Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

58 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Testament to the creative minds of the Gaels:

That's a big mountain. What shall we call it? 

How about... Big Mountain? 

Genius.  What about that other big mountain on Mull? 

Superb. How about the biggest one in Assynt? We can't just have another Big Mountain. 

Agreed, we need another name. How about... Big Mountain Assynt? 

That'll do. 

It's a bit like when the Romans came over and asked the names.

What's that called?

We call it a river.(dee)

Writes down River Dee. (Dee Dee)

4 hours ago, Fullerene said:

.. and then there is Yorkshire which has the rivers Don and Humber, plus places like Scarborough, Rosedale, Pickering, Malton and Toronto.

There's also Bradford, Sheffield, Leeds, Whitby and York, East York, North York. Most places in Ontario have either British and First Nations names. Canadians can pronounce First Nations name no problem but Scarborough becomes Scar-burrow for some reason  

3 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Testament to the creative minds of the Gaels:

That's a big mountain. What shall we call it? 

Genius.  What about that other big mountain on Mull? 

Superb. How about the biggest one in Assynt? We can't just have another Big Mountain. 

Agreed, we need another name. How about... Big Mountain Assynt? 

That'll do. 

In all fairness these Ben More mountains are some distance apart.

IIRC there is somewhere in Argyll with a dozen mountains all called Ben Bhreac (I.e. speckled mountain) that are so close together that they all appear on the same OS map.

10 hours ago, welshbairn said:

What's that called?

We call it a river.(dee)

That's like the River Avon. Avon comes from the Welsh "Afon" which means "River"...

38 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Esk is another isn't it, just means water I think

... and so needing to name two of the largest rivers in Angus, the best we could come up with was a 'River North Esk' and a 'River South Esk'.

absolutely_2.jpg

Guest Moomintroll
What's that called?
We call it a river.(dee)

Bryn Law always raises a chuckle when is on Sky Sports,he is effectively called Hill Hill.

8 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
19 hours ago, welshbairn said:
What's that called?
We call it a river.(dee)

Bryn Law always raises a chuckle when is on Sky Sports,he is effectively called Hill Hill.

Just like the Law Hill in Dundee.  Should just be The Law

Perhaps c***s on a train thread, but there's always some wifey or another who has a container for I'm assuming coffee.

The pretentiously loud click that it makes when they open and close it is infuriating beyond description.

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

Perhaps c***s on a train thread, but there's always some wifey or another who has a container for I'm assuming coffee.

The pretentiously loud click that it makes when they open and close it is infuriating beyond description.

That's a really petty thing to get on your nerves, imho.

5 hours ago, hk blues said:

Just like the Law Hill in Dundee.  Should just be The Law

Mount Fujiyama translates as Mount Fuji Mountain. And (according to QI) Torpenhow Hill in Cumbria means Hillhillhill Hill.

What really irritates me is that there seems to be a new habit among  talking heads/'experts' being interviewed....

Interviewer asks them a question. Person replies with "So... (pause)..."  and then makes the reply. 

Is this another little device to confer upon themselves some additional level of wisdom , or authority, or... ?

8 minutes ago, beefybake said:

What really irritates me is that there seems to be a new habit among  talking heads/'experts' being interviewed....

Interviewer asks them a question. Person replies with "So... (pause)..."  and then makes the reply. 

Is this another little device to confer upon themselves some additional level of wisdom , or authority, or... ?

Posted the same thing a few months ago; it’s annoying as hell.

10 minutes ago, beefybake said:

Only excuse would be if it's a technique to avoid a nervous stutter. More likely they're twats.

6 hours ago, GordonD said:

Mount Fujiyama translates as Mount Fuji Mountain. And (according to QI) Torpenhow Hill in Cumbria means Hillhillhill Hill.

The highest hill in Cornwall is called Brown Willy. I wonder if that has another meaning?