Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Companies that use URLs like www.billysbigwidgetwarehousescotlandplc.biz.

Companies that use URLs like the above, then brand company uniforms and vehicles with it, as though anybody seeing it will think anything other than 'nice word salad'.

c***s in pubs who ask "what's the cheapest beer/wine/spirit/whatever." Most places dont vary in price that much, you're no going to end up paying double the price for a pint cause you picked the one you liked based on taste not price.

A real calling card of morons thing to do that!

17 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Just realised I've sent an email asking someone to "please assign *job* to *person that's going to do the job* please" and I don't think I'll sleep tonight now.

Nothing wrong with being extra polite.

I'm being investigated at work for excessive absence. I've had six sick days in the past year. I also don't get paid if I'm off sick, and arrange my own cover at no extra cost, so the organisation actually profits from my absence.

Am I wrong for feeling a tad butthurt about this?

I'm being investigated at work for excessive absence. I've had six sick days in the past year. I also don't get paid if I'm off sick, and arrange my own cover at no extra cost, so the organisation actually profits from my absence.

That sounds shit.

8 hours ago, MixuFixit said:
11 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:
Companies that use URLs like www.billysbigwidgetwarehousescotlandplc.biz.

Companies that use URLs like the above, then brand company uniforms and vehicles with it, as though anybody seeing it will think anything other than 'nice word salad'.

The greatest business website is the waste disposal company whose lorries are all emblazoned with www.wemovesh.it

powergenitalia.co.it runs it close

35 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

In our workplace three separate episodes of sickness within six months, results in an interview, even if it is single days. Which is probably fair...

3 minutes ago, Angusfifer said:

In our workplace three separate episodes of sickness within six months, results in an interview, even if it is single days. Which is probably fair...

No it isn't 

10 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

What is fair?

Certainly not an absence level of 2.5%, or to put it better, an attendance level of 97.5%.

Things should always be judged on an individual basis. An arbitrary attendance level is nonsense, especially one that is designed to make someone feel they've done something wrong for being off for 3 days.

People don't owe companies a shred of loyalty as they'll get absolutely none in return as such dickhead policies show. Someone could be a great employee who does all their work well and gets on with everyone who won't have a single day absence in 5 years but could, for whatever reason, have 3 days off in a six month period and will be made to feel bad for it. It would be likely that nothing would happen but to be called in for  a 'chat' over such a stupid thing shows that companies are arseholes. 

I'm always amazed at how many people swallow the bullshit culture about 'working hard' and seeing folk who off as lazy or viewing them with suspicion. It leads to folk coming in to work ill and folk buckling under stress. 

Implied in these things is that if you have whatever time off it's because you're a malingerer and all it does is make people come to work when they're sick, get f**k all work done and make others sick.

Most workplaces have performance management stuff that can be applied in the cases of folk who really are taking the piss without this stupid blanket rule.

I have a colleague who has had one of these letters already and she's currently off with proper flu, so she'll get another letter when she's back where she'll have to explain why she was off like she had a choice in the matter.
Of course, it doesn't help when at every workplace I have ever been in, as soon as someone calls in sick all of their co-workers start calling them out as piss takers. Utterly mental. Between that and the amount of heroes who turn up in an absolute fucking state rather than have a day off sick, anyone doing the right thing stands no chance.

And as far as the "making other sick" thing goes, I have seen that in action after many years of not really taking it too seriously. Around 40 folk off with the shits within 5 days of case #1. Mental.