Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Only gonna get worse with the increasing changes forced by the animal rights tossers making it more dangerous for the horses :angry:

Have you ever tried jumping a 5ft fence over a 5ft ditch with a midget on your back*? Dangerous as f*ck regardless.

*When falling make sure you use the midget as a crash pad.

I was under the impression that it's crueller to let a horse live after a broken leg than to kill them... If you're going to hate horse racing (which is fair enough, btw), pick a proper reason to hate it.

But it is, We should kill the jockeys once they break there legs, c***s. The more idiots who bet on the worse it gets, no need to use whips

Ricky Gervais could make a programme about it.

Anyway, it was shite. I preferred it when sweaty horses staggered over the line. They all looked like they could go round again

But it is, We should kill the jockeys once they break there legs, c***s. The more idiots who bet on the worse it gets, no need to use whips

Ah, so you like to see horses in absolute agony? If a horse breaks its leg, on the racecourse or in the wild, it dies. Its a design fault in horses, and it is extremely difficult to fix a horse's broken leg. Really, the cruel thing would be to make it suffer for the rest of its life.

I work with animals and trust me the best thing to do is put it out is misery if it is injured/ in poor health.

Have you ever tried jumping a 5ft fence over a 5ft ditch with a midget on your back*? Dangerous as f*ck regardless.

*When falling make sure you use the midget as a crash pad.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ exactly the attitude that has cost more horses their lives in the last 10 years than in previous decades.

Cluess re National Hunt .

The race lasted for less than 20 minutes. For the other 23 hours of the day, horses are treated with the greatest care available.

http://animals.howst...n-leg-horse.htm

Not entirely true, science says anyway. Proper reason you say? Aslong as your fine we animals getting whipped for someone to win money all the better for you my lady

horses are commonly euthanized after breaking their legs because they have a small chance of successful recovery.
t's difficult for a horse's leg to heal due to a combination of factors. Their legs must absorb considerable shock as their powerful bo­dies gallop at high speeds. Horses engage in a lot of physical activity, and the consequences of this behavior can eventually lead to deteriorated leg bones and increased opportunities to fall. Another thing to consider is how many leg bones horses have. Out of the 205 bones that make up a horse's entire body, 80 of them are located in its legs. The com­plex system of joints, bones, ligaments, tendons, cartilage, lubricant, laminate and hooves that contribute to a horse's amazing speed can also be the cause of its downfall. What's more, between 60 to 65 percent of a horse's weight rests on its front legs -- that's why most of its injuries occur here.
Many problems can affect horses' legs, like inflammation, osteoarthritis, joint issues and diseases and of course, broken bones. Recovery is further complicated because horses can't lie down the entire time they recuperate. Horses are programmed to stand a good portion of the time -- including while they sleep. As a prey species, they must be ready to flee as fast as possible, which is why horses stay on their toes (or hooves to be more accurate).
You might be asking, "Even though it's difficult for a horse's broken leg to heal, why not let nature run its course and decide whether the horse will live or die?" Part of the answer is that several painful conditions can develop during the rehabilitation process. Some people consider euthanizing the animal more humane than letting it live and suffer.

You usually can't save the horse's life just by amputating the broken leg. Horses aren't like dogs, which can usually live a fairly active lifestyle on three legs. Horses are heavier and this weight can cause problems for the other hooves.

Do I have to keep quoting from your own article?

Just the 3 horses that could possibly die so not to bad? But hey its only animals right?

A footballer died on the pitch today...there have been a few of them in recent years. Should we outlaw all football, as its obviously a cruel sport?

Just the 3 horses that could possibly die so not to bad? But hey its only animals right?

Right you bru swilling cretin, see if you can follow this.

Pressure from asshol....eh people concerned with animal rights, have resulted in far smaller fences/ditches etc. This has resulted in MORE deaths.

Why? Without the greater challenge that bigger obstacle bring, more horses are racing that would never have got near a racecource a couple of decades ago. They can go a lot faster with smaller obstacles, and speed is now a greater premium over abilty. Faster they go,more damage when they fall.

A footballer died on the pitch today...there have been a few of them in recent years. Should we outlaw all football, as its obviously a cruel sport?

Was he shot? He'd be distracted you see. That's when you're at your most vulnerable.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ exactly the attitude that has cost more horses their lives in the last 10 years than in previous decades.

Cluess re National Hunt .

So because I decide to make a joke, I'm clueless, and my attitude is to blame for the deaths of horses?

I told a joke about a magic tractor the other day - presumably I'm to blame for the dearth of magic tractors?

Maybe you'd be better off contacting the Jockey Club with your concerns, rather than raising them on a predominantly football forum?

We arent forcing them to play are we? We are not whipping them are we? Plus its a broken leg, entirely different to a heart attack. The broken leg would not happen if the horse is not forced to jump over something

The horse would not exist if it was not "forced" to jump over something. They have probably the best care and treatment of any animals in the world, and a great life, in exchange for doing what they do best a few minutes every few days. Plus there are numerous examples of horses that are found to not enjoy racing, and these horses are basically placed quietly out to retirement. Also, as the article you quoted pointed out, a broken leg is much more serious for horses than humans. Terminal in the majority of cases, and certainly terminal without human aid.