Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

47 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Also, my next door neighbour has just been wheeled into an ambulance that is parked outside my house and I don’t want to seem nosy by staring but I also want to know what’s wrong with him.

Probably corona virus.

Vehicles, normally vans, that have a sticker saying it's limited to 70mph. That's the legal limit across the country so why do they need to put this on the vehicle?

For those regular runs to the Autobahn, obvz 🤷🏼‍♂️

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Vehicles, normally vans, that have a sticker saying it's limited to 70mph. That's the legal limit across the country so why do they need to put this on the vehicle?

It let's anyone behind know that it can't go any faster, if they try to pass then it's not going to suddenly speed up.

Edited by bennett
Auto type thingy

People who say "Illinois in the US" as if we wouldn't know where Illinois is otherwise. 

Also, Weegies who presume that everybody is as geographically ignorant as them:

"Where are you from?" 

"A place just outside of Glasgow, doubt you'll know it"

"Try me... "

"OK, Irvine"

Edited by Hedgecutter

24 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

People who say "Illinois in the US' as if we wouldn't know where Illinois is otherwise. 

It's not the worst example - Paris, France and London,  England being amongst the better ones.  It's as if we're so dumb that we'd assume they meant Paris, Texas or London, Ohio otherwise.  

25 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

People who say "Illinois in the US' as if we wouldn't know where Illinois is otherwise. 

Do people actually say that? They're more likely to say "Chicago, Illinois".

On similar lines though, it pisses me off on things like game shows where the contestants are introduced as "John, from Banbury in Oxfordshire; Mary, from Bournemouth in Dorset; and Jim, from St. Andrew's in Scotland."

2 minutes ago, GordonD said:

On similar lines though, it pisses me off on things like game shows where the contestants are introduced as "John, from Banbury in Oxfordshire; Mary, from Bournemouth in Dorset; and Jim, from St. Andrew's in Scotland."

Jim is probably grateful not to be associated with Fife. 

12 minutes ago, GordonD said:

You quoted raidernation saying the very same thing an hour ago!

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

People who say "Illinois in the US" as if we wouldn't know where Illinois is otherwise. 

"Where are you from?" 

"Try me... "

"OK, Irvine"

People from these places are not Glaswegians, they're yokels with an inferiority complex.

Has anyone else noticed a bit of a North/South divide in the UK about the questions you ask folk you meet for the first time? When I lived in London or was anywhere in the South people usually ask other folk what they do for a living as a way to start a conversation. As you go further north people are more likely to ask where yer from. Even people from the same town want to localise what part of the town they're from.

2 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

When I lived in London or was anywhere in the South people usually ask other folk what they do for a living as a way to start a conversation.

If anybody says "I work offshore*" and then asks what I do, I reply with "I work onshore".

*so which do I presume:  cook/cleaner/steward, admin, electrician, welder, geologist, engineer, driller, roughneck, labourer, logistics coordinator, company man... ?

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

"Where are you from?" 

"Try me... "

"OK, Irvine"

I think you'd be surprised, there's a number of non-west coasters I've spoken with before who hadn't a scooby where Dumbarton is. I also find it a bit rich given that a lot of teuchters group basically anything in the central belt as Weegie and now you complain when folk tell you they're from Glasgow instead of the small, obscure town they actually are from.

51 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

I get narked at the opposite thing with English folk where they say they're from Herefordshire or something. Just say the name of the town.

It's so they sound better off than they are. Telling people you come from Lancashire sounds better than saying you're from Preston or Blackpool. Complete fannies, I agree. Genuinely never heard a Scot refer to the constituency they come from.

23 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Has anyone else noticed a bit of a North/South divide in the UK about the questions you ask folk you meet for the first time? When I lived in London or was anywhere in the South people usually ask other folk what they do for a living as a way to start a conversation. As you go further north people are more likely to ask where yer from. Even people from the same town want to localise what part of the town they're from.

Invariably just phrased as "What do you do?" which would tempt me to start off by listing the things I do in my spare time.

14 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

If anybody says "I work offshore*" and then asks what I do, I reply with "I work onshore".

*so which do I presume:  cook/cleaner/steward, admin, electrician, welder, geologist, engineer, driller, roughneck, labourer, logistics coordinator, company man... ?

...sitting in the barrel with his arse next to the bunghole...

It's so they sound better off than they are. Telling people you come from Lancashire sounds better than saying you're from Preston or Blackpool. Complete fannies, I agree. Genuinely never heard a Scot refer to the constituency they come from.

Hi, I’m from Ross, Skye and Lochaber.

People asking where I'm from is a pttgomn.  I usually just say Aberdeen* because it's easier than asking what people mean by "from" or why they think it's important. 

*(Aberdeen, Scotland i lived there longer than i lived anywhere else, but i'm not really "from" there.)