Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

5 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Genuine conversation I had in Aberdeen a couple of years ago:

Me: Where are you from?

Him: Half way between Aberdeen & Inverness.

Me: Around Keith?

Him [surprised that I knew where Keith was]:  Well, a wee place outside of it.

Me: Drummuir?

Him: Aye

Me: Do you know [insert name of person]?

Him:  Aye, that's my cousin.  How do you know him?

Me:  I was speaking to him yesterday.

Which part of this exchange got on your nerves?

4 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Blondes with brown eyes instead of blue ones.  Just, naw.

maryam-dabo-as-kara-milovy-in-the-living

For avoidance of doubt, this is not (I repeat not) a proposal for an Aryan master-race society.  Some of my best friends are brunettes.

Maryam D'abo? Wid.

14 hours ago, Torpar said:

I feel the need to differentiate between London, England and London, Ontario every time I talk about one or the other places to someone. Same with Hamilton if I'm talking to my family in Scotland

I can understand it where there is possibility of confusion, but not every single time as an automatic  "collocation".

14 hours ago, Torpar said:

I feel the need to differentiate between London, England and London, Ontario every time I talk about one or the other places to someone. Same with Hamilton if I'm talking to my family in Scotland

.. and then there is Yorkshire which has the rivers Don and Humber, plus places like Scarborough, Rosedale, Pickering, Malton and Toronto.

Guest JTS98
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

I can understand it where there is possibility of confusion, but not every single time as an automatic  "collocation".

Is it not just something Americans are used to doing because they have so many common town names that being clear which you are referring to is important?

For example, a quick Google reveals there is a Greendale in California, one in Wisconsin, one in Missouri. There are probably more.

Add in that lots of American towns are named for places abroad, and the habit of saying 'Paris, France', suddenly seems more understandable. Again, according to Google, there are at least 23 towns or cities called Paris in the USA.

29 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

Is it not just something Americans are used to doing because they have so many common town names that being clear which you are referring to is important?

For example, a quick Google reveals there is a Greendale in California, one in Wisconsin, one in Missouri. There are probably more.

Add in that lots of American towns are named for places abroad, and the habit of saying 'Paris, France', suddenly seems more understandable. Again, according to Google, there are at least 23 towns or cities called Paris in the USA.

It's exactly that, i'd say.  I'm probably being a bit touchy as I dislike Americanisms and this is probably another example of such.  

Guest JTS98
4 minutes ago, hk blues said:

It's exactly that, i'd say.  I'm probably being a bit touchy as I dislike Americanisms and this is probably another example of such.  

Don't get me wrong, American English and Americanisms are pure shite. I'm just going to give them an irritating let-off on this one.

It can be difficult with places. My family are split between Scotland and Australia and I've got lots of Strayan friends. I constantly find myself having to refer to the 'real' Perth and the 'new fake' Perth.

Edited by JTS98

31 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

There are several repeats in Scotland such as climbing Ben More or catching a ferry from Tarbert.

Last week I went to Glasgow, Warsaw and London.  Kentucky.

I would like a film to say "New York City (United States of America)".  Just to be consistent.

Guest JTS98
2 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

There are several repeats in Scotland such as climbing Ben More or catching a ferry from Tarbert.

Last week I went to Glasgow, Warsaw and London.  Kentucky.

I would like a film to say "New York City (United States of America)".  Just to be consistent.

There's a Moscow in Ayrshire, isn't there?

Edited by JTS98

17 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Genuine conversation I had in Aberdeen a couple of years ago:

Me: Where are you from?

Him: Half way between Aberdeen & Inverness.

Me: Around Keith?

Him [surprised that I knew where Keith was]:  Well, a wee place outside of it.

Me: Drummuir?

Him: Aye

Me: Do you know [insert name of person]?

Him:  Aye, that's my cousin.  How do you know him?

Me:  I was speaking to him yesterday.

Pub manager: Who's that?

Barman: Just the Hedgecutter twins, pissed again.

45 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

Don't get me wrong, American English and Americanisms are pure shite. I'm just going to give them an irritating let-off on this one.

It can be difficult with places. My family are split between Scotland and Australia and I've got lots of Strayan friends. I constantly find myself having to refer to the 'real' Perth and the 'new fake' Perth.

How very dare you. 

46 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

There's a Moscow in Ayrshire, isn't there?

I've been to both Houston (Renfrewshire) & Houston (Texas) in the past year.  Dallas (Moray) too come to think of it. 

Eta: Aberdeen is also an obvious one. I've been to the ones in Washington, Colorado, Cape Breton, Hong Kong and Scotland (obviously).  There are loads more, but I have no desire to visit them. 5 is plenty. 

Edited by Hedgecutter

56 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

There are several repeats in Scotland such as climbing Ben More

Testament to the creative minds of the Gaels:

That's a big mountain. What shall we call it? 

How about... Big Mountain? 

Genius.  What about that other big mountain on Mull? 

How about... Big Mountain? 

Superb. How about the biggest one in Assynt? We can't just have another Big Mountain. 

Agreed, we need another name. How about... Big Mountain Assynt? 

That'll do. 

Edited by Hedgecutter