Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

13 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Just moved flat and on my new walk to work I walk past three lollipop ladies who are all stationed at zebra crossings.

What's the point? There's already a zebra crossing.

Some drivers are fucking idiots and don't know to stop unless there is a person stood in front of them telling them to stop with a big STOP sign on a stick. 

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

We pick up our granddaughter from school once or twice a week, she is 7.

It worries me the number of kids around her age that seem to be making their own way home.

Did you not make your own way home from school at that age? 

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

Possibly.  Probably; I lived very close and had no roads to cross.

Changed days though since I was 7.

I don't think the risks to children have changed at all, just perceptions.

I think it's more about traffic management. The crossing near my kids' school sees a constant stream of kids in the morning and at kicking out time.

If you just allowed pedestrians to use the crossing when they like it would lead to massive queues of cars sitting waiting. This would lead to the impatient idiots not giving pedestrians right of way and just driving through risking lives.

Breaking the pedestrians up into groups and allowing traffic to flow seems like a good idea to me.

Did you not make your own way home from school at that age? 
This is one of those topics that gets done to death in all walks of life. As much as I cant remember at what age I started it, at primary school I regularly walked to and from school which was about 2 and a bit miles.

Just now, Granny Danger said:

When it comes to looking after kids perception is just as important as reality.

I'm glad I grew up when I did, playing with my mates down Grangemouth docks and out in the woods, zero adult supervision as long as you got back in time for tea. 

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Possibly.  Probably; I lived very close and had no roads to cross.

Changed days though since I was 7.

So at what age do you think it's acceptable to let a child walk to/from school unaccompanied?

Just now, GordonD said:

So at what age do you think it's acceptable to let a child walk to/from school unaccompanied?

Depends on the child, the distance, the number of roads to cross, how busy the roads are, the area...

Do you think there is one universal age?

2 hours ago, Swarley said:

I think it's more about traffic management. The crossing near my kids' school sees a constant stream of kids in the morning and at kicking out time.

If you just allowed pedestrians to use the crossing when they like it would lead to massive queues of cars sitting waiting. This would lead to the impatient idiots not giving pedestrians right of way and just driving through risking lives.

Breaking the pedestrians up into groups and allowing traffic to flow seems like a good idea to me.

This is exactly why they do it.

54 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Depends on the child, the distance, the number of roads to cross, how busy the roads are, the area...

Do you think there is one universal age?

No, I was going to point out that every child is different.  I don't recall how old I was when my mum stopped taking me - I had one fairly quiet road to cross (with a lollipop man) and one quiet side-street (a cul-de-sac) before I came to my own street. (Also a cul-de-sac.) Coming home there would be a crowd of us, not so much going to school in the morning. I also went home for dinner so the same question arose then. Anyway as I said I can't remember how old I was but I'm sure I was doing it by the time I was seven.

2 minutes ago, GordonD said:

No, I was going to point out that every child is different.  I don't recall how old I was when my mum stopped taking me - I had one fairly quiet road to cross (with a lollipop man) and one quiet side-street (a cul-de-sac) before I came to my own street. (Also a cul-de-sac.) Coming home there would be a crowd of us, not so much going to school in the morning. I also went home for dinner so the same question arose then. Anyway as I said I can't remember how old I was but I'm sure I was doing it by the time I was seven.

My Mum stopped taking me when she was delayed one day and I just walked home on my own. About 6 I think.

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

We pick up our granddaughter from school once or twice a week, she is 7.

It worries me the number of kids around her age that seem to be making their own way home.

Kids are at far greater risk from all the cars picking up and dropping off at schools than they are from walking there and back.