Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Shop assistants who know less about "customer service" than Fred West knew about childcare

e.g. You are waiting to be served and they continue their conversation with their gum chewing colleague, whilst looking straight at you with a "couldn't give a Fcuk" expression on their gormless face.

:angry::angry::angry:

That is INFURIATING and sadly very common. It's as if your disturbing their day by actually asking them to do the job they are paid for.

I had an incident once where I was in an early learning centre with my two kids who were at the time just toddlers and being as difficult as ever (as per standard toddlers!)

I get to the checkout and nedette is on the phone chatting to her friend while I stand there trying to control the kids who are desperate to get their new toys. Eventually I leaned over the counter and pressed the button on the phone that hung up her call. The look on her face was priceless. She started to kick off about it but got a right mouthful for her trouble. There was by now a queue behind me and the place was in silence with one very sheepish looking schemie girl behind the checkout. Stupid Cow.

Deep joy. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol: Brilliant!

My attempt at getting my own back was in a Supermarket (Co-op to name and shame)

when I was getting the cold shoulder from two checkout girls who were gabbing to each other was to take all my goods out of my trolley, line then up on the conveyor belt, announce I would be back when they were less busy and I walked out.

Had to go elsewhere (Safeway) for my shopping but I felt soooooooooo much better!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Good one!

I join in their conversation. It is always met with a 'what's it got to do with you' look and it is at that stage that I gently point out that if they do not want me to comment, then don't talk about it infront of me. :P

I always like to end with a 'I'm sure you are both normally very attentive to your customers, I'm sorry to see you are having an off day'. I love the confused looks I get from them <_<

That is INFURIATING and sadly very common. It's as if your disturbing their day by actually asking them to do the job they are paid for.

But you are! :lol:

I hate sitting on checkouts and absolutely detest when I see a customer coming my way. However, I generally tend to rise above it and be polite however fake and forced it might be from my point of view. It's better to have a happy customer leave than some w'nk who will report you at the customer service desk. :ph34r:

I take on board the point that checkout operators are paid to... well... check out but it infuriates me when people point blank refuse to use self service, even if I'm going to practically do it for them. I mean, it's so uptight it's not even real. Self Service is becoming a very common thing nowadays, you can even announce your own arrival for your doctors appointments. Whenever I see self service machines, I use them. People who just blatantly refuse to even try f'ck me off. <_<

The other day I pulled a lady through the tills, and her husband threw down the shopping and said "you're doing that on your own, I'm having nothing to do with it" and walked out of the store. How absolutely pathetic is that! :lol:

Obviously for some people - I would imagine you yourself fall into this bracket GC, with children and presumably large weekly shops - self service isn't practical but then we'd never invite someone from a main bank checkout with a huge shopping trolley full of items to come and try it out. We tend to just poach the basket carriers waiting behind 14 people in a queue for a 10 item till. Lazy bams.

Oh, and another thing. The fannies who plonk their shopping down and say "put that through for us love". Eh no, this is self service! :lol:

Edited by SaintSam

Self Service is shite.

I scan booze - need to wait for someone to check I have pubes.

I scan reduced items - doesn't recognise it 'cause some other fucker hasn't done their job properly!

Takes ages for the items to get off the fucking scales/conveyor before you can put the next one on!

Items with security tags - need to get a memeber of staff again and they're too busy talking shite to their colleagues.

Card wont scan! Why the f**k not it just scanned alright in your petrol station forecourt?!

They're bollocks unless you only have two items.

Fucking staff should be sat quietly with their hair up in a bun and hairnet!!! Even the guys!

Edited by SPLwankwankwank

Self Service is shite.

I scan booze - need to wait for someone to check I have pubes.

I scan reduced items - doesn't recognise it 'cause some other fucker hasn't done their job properly!

Takes ages for the items to get off the fucking scales/conveyor before you can put the next one on!

Items with security tags - need to get a memeber of staff again and they're too busy talking shite to their colleagues.

Card wont scan! Why the f**k not it just scanned alright in your petrol station forecourt?!

They're bollocks unless you only have two items.

Fucking staff should be sat quietly with their hair up in a bun and hairnet!!! Even the guys!

The main problems with self scan lie in human error, I'm afraid. Nine times out of ten, anything that slows the machines down is caused by customers inability to use the machines. Everything is controlled by one assistance station whereby I can watch everything you are doing on a screen and can control almost every fault you cause from it. Alcohol checks take seconds if you're old enough, all I do is what a checkout operator would do and approve your age.

As for reduced items not scanning or items not on file, you would have the same delay if you went through a regular checkout, waiting for a supervisor to come down or someone to go and get a price so don't give me your bollocks about self service you lazy imbecile! :P

General things that idiot customers do wrong:

Swipe card the wrong way, your card reader strip must be facing up towards you and in towards the machine. The number of people who don't even get the strip into the machine is incredible. Some people even hold their card over the option for "Debit/Credit" - I mean, how stupid is that when it's telling you to "swipe your card on the side of this monitor" :lol:

Not scanning items and the scales beneath the bags and belts telling you so, sending the item back to the top and asking you to rescan it. It usually says "unexpected item on the belt" which means you haven't scanned it, so scan it again you idiot. Other times people don't place items on the belt/in the bagging area and the machine won't let you progress until you do and gives you timely reminders to do so. "Please place the item on the belt" - the number of people who just can not understand simple orders is astounding! :lol:

"Notes are dispensed BELOW the scanner" yes - underneath where you scanned all of your items, not where you put your notes in, BELOW the scanner. You should see the amount of money folk just walk away and leave. Imean, why do that? Why not ask where it is if you're too stupid to understand what it's saying? :lol:

Occasionally there are technical faults with the machines but generally, 90% of the time it's people thinking they are too smart for these dumbass machines and just ending up getting stressed and looking foolish because they're failing to follow very simple instructions that are written on screen AND spoken to you. :lol:

Ah, I feel better now. :D

Thieves 'cash in at Tesco tills'

Tesco says fraud levels are low

Tesco self-service tills suffer from an apparent "security loophole" making it easy for fraudsters to steal cash, consumer group Which? has said.

Tesco operates the check-outs at 320 stores, allowing shoppers to scan goods and pay with a debit or credit card.

But the tills do not take chip-and-pin card technology and Which? says this allows thieves to use stolen cards.

In response, Tesco said fraud levels at the tills were low and chip-and-pin technology would be in place soon.

Which? said it was prompted to issue the warning after several consumers contacted it after having fallen victim to fraud.

The editor of Which?, Neil Fowler, accused Tesco of being "highly irresponsible" for not having adapted the tills to chip-and-pin technology.

"It is hard to believe that the UK's biggest supermarket is making it so easy for criminals to use stolen credit cards in their stores," Mr Fowler said.

"We can only hope they close this obvious loophole and introduce standard security procedures in the very near future."

Tesco denied that it had a significant fraud problem at its self-service tills.

"While it is impossible to stamp out all credit card fraud, fraud levels at our self-service checkouts and petrol pumps are very low and no higher than at our main checkouts, which have full chip-and-pin," a Tesco spokesman told BBC News.

The supermarket said it had already started to introduce chip-and-pin at its self-service tills.

"When we originally introduced the self-service tills over two years ago, chip-and-pin was not a proven technology.

"Now that it has become widely accepted we will be rolling it out into all our 320 current installations - this process has already begun and should be completed by December."

Strange that these tills don't have Chip and Pin, I thought that everywhere was to be chipped and pinned by February?

Apologies Saint - in simple terms - "How do you pull a lady through the tills"? :huh:

:lol:

You don't! :)

Strange that these tills don't have Chip and Pin, I thought that everywhere was to be chipped and pinned by February?

Do you type a pin number in or scroll a signature when you buy online or over the phone? As far as I'm aware, you don't. It's the same thing, so few people realise that though. It's open to the same level of security breaches. Simple thing is really, Tesco would not be allowed to operate these tills in over 200 of it's stores if it was so easy just to go in and use someone elses card. Management told me that consultation with various banks and credit card companies before the self service technology came into effect two years ago concluded that the level of security measures we do emply are "adequate".

Every time a card is swiped in Tesco, it automatically connects to the cards distributors database to check the funds and records of the card. So if you lose your bank card on the way to the football today, someone picks it up and uses it tomorrow for £17.85 through Tesco Self Service but you've already cancelled it, it will be rejected, as is the case with every other till that has chip and pin throughout the store. Someone could have your pin but if the card has been cancelled, it's no longer valid to use. There are two further security measures in use at the SS tills, you can spend no more than £50 before you have to sign for your purchases, and you can only use the same card three times in one day through the tills.

There you go: That's the brief management gave me to give to customers whenever they - all the feckin time - question the lack of chip and pin. In any case, chip and pin is already coming into use in some stores SS systems, Perth Extra will receive theirs at the end of November.

Edited to add further: I've worked in Tesco for a little over two years and I've seen one instance of fraud through self service tills, compared to several incidents through main bank checkouts during both the signature and chip and pin days. Most cases of people using other peoples cards for large quantities of shopping are husbands and wives using their partners cards. At normal tills, there's no way of stopping this unless you have checkout operators being particularly alert - which is rare. They know their partners pins and they enter the pins, and that's deemed security done! At our tills, if it comes to over £50 - which it does so often in these situations - you have to ask for a signature, and then you inform them that it's illegal for them to be using someones card, whoevers card it may be, and that you will not put through that transaction on that card.

Chip and Pin will give customers peace of mind but I think it's being blown out of proportion. As I say, I've seen so many incidents through main bank checkouts compared to just one genuine fraud case through self service.

Edited by SaintSam

The main problems with self scan lie in human error, I'm afraid. Nine times out of ten, anything that slows the machines down is caused by customers inability to use the machines. Everything is controlled by one assistance station whereby I can watch everything you are doing on a screen and can control almost every fault you cause from it. Alcohol checks take seconds if you're old enough, all I do is what a checkout operator would do and approve your age.

As for reduced items not scanning or items not on file, you would have the same delay if you went through a regular checkout, waiting for a supervisor to come down or someone to go and get a price so don't give me your bollocks about self service you lazy imbecile! :P

General things that idiot customers do wrong:

Swipe card the wrong way, your card reader strip must be facing up towards you and in towards the machine. The number of people who don't even get the strip into the machine is incredible. Some people even hold their card over the option for "Debit/Credit" - I mean, how stupid is that when it's telling you to "swipe your card on the side of this monitor" :lol:

Not scanning items and the scales beneath the bags and belts telling you so, sending the item back to the top and asking you to rescan it. It usually says "unexpected item on the belt" which means you haven't scanned it, so scan it again you idiot. Other times people don't place items on the belt/in the bagging area and the machine won't let you progress until you do and gives you timely reminders to do so. "Please place the item on the belt" - the number of people who just can not understand simple orders is astounding! :lol:

"Notes are dispensed BELOW the scanner" yes - underneath where you scanned all of your items, not where you put your notes in, BELOW the scanner. You should see the amount of money folk just walk away and leave. Imean, why do that? Why not ask where it is if you're too stupid to understand what it's saying? :lol:

Occasionally there are technical faults with the machines but generally, 90% of the time it's people thinking they are too smart for these dumbass machines and just ending up getting stressed and looking foolish because they're failing to follow very simple instructions that are written on screen AND spoken to you. :lol:

Ah, I feel better now. :D

None of this excuses staff chatting away or worse than that wearing their hair down. When I go to the supermarket I expect high standards and staff who look professional and well kempt hair. Ladies should have it slicked back nice and tight, up in a bun with loads of kirby grips and a net, nice brown one at that, over it.

This goes for all staff at all departments. I shall demand it from all managers at all supermarkets, especially those in the Perth area :P

Actually another thing. Bloody petrol station attendants! How fucking hard can it be to hear your console bleeping to let you know someone has removed the nozzle, check they're not going to douse themselves in petrol, then press 'confirm' or whatever they press to start the pump. Yet the glaikit fuckers stand there staring into space no doubt thinking what shoes they're going to buy at the weekend or whatever and do not press the bloody button while you stand in the freezing cold.

Oh and those 'Pay At Pump' card readers are shite as well.

None of this excuses staff chatting away or worse than that wearing their hair down. When I go to the supermarket I expect high standards and staff who look professional and well kempt hair. Ladies should have it slicked back nice and tight, up in a bun with loads of kirby grips and a net, nice brown one at that, over it.

This goes for all staff at all departments. I shall demand it from all managers at all supermarkets, especially those in the Perth area :P

:lol::lol::lol:

Feck off! :P

Actually another thing. Bloody petrol station attendants! How fucking hard can it be to hear your console bleeping to let you know someone has removed the nozzle, check they're not going to douse themselves in petrol, then press 'confirm' or whatever they press to start the pump. Yet the glaikit fuckers stand there staring into space no doubt thinking what shoes they're going to buy at the weekend or whatever and do not press the bloody button while you stand in the freezing cold.

Oh and those 'Pay At Pump' card readers are shite as well.

Yeah, the petrol station people suffer from being so detached from the rest of us.

Feck off! :P

Yeah, the petrol station people suffer from being so detached from the rest of us.

Aye the planet! And people who are too lazy to sort baskets out!!! Someone puts their basket on the pile and the handle falls over thus preventing the next person from putting their basket on top. They're then too lazy to simply lift the handle out the way and place theirs in so they just toss it on the bloody floor for everyone to kick around. b*****ds!

The referees having to yellow card players (Shevchenko and Ballack in question) for celebrating a goal on a UEFA 'technicality'. <_<

Completely agree.Fecking ludicrous rule.I could see their point if a player was antagonising opposition supporters,but to book a player for celebrating with his own fans? It's fecking ridiculous <_<

Fucking ignorant short arsed women that walk about town in the pouring rain with an umbrella. The ignorant fucks have no idea of where the umbrella is going and they never consider that their dumb fucking actions can leave you blind!