Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Burnham, the thinking man's Weston-super-Mare. What a place.

It speaks wonders for it when the most exciting time of the week for me was having the shits. A nice place, but utterly soul destroying if you are there for longer than a day.

It speaks wonders for it when the most exciting time of the week for me was having the shits. A nice place, but utterly soul destroying if you are there for longer than a day.

Yeah, much like all the coastal towns along the Severn. If you want your soul not just to be destroyed but raped and tortured beforehand, go to Minehead. It's like a giant Codonas but with more little wankers and less, well, fun.

Clevedon is quite nice, but is full of old folks. Same with Portishead, although that's getting a bit of a rep. as a bit crappy now.

Weston however is the prizewinner in the shithole of all shitholes category. My sisters all live in Locking Castle on the outskirts of Weston. I don't mind going to visit them obviously, but I hate it when the kids want to go down to the boulevard to the amusements etc. I do actually feel a bit unsafe at times, especially the roads just off the seafront.

Edited by Breaking Decency

There's a golf course, ducks to feed and a rowing lake.

That all sounds fun and games for a gentleman of your fine standard, but see below.

I'm glad the wee nyaff's back at school :D

I wouldn't say it's the 'in-thing', I just don't think you have a choice if you want your hole. :lol:

It's not that kind of holiday. We wanted somewhere in between Amsterdam and Tenerife (not geographically, culturally), so someone suggested Germany. A sort of 'stag do' type holiday.

But apparently we can get a nice caravan for free. I'm still firmly perched on the fence.

Edited by The Blair-Skint Student

Blair, go to Hamburg instead. Convince them. It's a great city, lots to do, good nightlife.

My mate went to Lubeck (sp?), and said it was better than any 'sunshine' holiday he had been on. Apparently the females were sensational.

Europe is the place to be, I keep telling them.

My mate went to Lubeck (sp?), and said it was better than any 'sunshine' holiday he had been on. Apparently the females were sensational.

Europe is the place to be, I keep telling them.

Really? Any reason he went there? Not the most typical holiday destination, unless you're into something specific.

Yeah, much like all the coastal towns along the Severn. If you want your soul not just to be destroyed but raped and tortured beforehand, go to Minehead. It's like a giant Codonas but with more little wankers and less, well, fun.

Clevedon is quite nice, but is full of old folks. Same with Portishead, although that's getting a bit of a rep. as a bit crappy now.

Weston however is the prizewinner in the shithole of all shitholes category. My sisters all live in Locking Castle on the outskirts of Weston. I don't mind going to visit them obviously, but I hate it when the kids want to go down to the boulevard to the amusements etc. I do actually feel a bit unsafe at times, especially the roads just off the seafront.

:lol:

We caught the train from Weston to head up to Bristol when we went to Burnham. To say I felt scared on the bus going from Burnham to Weston would be an understatement. Far too narrow for my liking. The Bus driver was trying to make up for some lost time as well when 40 tourists got on about 10 miles outside Weston with no change between them. I was thankful to be feeling better before doing that trip, otherwise I might have had to blame the smell on the boy. :lol:

We are looking to go down in a few weeks and LM's youngest is always wanting to go to Weston when we go down so perhaps we could go and spend the day there this time. I've heard it's advisable to get out before the daylight goes...

Guest The Phoenix
That all sounds fun and games for a gentleman of your fine standard, but see below.

I was being facetious.

Haggerston Castle has a sign at the entrance - "Arbeit Macht Frei".

The stale stench of sweaty bodies and rotting flesh that invades every indoor public area (bars, amusements etc) is nauseating in the extreme.

Do not go there.

Really? Any reason he went there? Not the most typical holiday destination, unless you're into something specific.

His uncle was stationed near there and recommended it to them. Two adults and three kids, seemed a bit weird to me too because I wouldn't have tagged it a 'family' destination.

But he says the girls there were downing litres of Pilsner so what's the trouble? :lol:

I was being facetious.

Haggerston Castle has a sign at the entrance - "Arbeit Macht Frei".

The stale stench of sweaty bodies and rotting flesh that invades every indoor public area (bars, amusements etc) is nauseating in the extreme.

Do not go there.

I can see the legacy of your last visit still lingers in the air then. Literally.

:P

We caught the train from Weston to head up to Bristol when we went to Burnham. To say I felt scared on the bus going from Burnham to Weston would be an understatement. Far too narrow for my liking. The Bus driver was trying to make up for some lost time as well when 40 tourists got on about 10 miles outside Weston with no change between them. I was thankful to be feeling better before doing that trip, otherwise I might have had to blame the smell on the boy. :lol:

We are looking to go down in a few weeks and LM's youngest is always wanting to go to Weston when we go down so perhaps we could go and spend the day there this time. I've heard it's advisable to get out before the daylight goes...

Haha yeah, it gets a bit unsavoury when the pubs open on the seafront. It's great for kids though, plenty to do. Miniature railway, plenty of arcades, minigolf, trampolines, adventure playgrounds, a couple of museums, sealife centre etc...can't forget the donkey rides either!

There are a few good restaurants actually, and some of the nicer pubs are quite cheap (well, compared to Bristol). There's a great seafood restaurant I'll try and remember the name of.

Guest The Phoenix

I can see the legacy of your last visit still lingers in the air then. Literally.

:P

That's the thanks I get for offering you some sound advice? :unsure::(

Enjoy yourself, you'll fit in well with the tinks.

That's the thanks I get for offering you some sound advice? :unsure::(

Enjoy yourself, you'll fit in well with the tinks.

Awww, TP, I was only being facetious. :P

I'm sure it's not as bad as you point it out to be. Can't be worse than Butlins or Haven or Chris Tarry or whatever it's called nowadays.

Guest The Phoenix
surfing about for car insurance prices. Now that i've got a year no claims, it's best prices have halved, but the excess of them are £750! This could be a long hunt. <_<

It's a balancing act and at the end of the day a risk taking a high excess.

My son is 21 and with Direct Line - his premium is decent (less than £300) but he has a standard £250 Excess and another £250 for being under 24.

Kevin Webster and his stupid Ford Focus, i think :lol: Everyone's noticed it's done up and you look like a (car) dick, stop revvin the tits off it, youre just sitting in your car, youre not going anywhere <_<

Guest The Phoenix
Awww, TP, I was only being facetious. :P

I'm sure it's not as bad as you point it out to be. Can't be worse than Butlins or Haven or Chris Tarry or whatever it's called nowadays.

Trust me it is.

The only (good) reason for going to a holiday park is to avail yourself of the cheap and well equipped mobile home.

We have done that frequently over the years and used it as a base to visit other nearby places of interest.

The bar / club areas of holiday camps are the closest thing I can imagine to hell on earth.