Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

3 hours ago, throbber said:

I know but i posted it as a pttgoyn because guests showed up at my house and drank my beer without bringing any themselves. It’s not like I’m being unreasonable by being moderately annoyed by it.

It wouldn’t have bothered me as it wasn’t my child.

Do you only offer someone an alcoholic drink when they visit your house on a strictly quid pro quo basis?

You seem a tad stingy about it.

Do you only offer someone an alcoholic drink when they visit your house on a strictly quid pro quo basis?
You seem a tad stingy about it.

Nah not at all, but if I’m going to a party at someone’s house when I know there’s going to be a beer or two consumed then I’ll bring some beer of my own. I don’t grudge the beer going and I’m not stingy about it but if you’re the host of a party you should be left with a surplus of food/booze/cake IMO.

Surely the rules are fairly simple...

If you are going to a kids party you take something for the kid.

If that happens to be an occassion where you intend to consume alcohol then you should also take some with you, as you should anytime you go to someones house knowing you will be drinking.

The two Chinese takeaways 5 mins either side of my house both being closed on a Monday. 

Then heading into town to find that the one usually open on Monday has a holiday notice on the door. 

Fucking boo. 

3 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

The two Chinese takeaways 5 mins either side of my house both being closed on a Monday. 

Then heading into town to find that the one usually open on Monday has a holiday notice on the door. 

Fucking boo. 

Get an indian then.

Surely the rules are fairly simple...

If you are going to a kids party you take something for the kid.

If that happens to be an occassion where you intend to consume alcohol then you should also take some with you, as you should anytime you go to someones house knowing you will be drinking.

Indeed it’s fairly simple.

If someone invites you to something where they are putting on and paying for food/drink for you to consume then you bring something either as a contribution or a thank you.

Indeed it’s fairly simple.

If someone invites you to something where they are putting on and paying for food/drink for you to consume then you bring something either as a contribution or a thank you.
What if they didn't know there was food and drink being put on? It's not a question I would think to ask.

What if they didn't know there was food and drink being put on? It's not a question I would think to ask.

Do you often get invited to parties where absolutely no refreshments are offered?

ETA - in your hypothetical I’d still err on the side of caution. I’d feel a bit of a brass neck showing up with nothing, being provided booze and saying ‘well you didn’t explicitly tell me’.

5 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Do you often get invited to parties where absolutely no refreshments are offered?

ETA - in your hypothetical I’d still err on the side of caution. I’d feel a bit of a brass neck showing up with nothing, being provided booze and saying ‘well you didn’t explicitly tell me’.

I'd be wary of how it would look turning up to a two year old's birthday party with a bottle of Stolichnaya, which is my usual offering.

Kids parties (in a house)? Yes. I wouldn't go to a kids party expecting to be fed so taking food really wouldn't enter my mind.

26 minutes ago, throbber said:

That is because you are an ageing sex pest.

Perhaps. Don't think offering to blow up balloons to twist into animal shapes would go down any better tbh, better just avoid them at my age.

Kids parties are terrible affairs. I'd have sunk two glasses of wine before I got there and taken a couple of bottles with me just to numb the pain of the inevitable soul-destroying small talk. Then fucked off from the adults and played with the kids on the trampoline. 

8 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Kids parties are terrible affairs. I'd have sunk two glasses of wine before I got there and taken a couple of bottles with me just to numb the pain of the inevitable soul-destroying small talk. Then fucked off from the adults and played with the kids on the trampoline. 

giphy.gif

9 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Open goal.