Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

And how the hell can you dismiss one of Scottish literature's seminal works, The Sunset Song? <_<

Because nothing of interest happens. The dad gets rapey and a few people die in uninteresting circumstances but that's about it. No 14 year old cares about imagery, metaphors and symbolism. I don't even care about that now. I read to be entertained and there was nothing entertaining about Sunset Song.

Evidently not a lot about Scottish literature! :D

Apparently not. That's why I have a large collection of Scottish literature such as Scott, Gunn, McIlvanney, Munro, Buchan, Gray, Banks, Stevenson, Greig, McCall Smith, Rankin, etc, etc.

Learning doesn't just stop when you leave School, College or University......

Because nothing of interest happens. The dad gets rapey and a few people die in uninteresting circumstances but that's about it. No 14 year old cares about imagery, metaphors and symbolism. I don't even care about that now. I read to be entertained and there was nothing entertaining about Sunset Song.

.....Apparently, I was wrong! :rolleyes:

One thing that annoyed me about English is how everything gets broken down and has a hidden meaning. I don't think that while the poet/author was writing they thought; 'Oh, I better use some hyperbole here, and a little imagery and symbolism here. Finally, I'll slip in a bit of a metaphor here, just for when the kids in school are reading my poem and have to break it down.'

That got on my nerves as well.

Yes, your degree must mean that the book is absolutely fantastic.

No, I never said the book was 'absolutely fantastic', but it does mean I understand it's importance and place in the continuing development of literature as a reflection of our lives and experiences, whilst often trying to explain or provide a meaning to life and society.

I shall let it rest at that and merely mourn the apparent disappearance of Kierkegaard, with whom I would have enjoyed an intellectual joust or two! :(

Apparently not. That's why I have a large collection of Scottish literature such as Scott, Gunn, McIlvanney, Munro, Buchan, Gray, Banks, Stevenson, Greig, McCall Smith, Rankin, etc, etc.

And? Scottish does not equal brilliant. Oh, and being "a reflection of its time" is not always a good thing. Take the likes of H G Wells and Dickens. Their books are reflective of their time. They are slow paced, use an absurdly pointless level of description, never use one word when ten can do a similar job, and have an attitude that is no longer relevant. That is not a good thing! Being "reflective of its time" is a poor criteria for a classic. A true classic should be timeless in addition to being of its time.

An example of this include To Kill A Mockingbird, which is a story of racism, reflective "of its time", but yet is well written and the story is timeless. But hey, I don't have a degree in English literature, what do I know?

That got on my nerves as well.

And mine.

To Kill A Mockingbird was one that I actually did get to read in school. I don't even remember finishing it to be honest. We had a habit of doing that as we never finished Of Mice and Men or The Pearl either. I never saw the point in starting books if we weren't going to finish them. Thus, I found everything we did incredibly boring.

To Kill A Mockingbird was one that I actually did get to read in school. I don't even remember finishing it to be honest. We had a habit of doing that as we never finished Of Mice and Men or The Pearl either. I never saw the point in starting books if we weren't going to finish them. Thus, I found everything we did incredibly boring.

We did of Mice and Men and Mockingbird at school too. And yes, they were destroyed by over analysis and not finishing them. Fortunately, I just ignored the rest of the class and read the book at my own speed (i.e. quickly). English classes destroy books. :(

We did of Mice and Men and Mockingbird at school too. And yes, they were destroyed by over analysis and not finishing them. Fortunately, I just ignored the rest of the class and read the book at my own speed (i.e. quickly). English classes destroy books. :(

Both American classics and of little relevance to a kid growing up in mid-1970's Geordie-land, so I didn't enjoy them or relate to them either. However, I can appreciate their relevance and place in the American literary canon.

I recall, rather hazily it must be admitted, that we were made to wade through the dreariness of the 'War Poets' - Wilfred Owen, Siegfried Sassoon et al. Dull beyond belif to a 15 year old but, with age comes maturity and wisdom and I can now understand their importance.

Anyhoo, I don't have to be where I'm going until 11:30 this morning, but what happens? Some dipstick two doors away decides it's a great idea to do some tree surgery with a chain saw at half-past nine on a driech Monday morning! :angry: Bang goes my lie in unless part of the mutilated tree drops on his heid! <_<

A Kestrel for a Knave was my favourite book in school. I also read Goodnight Mister Tom and Buddy.

We had a pretty good English teacher so she would pick all the best books and leave the shit ones for the other classes.

We got Shane/Day of the Triffids( i still have Sirs copy) as well as many of the above.

I actually learnt to appreciate literature long after i left the confines of a classroom. I have probably read more in the last 20 years than i ever read in my first 20.

Anyhoo, I don't have to be where I'm going until 11:30 this morning, but what happens? Some dipstick two doors away decides it's a great idea to do some tree surgery with a chain saw at half-past nine on a driech Monday morning! :angry:Bang goes my lie in unless part of the mutilated tree drops on his heid! <_<

It's all suddenly gone quiet! :huh: I feel a foreboding of guilt hovering over me! :(

We got Shane/Day of the Triffids( i still have Sirs copy) as well as many of the above.

I actually learnt to appreciate literature long after i left the confines of a classroom. I have probably read more in the last 20 years than i ever read in my first 20.

I agree and think it's more of a thing that if you're being made to read, as in School, you naturally feel a sub-conscious grudge against the book/author. However, if you opt to read a book yourself, you are more likely to enjoy it! :)

Right, I'm away to do a bit of research on Emil Durkheim's "On Suicide" before this morning's session! :)