Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

He posted in the careful with money thread the other day

Strange, it doesn't show up under his member title in his content.

The 21st century?

Exactly.

No gas connection? Is it located in the 14th Century? Do they cook with the tiny useless hotplate cookers you get in cheap holiday apartments?

No, they use very modern, highly energy efficient electric hobs which form part of a very nice modern set of kitchen units installed when the house, situated in one of the more expensive areas in Aberdeen, was built in the early 90s. For a cooker they use a fan assisted oven and grill which uses an electric element.

I'll grant you that the hob and cooker in my flat is, to put it kindly, getting on a bit, but it does the job it's meant to and admirably.

I have never seen a gas oven in my life. Even places I've been with a gas hob have electric ovens. Perhaps you're the one that needs to come out of the 1970s...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks it's not remotely Luddite not to have gas. I'm struggling to remember whether my parent's last home had a gas hob either, but the cooker was definitely electric (the central heating was gas). When we lived in Kirkcaldy it could have been gas but I'm too young to remember.

Anyone who has ever cooked on a gas and an electric cooker would tell you that gas is far superior. Electric cookers are shit.

Electric cookers are fine as long as they're fan-assisted.

Electric cookers are fine as long as they're fan-assisted.

They're not. For example, if I'm cooking something and I want to turn the temperature down, I want the temperature down. I don't want to have to wait 15 minutes for a boil to become a simmer.

They're not. For example, if I'm cooking something and I want to turn the temperature down, I want the temperature down. I don't want to have to wait 15 minutes for a boil to become a simmer.

Fan assisted ovens DO turn the heat down quickly. That's the whole point of the... fan!

Fan assisted electric ovens with gas hobs are the way forward

Fan assisted ovens DO turn the heat down quickly. That's the whole point of the... fan!

Erm, as far as I was aware, the fan helps the heat circulate more evenly so that you could set your oven on a lower temperature or cook your food quicker.

Either way, I'd never go back to an electric cooker. Rubbish.

Care to explain why gas cookers typically do have fans, then? I suppose they're just for ornamentation?

They do? I've owned several cookers and only two have had fans. Does that count as "typical"?

Even more pertinent, why the hell are we all having a discussion about cookers? Jesus, is the telly that shit?

Care to explain why gas cookers typically do have fans, then? I suppose they're just for ornamentation?

My cooker doesn't have a fan because it's not shit.

It's therefore safe to conclude that manual workers are useless and lazy while people from Fife and the North East are technologically backward. I think we've changed a lot of perceptions today, good work.

They do? I've owned several cookers and only two have had fans. Does that count as "typical"?

Even more pertinent, why the hell are we all having a discussion about cookers? Jesus, is the telly that shit?

Perhaps if VT had the Lord in him, cookers would be irrelevant, some loaves and fishes would see him through.