Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Has anyone in years gone by 'blacked up'? Obvs in this day and age hopefully not but it seemed more than acceptable back in the early 80's.

I remember a guy turning up for a Halloween dance at the school blacked up and in full Reggae gear, this would have been about 7 years ago.

1 hour ago, dayman said:

If they indicated before the lights changed would that make them not have to turn right and still hold everyone up?

If there are 2 lanes for going ahead, and no cars in the right lane have their indicators on, you might join that lane expecting to go straight ahead.  If they then signal right after you're queuing in that lane, you have to wait.  Whereas if they were always signalling right, you would join the left lane, even if it's a longer queue, knowing that nothing is going to impede your forward progress.

4 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

If there are 2 lanes for going ahead, and no cars in the right lane have their indicators on, you might join that lane expecting to go straight ahead.  If they then signal right after you're queuing in that lane, you have to wait.  Whereas if they were always signalling right, you would join the left lane, even if it's a longer queue, knowing that nothing is going to impede your forward progress.

Correct!

People who signal right just as the lights change are the dregs

Has anyone in years gone by 'blacked up'? Obvs in this day and age hopefully not but it seemed more than acceptable back in the early 80's.

As I child, one Halloween my mother made me a "ghost outfit". Looking back at pictures, my hat was quite pointy and I ended up resembling a member of the Klu Klux Klan.

Suppose it's the opposite of "blacking up" and a tale to ward off, making your own.

At the time I thought I was looking good. Looking back however, I wonder how I got away with it. All I needed was burning cross and I had the full set. I did have a scythe made of tinfoil.

Halloween is like Harry Potter, made for kids, and hijacked by adults. No time for it.

As I child, one Halloween my mother made me a "ghost outfit". Looking back at pictures, my hat was quite pointy and I ended up resembling a member of the Klu Klux Klan.

Suppose it's the opposite of "blacking up" and a tale to ward off, making your own.

At the time I thought I was looking good. Looking back however, I wonder how I got away with it. All I needed was burning cross and I had the full set. I did have a scythe made of tinfoil.

Halloween is like Harry Potter, made for kids, and hijacked by adults. No time for it.

This is what I was meaning aye..I remember a party in the early 80's where my uncle came as Bob Marley, fully facepainted etc...my little brother shat himself at the same do....happy days!

39 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

Sorry to be a pedant but it's Ku Klux Klan. Neil "i'm a wee dick" Oliver done an enlightening documentary just last night on BBC2. Highly entertaining and shows the Scots settlers in America were mostly Rangers fans.

I remember when I was at a Halloween dance at primary school there was a best costume award. It was given to a boy dressed as Ghostface (see spoiler for those who don't know who that is). No word of a lie, there were roughly 10 other people wearing that costume. It was like that South Park episode.

ImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1475717346.241688.jpg

ImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1475717378.649759.jpg

Spoiler tag not working.

I remember when I was at a Halloween dance at primary school there was a best costume award. It was given to a boy dressed as Ghostface (see spoiler for those who don't know who that is). No word of a lie, there were roughly 10 other people wearing that costume. It was like that South Park episode.

ImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1475717346.241688.jpg

ImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1475717378.649759.jpg

Spoiler tag not working.

That south Park episode when I read about the KKK ghost

12th day running I've been up at this time due to a ridiculous cough that's accompanied what is easily the worst cold I've ever had. The cold has more or less pissed off, but when is it acceptable to see the GP about the cough? Checked online and it generally varies between 1-3 weeks.

The online Guardian site is irritating me a bit. They will tweet a story that sounds interesting, I'll click on it, and it will turn out to be about Australia.

This seems to be happening increasingly frequently and I can't figure out why a British newspaper has so many articles on niche Australian stories.

39 minutes ago, jmothecat said:

The online Guardian site is irritating me a bit. They will tweet a story that sounds interesting, I'll click on it, and it will turn out to be about Australia.

This seems to be happening increasingly frequently and I can't figure out why a British newspaper has so many articles on niche Australian stories.

They do an Australian edition as well and tweet those stories. Overnight (your time) there's not much happening in the UK so their twitter stream is full of stuff written by their staff who are awake and at work. 

2 hours ago, BuddieInDundee said:

12th day running I've been up at this time due to a ridiculous cough that's accompanied what is easily the worst cold I've ever had. The cold has more or less pissed off, but when is it acceptable to see the GP about the cough? Checked online and it generally varies between 1-3 weeks.

Phone up now, it'll take at least that long to get an appointment.