Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

I appreciate why you, and other people might think it's an instance of me being disrespectful towards other people but personally, I don't think it even matters given how rarely I do it. If I did it all of the time, I'd understand the strength of your feeling and probably agree that I was a right little rude git, but I don't.

although it is taking it to an extreme, murderers dont kill people all the time, does that make it any less bad because they only do it now and again. People may only make racist comments 1 or 2 times a year, but does that make any of those comments less racist? :unsure: Just because you are only parking in spaces not assigned to you, doesnt mean that it is any less relevant that you only do it 2 or 3 times a year/month whatever.

I'll have you know that that is a compulsory excess due to my age. :angry:

Hasn't a law just been passed that makes age discrimination illegal, though? I'm sure Tesco have been forced to pay employees under the age of 18 the same rate as people over the age of 18 now due to some law that was passed a couple of weeks ago. :unsure:

:lol::lol::lol:

However i dont think in insurance it would count, the same as living in luxury estates mean you will pay less insurance for the same car as living in the middle of the nedest of council estates. Insurance companies charge on how likely it is that you will have an accident, and the stats show that 18 year olds are more likely to have an accident than 30 year olds etc etc.

Not so much gets on my nerves,but makes me very angry-players who look completely disinterested while playing for your team and just give up and allow the opposition to rip the pish if they go one or two goals down.

Dunfermline Athletic FC- Ruining my weekends since 1994.

Following on from that, how about a player who scores a late equaliser and turns around and gives a 'shoosh' gesture to his own support?

I wouldn't mind if he was a decent player but guy is shocking, week in week out and just because a couple of numpties were giving it to him with both barrels he thinks it's a good idea to react like that after scoring his only goal so far this season.

If he had to stand behind chicken wire and run the gauntlet of Stone Island clad Fifers trying to start fights every time he went to a hovel of a toilet AND pay for the priviledge, maybe he might just enjoy his goal and leave out the gesture.

:angry:

I used to do that all the time when I worked on the Customer Service Desk. I also used to go into the car park with my yellow jacket on and put a sticker on the windscreens of cars that were parked in disabled bays without a badge.

You can't do that, you can only put a sticker on a window that will not impare the drivers view.

If you illegally park on a hospital site, you will get a sticker on either rear seat window.

If he had to stand behind chicken wire and run the gauntlet of Stone Island clad Fifers trying to start fights every time he went to a hovel of a toilet AND pay for the priviledge, maybe he might just enjoy his goal and leave out the gesture.

:lol: An Ayr fan complaining about another grounds toilets.

However i dont think in insurance it would count, the same as living in luxury estates mean you will pay less insurance for the same car as living in the middle of the nedest of council estates. Insurance companies charge on how likely it is that you will have an accident, and the stats show that 18 year olds are more likely to have an accident than 30 year olds etc etc.

Say it was the case that the majority of terrorists in the world were Muslim (it probably is the case), does that mean that we treat every Muslim as a potential terrorist? Tar them all with the same brush shall we?

Because this is about money they have a right to do it though, eh? Nope, they shouldn't. Think about ageism in the workplace and all the publicity that has surrounded that in the last few years. Charging higher premiums for younger drivers is discrimination.

When you come into uni ready to get the last wee bit of your coursework done and then you realise you lifted the wrong DVD this morning. :angry:

Anyone fancy running over to my house and bringing it up for me?

You can't do that, you can only put a sticker on a window that will not impare the drivers view.

If you illegally park on a hospital site, you will get a sticker on either rear seat window.

They weren't stickers as such, they were little leaflets that told people not to do it again basically. And I don't see how it can impair someone's view when it's put under the windscreen wiper. I think people are that embarrassed they take them off really quickly anyway.

Uh-huh......not really what I meant but glad to hear it.

I was meaning more average joe in the street. Not Well-educated Uni types.

Just noticed this as well. Nowhere in your initial post did you mention anything about "average joe". Even in that case, I don't think society has much of a problem. Sure, people can be assholes, but has that not always been the case. Personally, I don't really bother about someone at a checkout not giving me their full attention, as long as I get served.

Of course companies charge higher premiums for younger drivers. It's statistically proven they have the most accidents. It's a business, you can't compare it to something like Muslims and Terrorism. If insurance companies didn't charge young people high prices then they would go down the tubes quicker than you can say "quote me happy".

You'll be complaining that companies discriminate against pikies by charging them huge interest rates for loans next.....

Does that prevent it from being discrimination? No. There is high and then there is extortionate. When I first began driving I was quoted, on numerous occasions, over £4000 per year. I eventually settled with Direct line, who were by far the cheapest at £1500, with a minimum excess of £600. Younger drivers will always be more prone to getting involved in accidents, ergo, their prices should be higher. However, they should not be extortionate. The idea of charging £4000, rather obviously, is to prevent young people from driving. If they want to do that, then why not just work from the root of the problem, make the minimum age 19 instead of 17. They are giving younger people the opportunity to drive with one hand, and then revoking it with the other. Either the minimum age should be raised, or the insurance prices should be lowered.

If they want to do that, then why not just work from the root of the problem, make the minimum age 19 instead of 17. They are giving younger people the opportunity to drive with one hand, and then revoking it with the other. Either the minimum age should be raised, or the insurance prices should be lowered.

That wouldnt solve the problem. The reason that young drivers get into the accidents, are not because they are "stupid" when driving or that up until the age of 19 you drive recklessly, it is because they are inexperienced. Until you have had 2-3 years of driving in all conditions, you are not going to be that good a driver. As for being quoted $4000, what kind of car is it, and what kind of coverage? If it was me i would have young drivers are not allowed to drive anything over a small shity car, so that they can get experience of driving, without a high powered engine in the car. That way the insurance will be much less, and because the car only costs about $500-$1000 you can get away with having only 3rd party coverage which will be much cheaper.

That wouldnt solve the problem. The reason that young drivers get into the accidents, are not because they are "stupid" when driving or that up until the age of 19 you drive recklessly, it is because they are inexperienced. Until you have had 2-3 years of driving in all conditions, you are not going to be that good a driver. As for being quoted $4000, what kind of car is it, and what kind of coverage? If it was me i would have young drivers are not allowed to drive anything over a small shity car, so that they can get experience of driving, without a high powered engine in the car. That way the insurance will be much less, and because the car only costs about $500-$1000 you can get away with having only 3rd party coverage which will be much cheaper.

Vauxhall Astra, 1996, N reg, 1.4 litre. It cost £800. Powerful? Don't think so. That was fully comp as a second driver! It wasn't even my own insurance policy.

40 year old driver, just passed HIS test, no experience, quoted £434. Where as a young, 17 year old driver, just passed his test is quoted £1500. Has very little, if anything to do with experience. It's about preventing 17 year old drivers from getting behind the wheel.

Vauxhall Astra, 1996, N reg, 1.4 litre. It cost £800. Powerful? Don't think so. That was fully comp as a second driver! It wasn't even my own insurance policy.

1.4 litre is still more powerful than id allow for young drivers ;) and it was fully comp which adds about 5-600 on to the price i would think. ;)

edited to add:- i also didnt think they took how long you had your licence into account just your age, and assumed you had been driving when you were 17 :unsure: .

Id also like to say that hopefully, since you are 2nd driver you dont own the car. If you do it is illegal, the first named driver HAS to be the main driver of the car/ person with the registration. :o

Edited by bluetooner

Well, sorry for not stating that in my original post. I think most people would realise that people that go to Uni are generally more intelligent and come from a better upbringing than most. But what would I know eh? ;)

The reason why they quote you prices like £4000 is because they simply do not want you on the books. If they point blank said "No, we don't want to insure you because you are young", then there would be hell to pay. This way they can price you out without breaking any laws.

And why are you bleating on about age discrimination then suggesting that the minumum age be changed? :huh:

True :P

Bluetooner: I retract what I previously said. Fully comp is actually £1800, third party is £1600. Makes very little difference.

Edited by Gazzo

What a shite insurance company then :unsure:

Thank you! :lol:

They're the cheapest for young male drivers that I (after extensive, really extensive searching) came accross. Like previously mentioned, the rest were asking as much as (if not over) £4000.

More than you, it would seem ;)

Anyway, shouldn't you be away waving anti-war placards at some policemen or something.

Ah, nothing quite like modesty. With a few more significant years on this earth, you probably do know more than me. Doesn't mean you're always right mind you ;)

Anymore generalisations you want to pass on today? Perhaps all students are tax dodgers?

Edited by Gazzo

Thank you! :lol:

They're the cheapest for young male drivers that I (after extensive, really extensive searching) came accross. Like previously mentioned, the rest were asking as much as (if not over) £4000.

There should be a difference between 3rd party only and fully comp. If the quote was 4000 fully comp and 1500 third party then thats fair enough, it seems like it is a good deal for fully comp at that price ;)

There should be a difference between 3rd party only and fully comp. If the quote was 4000 fully comp and 1500 third party then thats fair enough, it seems like it is a good deal for fully comp at that price ;)

Which it aint! :lol:

In contrast between the two, it's a fair price. In general terms, it's crap, but the cheapest.

Which it aint! :lol:

In contrast between the two, it's a fair price. In general terms, it's crap, but the cheapest.

So just because it is expensive it isnt a good price? going by that logic a BMW is too expensive even if it is priced at $15000 compared to the same car elsewhere that is $40000 :lol:

I never said I was always right. Your constant whining was getting on my tits so I thought I would explain the concept of making money to you :)

And what a shite comeback that was ;)

You're right, you win, you're clearly above me and better than me in every way; and whining in the petty nags thread? No way.

So just because it is expensive it isnt a good price? going by that logic a BMW is too expensive even if it is priced at $15000 compared to the same car elsewhere that is $40000 :lol:

Did I say that? No! It's a good price in comparison with the rest, but NOT in general. Anyone in the market to buy a BMW (someone who holds significant volumes of cash) would of course snap that up. Anyone in the market to acquire insurance at the age of 17 is pretty much priced out of the market! It's is not the fact it's is expensive, it's the fact that it is often TOO expensive for young people to afford! Anyone wanting to buy a BMW will obviously have the cash to buy one, any young person wanting to drive will be priced out the market.

Are you saying that £4000, or £333 a month is a fair, reasonable and attainable price to pay if you're a young driver? If so, we'll never agree.