Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

My left knee is killing me. I don't remember getting a knock at football but at the end my knee was starting to swell up and when I went to bed last night I couldn't flex my knee at all and I was almost in tears with the pain. Put ice on it and ran it under cold water to try and suppress the swelling but this morning I couldn't walk to work and ended up getting the bus after taking 10 minutes to walk 100 yards. Essentially it now feels like if I was to try and bend my knee all the way back, as if I was stretching my quads, my left knee would burst open. Feels like there is fluid build up there as well.

Don't suppose anyone knows what might be causing this?

Guest The Phoenix

My left knee is killing me. I don't remember getting a knock at football but at the end my knee was starting to swell up and when I went to bed last night I couldn't flex my knee at all and I was almost in tears with the pain. Put ice on it and ran it under cold water to try and suppress the swelling but this morning I couldn't walk to work and ended up getting the bus after taking 10 minutes to walk 100 yards. Essentially it now feels like if I was to try and bend my knee all the way back, as if I was stretching my quads, my left knee would burst open. Feels like there is fluid build up there as well.

Sounds a bit like ligament damage.

Best case scenario, it's just a wee stretch and you'll be fine in a couple of days.

Worst case scenario, you'll be able to advertise all your left shoes on e-bay, which does I suppose still have a positive side.

Ligaments. Go and see about them if you are having as much bother as this. As Phoenix says, it might just be a strain if you are lucky but you might have done yourself a lot of damage without knowing it too. Best get it looked at. Sometimes these injuries aren't apparent at the time, it's only after you "cool down" after sport that you realise somethings wrong. The swelling is just your body trying to protect things which will be making everything feel tight. Bandage and rest will be the order of the day no doubt. You did the right thing in icing it

Get to the Doc's asap. If you dont get it seen to shortly you could be doing it even more damage.

Hope it is not to badly damaged

Cheers guys, I have a doctors appointment tomorrow thankfully so I'll get it checked out then. I wondered if it was one from ligaments, tendons or cartilage. As I say the weird thing is it just seemed to "come on". I don't remember over stretching, being clattered on the knee or any kind of stress or contact to result in this injury. I've got plenty of painkillers, a tube support and some deep freeze which I am finding quite nice as it seems to be quite soothing for the pain. Doesn't get rid of it but it numbs it for a wee while.

I had a ligament issue in my right knee and after months of physio I built the strength back up. I will be absolutely devastated if something similar has happened to my left knee :(

To me it sounds like cellulitus.

I had this a while back and your symptoms sound exactly the same.

Its basically an infection and build up of fluid and hurts like a bitch.

I ended up in hospital for 24 hours and had to get strong anti-biotic injections which cleared it upo in a few days

Get yourself of to the doc as soon as you can

Edit to add.RiG, just read your other post about seeing a doctor tomorrow.

TBH ,I know it sounds a bit wimpish,but If pain that bad I'd get myself down to local hospital as I had to do and they admitted me straight away.

Like you ,I didnt knock my knee in any way and the pain and swelling appeared quite quickly with a build up of fluid and a hot burning sensation in my knee.

Let us know how you get on

Edited by Unleash The Nade

Part of my job involves taking payments for people for their Council Tax, Rents and Rates. The amount of people who don't know the difference between "four weeks" and "calendar month" is staggering in this country.

Doctor seemed to think, based on my (in)ability to move my knee / leg to certain extents, that it could be an issue with the tendons. Pain seemed to most concentrated on the area around the fibula. Plenty of ice, painkillers and rest seem to be the prescription. She also recommended a good sports physiotherapist to go and see if I wanted to try and get back into football, squash, gym etc. quicker.

We'll see how things go. Feels a bit better today anyway but obviously still not great.

Part of my job involves taking payments for people for their Council Tax, Rents and Rates. The amount of people who don't know the difference between "four weeks" and "calendar month" is staggering in this country.

Yes and I find it equally frustrating that I am paid every 4 weeks by my employer, who happen to be the Council, and the bank only being able to set up direct debits on a monthly basis. I'd quite like for everything to be taken out on payday.