Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

People who think that Scottish banknotes are legal tender. The following such comments are then made:

It says Stirling [sic.] on it so banknotes come from Scotland

What the f**k. Just... what the f**k?

It says Sterling on it so it must be legal tender

f**k all to do with it. I could write the word Sterling onto Monopoly money. Doesn't make it legal tender.

Scottish notes are legal tender. *link to Michael McIntyre sketch*

Painful that the myth should be peddled by him wrongly interpreting the actual situation to suit his sketch.

English notes aren't legal tender in Scotland, so we should reject their notes

To be consistent, you'd have to reject all notes, Scottish or English, because they have equal legal status in Scotland as promissory notes. The case in England isn't the same because Bank of England notes have the elevated status of "legal tender" like all coins do UK-wide.

Scottish notes are legal tender in Scotland

No they aren't! There's no such thing as legal tender notes in Scotland.

Now you can go into the rights and wrongs of the existing law, but the complete ignorance of it by so many people annoys me considerably.

Edited by Exuberant

People who think that Scottish banknotes are legal tender. The following such comments are then made:

1. It says Stirling [sic.] on it so banknotes come from Scotland

What the f**k. Just... what the f**k?

2. It says Sterling on it so it must be legal tender

f**k all to do with it. I could write the word Sterling onto Monopoly money. Doesn't make it legal tender.

3. Scottish notes are legal tender. *link to Michael McIntyre sketch*

Painful that the myth should be peddled by him wrongly interpreting the actual situation to suit his sketch.

4. English notes aren't legal tender in Scotland, so we should reject their notes

To be consistent, you'd have to reject all notes, Scottish or English, because they have equal legal status in Scotland as promissory notes. The case in England isn't the same because Bank of England notes have the elevated status of "legal tender" like all coins do UK-wide.

5. Scottish notes are legal tender in Scotland

No they aren't! There's no such thing as legal tender notes in Scotland.

Now you can go into the rights and wrongs of the existing law, but the complete ignorance of it by so many people annoys me considerably.

f**k off to England ya posh c**t. :angry:

Scottish notes are legal tender. *link to Michael McIntyre sketch*

I'm not sure how he's "wrongly interpreting" the actual situation. That actually does happen.

I'm not sure how he's "wrongly interpreting" the actual situation. That actually does happen.

Sorry, that should be "misleading". People think as a result of that sketch that Scottish notes ARE legal tender, which they aren't.

Sorry, that should be "misleading". People think as a result of that sketch that Scottish notes ARE legal tender, which they aren't.

Ah, I see. That makes sense then. I agree with you though that people do actually seem to believe that. I've been known to use it on occasion though. English folk won't know the difference. :D

Ah, I see. That makes sense then. I agree with you though that people do actually seem to believe that. I've been known to use it on occasion though. English folk won't know the difference. :D

I once ended up with something like a Bank of Ulster £5 note and it was all I had when I went into a costume shop. I tried to spend it and they started going "oh I don't think we can accept that". I decided to do a contained Dickson on them (i.e. no DVD player throwing) and stated "This is no less legal tender than a Bank of Scotland £5 note".

This is of course true, but then again strictly speaking, the said BOS note is no more legal tender than a shit in Simon Stainrod's Shoe. :D

no as brilliant as bottin you oot the country when we build a wall at the border

thick english twat

I'm only 1/4 English, but I'm sure the lower left half of my body will be crying without respite when the rest of me places that last brick.

No Surrender tae the Ing-lish scum, eh donkey?

I'm only 1/4 English, but I'm sure the lower left half of my body will be crying without respite when the rest of me places that last brick.

No Surrender tae the Ing-lish scum, eh donkey?

You're making the mistake of taking him seriously, an error of judgement I trust no-one makes with respect to your posts! :P