman Hessian said:

the dumbing down of marine biology - leaves me seething; so, British scientist takes groundbreaking photograph of an octopus which lives 7000 metres down in the (south west pacific ?) - the most extreme depth at which any such creature has ever been observed.

a) the creature has evolved to be able to withstand the extreme pressures at such a depth - has it, really - thanks for that cretinous insight 🙄

b) that because it looks a bit like a cartoon elephant, it's been christened Dumbo - for f**k's sake

why not refer to it as a 'pachyderm octopus' to give it some sense of gravitas commensurate with it's revelatory standing, or a sensible, proper zoological name like an elepuss or an octophant (my suggestion 👍 ) ?

fucking Dumbo - probably what Jaques Cousteau would have called it, eh  (well, maybe 'Dumbeau' in that specific instance...) ?

Came second in a “Name The Deep Sea Creature” competition type post.

1 hour ago, Herman Hessian said:

Pics of gtf.

2 hours ago, Herman Hessian said:

I don't know about Cousteau but an Italian would have called it lunch

4 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Knee still sore as hell meaning the morning walk was curtailed to just over 20 minutes.

Lovely day for walking too.  :(

Nearly that time of year too, well maybe no this year.

Along the lines of the above post and the BBC dumbing down its Natural History content. Enjoy each series of the Spring-Watch / Autumn-Watch programmes, but the intermittent giggles, guffaws and corny patter from Michaela Strachan really gets on my nerves.

Realise that the show is intended to appeal to a wider audience, just not sure why she insists on presenting her features as though she’s talking to a primary school class. Yes it’s petty but the others seem to manage ok without the forced bursts of giddy laughter. It’s also a reminder of how cranky and grouchy I’ve become as I get older, which then just pisses me off even more.☹️

28 minutes ago, Clockwork said:

Along the lines of the above post and the BBC dumbing down its Natural History content. Enjoy each series of the Spring-Watch / Autumn-Watch programmes, but the intermittent giggles, guffaws and corny patter from Michaela Strachan really gets on my nerves.

Realise that the show is intended to appeal to a wider audience, just not sure why she insists on presenting her features as though she’s talking to a primary school class. Yes it’s petty but the others seem to manage ok without the forced bursts of giddy laughter. It’s also a reminder of how cranky and grouchy I’ve become as I get older, which then just pisses me off even more.☹️

She's no chicken herself, I looked it up, 54. She hasn't changed much. Maybe she can't, I met 2 primary and a nursery teacher this weekend and they all talked to me like I was 5.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

2 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

She's no chicken herself, I looked it up, 54. She hasn't changed much. Maybe she can't, I met 2 primary and a nursery teacher this weekend and they all talked to me like I was 5.

I'm sure if you tried hard you could still understand them.