Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

As I said in my previous post though climate change as a phenomenon isn't anything really to do with racism; it could hardly be argued that over the past couple of centuries when industries in the developed countries were pumping out greenhouse gases they were doing so on the understanding that the worst effects would be felt in countries that were predominantly non-white.  For most of that time they weren't conscious of creating a problem at all let alone where or by whom the worst effects would be felt.  The fact that the most extreme and regular effects of climate change will mostly effect the world's poorest regions has nothing directly to do with race. So why drag arguments about racism into it at all?  Why use the term racism at all?

As you point out in the past pollution of all descriptions mostly affected the poor.  You just have to look at Scottish history to see that.  Again though that's the poor in general, not specifically any one ethnic group so racism is a totally misleading and inadequate term to use.

Yes the world's poorest are being disproportionately affected by climate change, but that should be seen as a side effect of systematic income inequalities and uneven development rather than a race issue.  As I've said before we ought to be concerned about this on the basis those impacted by these changes are human beings who, due to their relative poverty, are much less able to mitigate the problems climate change will bring.  Asking people to act on the basis that this inequality is based on racism is disingenuous and misses the point entirely.  Evidently these activists have some justification in that there is a problem, it's just that they're totally mis-characterising what that problem is and misattributing the blame (or more accurately the causation).  I still also feel that by couching the arguments in these terms it gives the impression that were the impacts to be equal somehow across different races then these activists would not have any issue with them, which is clearly an absurd position to take.  

The real issue I have with this is the conflation of almost every issue that we have in contemporary global society with racism by some activists and the counterproductive impact that message might have in society.  Yes there is racism out there but a hurricane really isn't it.  If you do drag race into everything then there is a real danger that genuine issues around race will be subsumed by this background noise of folk looking for evidence of prejudice where it doesn't really exist.

Basically aye there is a problem but it's a more general issue about relative inequality between the developed and undeveloped world and calling it 'racism' is the wrong way to go about motivating people to do something to fix it.  However it is formulated 'Environmental Racism' is an unhelpful term, in my opinion.

It is conflating different issues for sure.

But... and again I'm being glib, it is still Mainly White People being asked to consider using slightly less profitable, but massively less polluting, forms of industry, because the effects are mainly felt by Mainly Brown People.

That's why the racism card is being played, even if it should perhaps more properly be referred to as Climate Change of Socio-economic Inequality.

I think racism maybe trips off the tongue a bit easier, and also carries a little more weight when it comes to the general populace absorbing news via soundbites and headlines.

I really didn't want to end up defending these goons though. I find their tactics pretty immature and self-defeating.

21 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

If you see the indicator, you can move to the left hand lane.

How can you move to the left lane if there is a moving line of traffic and you are sat still behind the bellend who's decided to put his indicator on at the last minute? The point is if the driver turning right had put his indicator on in plenty of time you would have already have been in that moving line of traffic. 

The pre match handshake routine. It was annoying enough when it was a handshake but now it's developed into some sort of hand slap. And don't get me started about when the mascots join in.

1 hour ago, NewBornBairn said:

f**k

It's not all bad. And you get a free coffee and biscuit. I went all the way to Elgin and back for £1 the other week. So excited I nearly got off at Forres.

club50-20percent-358x320-nh.jpg?itok=XCO

Just heading home after morning walk with the dog. Sitting on top of litter bin an untouched Wait rose Lasagne Al Forno.  In date too. 

20161008_103257.jpg

Not sure to laugh at the ostentatious West End lifestyle or tut loudly at the waste?

p.s. I left it by the way.

4 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

Just heading home after morning walk with the dog. Sitting on top of litter bin an untouched Wait rose Lasagne Al Forno.  In date too. 

20161008_103257.jpg

Not sure to laugh at the ostentatious West End lifestyle or tut loudly at the waste?

p.s. I left it by the way.

Probably KB clearing his fridge before he flies out to Oz.

Probably KB clearing his fridge before he flies out to Oz.

Was supposed to be here on Friday. Daft twat obviously doesn't realise how long the journey is. I've a spider here waiting to say g'day.

14 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Folk at bus stops who stand in front of the timetables, meaning you can't read the fuckers, or at least have to awkwardly peer/around over folk to see them.

Or you could ask them politely if you could have a look at the timetable.