Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Had a filling at the dentist last Monday. He must’ve have nicked the inside of my mouth (which I obviously didn’t feel at the time) as I’ve had a c**t of an ulcer since and it’s showing no signs of disappearing [emoji34]

Maybe it’s actually some tropical insect has somehow made it here and has laid eggs in your mouth. Don’t be so hasty to blame your dentist, like you said you didn’t feel anything.

1 minute ago, Daydream said:

Maybe it’s actually some tropical insect has somehow made it here and has laid eggs in your mouth. Don’t be so hasty to blame your dentist, like you said you didn’t feel anything.

What tropical insect lives in the south side of Glasgow? 😛 

1 hour ago, Daydream said:

Listening to my ‘Liked Songs’ on Spotify a bit too much so that I don’t like them as much anymore.

As and when I get invited on 'Desert Island Discs', I'm going to have to pick songs I don't like all that much so it doesn't spoil the songs I really do like.

Had a filling at the dentist last Monday. He must’ve have nicked the inside of my mouth (which I obviously didn’t feel at the time) as I’ve had a c**t of an ulcer since and it’s showing no signs of disappearing [emoji34]
Dr P&B says nah that's a symptom of Bad AIDS. #prayforIainMorton

The word 'door'. 

Why the double-o? If 'dore' had been used up for something else, then perhaps it may be slightly acceptable. But it hasn't. 

Bore, core, fore, gore etc, not boor, coor, foor or goor. Stupid language. 

The word 'door'. 
Why the double-o? If 'dore' had been used up for something else, then perhaps it may be slightly acceptable. But it hasn't. 
Are you my French teacher from school? Whenever we would whinge about how hard French was she'd launch into a similar tirade about how difficult English was in comparison to French. Using similar examples too. Hiya Mrs Kirkpatrick, hiya pal.

22 minutes ago, Swarley said:
8 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:
The word 'door'. 

Are you my French teacher from school? Whenever we would whinge about how hard French was she'd launch into a similar tirade about how difficult English was in comparison to French. Using similar examples too. Hiya Mrs Kirkpatrick, hiya pal.

I barely speak a word of French,  which is something that seems to piss off the French to no end.  Long may the fun continue.

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

Folk who can't be bothered making even the smallest effort to speak the language of the country they're visiting as the most basic of common courtesies.

On a similar note, years back I worked in a restaurant as a waiter and one of my colleagues was Polish.

He was a great guy who actually spoke very good English and was always great at the job.

One night some c**t was in on an oil and gas works do and stopped him as he was passing the table 'go and get me a glass of tinto, my man'. He was confused as to what he wanted and kept asking him to repeat, the guy would not budge and just kept saying tinto about four times.

Eventually he asked me for some advice and I informed him the guy wanted a red wine. The guy looked at me and nodded as if to say 'yeah, you knew what I meant'.

I wish I'd lamped the horrible c**t.

Folk who can't be bothered making even the smallest effort to speak the language of the country they're visiting as the most basic of common courtesies.

Agreed.  I've not visited France since I was a teenager tbf, just passed through CDG and Montreal during transit in recent years. I've noticed that Air France staff don't take it particularly well though. 

In a former life as a tour guide, I once saw a proper heads gone from a French customer after I gave part of the tour in German for one of the kids but I couldn't give anything for French. Everybody got a whole lesson on the French Empire for free.  When he brought up Namibia as being the German Empire, me letting him know I'd been there more recently than France simply poured fuel on the fire. 

4 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

.  When he brought up Namibia as being the German Empire, me letting him know I'd been there more recently than France simply poured fuel on the fire. 

I presume he promptly surrendered at that point.

8 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

On a similar note, years back I worked in a restaurant as a waiter and one of my colleagues was Polish. 

Whilst working as said tour guide, I was going out with one of the two Polish girls that were seasonal workers at the local restaurant. 

The two of them chatting away in Polish became a standard thing (which I never minded tbh) but after a couple of months, I memorised a sentence (something like "I need to nip over to the shop, I'll be back shortly") that I said before running off for a bit.  To say there was a look of utter horror when they thought I'd understood everything they'd been saying for week upon week would be an understatement. I found it funny. She did not. 

I've been told on occasion that it would be easier for them if I just spoke English, bit dispiriting.

22 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I've been told on occasion that it would be easier for them if I just spoke English, bit dispiriting.

The other guide gave his tour in best broad 'Fife' when a French couple said "don't try French, speak as you would".  They just sat there and I can only imagine they caught nothing of it. 

ETA for a proper PTTGOYN: Scots that speak French with the full blown super-nasal one's best French accent. I've never seen a French person put on any English or Scottish accent over this side of the Channel when they roll out the English.

Edited by Hedgecutter

9 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

ETA for a proper PTTGOYN: Scots that speak French with the full blown French accent. I've never seen a French person put on any English or Scottish accent over this side of the Channel. Even Highlander couldn't be f***ed with that. 

If you don't make some attempt to sound like French speakers do you'll be incomprehensible. Spanish are the worst for it when they try to speak English using Spanish sounds.