Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Well, if you want to argue on that front then there's no such thing as a self-less act anyway, what with the boost to ego and self-worth through doing good dees, so you can totally discard that part of my rant if you so wish. The rest stands though.

There remains, however, a clear difference between deliberately unpublicised acts of charity and public work, as opposed to a move that has quite possibly been disclosed with PR in mind. Which I'd guess is the issue many people are discussing.

It quite clearly isn't "self-less", then.

Well, if you want to argue on that front then there's no such thing as a self-less act anyway, what with the boost to ego and self-worth through doing good dees, so you can totally discard that part of my rant if you so wish. The rest stands though.

Why would you want to "do a good dee"? Did you secretly want to give Biggie or myself a kicking that night? I thought we got along swimmingly as well.

f**k you J!

There remains, however, a clear difference between deliberately unpublicised acts of charity and public work, as opposed to a move that has quite possibly been disclosed with PR in mind. Which I'd guess is the issue many people are discussing.

Yes, but why is it that automatically that's the conclusion people reach (and I'm not talking about discussion, I'm talking about straight conclusions that many seem to have reached) as opposed to maybe just accepting that a good guy has done a good deed, or that if it is a PR excercise that as opposed to being an excercise in improving his image - which is already massively positive anyway - it's actually an attempt to encourage other players and public figures to follow suit? It's constant negativity and cynicism that irritates me.

Why would you want to "do a good dee"? Did you secretly want to give Biggie or myself a kicking that night? I thought we got along swimmingly as well.

f**k you J!

:P merely a typo of course my friend, although if I did mean it as it came out, "doing a good dee" could also be read another way. We DID get on well after all... "f**k you J!"? What a way to put it...

:wub::lol:

I hate that people continually have to try and appear edgy and controversial in an attempt to appear cool. Today is a perfect example. David Beckham signs a 5 month contract with the ludicrously rich PSG and decides that every penny from his prospective salary is going to be donated to charity. He's quite correctly applauded for this self-less act that is going to improve the lives of many people. Great, right...?

Nope, not for the "look how controversial and cool I am" brigade, apparently it's no big deal "because he can afford it", "it's just the same as me giving a pound to a bum in the street" or "it's just a PR stunt". So what? Why is it any less laudable if he is rich or if it is just to boost his reputation? The man is giving, I would assume, at the very least a million pounds of his own money to charity. Can people not just accept this for the fantastic gesture it is? Does there have to be negativity imposed in everything?

People have been all over Twitter lauding him and urging him to be given a knighthood for being a hero.

He was actually offered a knighthood after his contribution to the Olympics, but declined, saying: "Sorry, I don't play chess."

Yes, but why is it that automatically that's the conclusion people reach (and I'm not talking about discussion, I'm talking about straight conclusions that many seem to have reached) as opposed to maybe just accepting that a good guy has done a good deed, or that if it is a PR excercise that as opposed to being an excercise in improving his image - which is already massively positive anyway - it's actually an attempt to encourage other players and public figures to follow suit? It's constant negativity and cynicism that irritates me.

It's a conclusion people have reached because he discussed it in a press conference this afternoon. What was to stop him playing for PSG, making an equal donation to the children's charity, and moving on with whatever he plans to do next?

I'm really not sure why you expected no-one to raise this point tbh.

:P merely a typo of course my friend, although if I did mean it as it came out, "doing a good dee" could also be read another way. We DID get on well after all... "f**k you J!"? What a way to put it...

:wub::lol:

Negativity and cynicism are all I've got.

It is a nice gesture, one that should be applauded but not overly so. It is, after all, for him, a drop in the ocean. It isn't like he is giving his image right's earnings away.

"but not overly so"? Bloody hell, man. Is there an unwritten rule whereby only charity above a certain percentage of ones overall net worth is deemed acceptable? How much should he have donated to charity to deserve plaudits?

It's a conclusion people have reached because he discussed it in a press conference this afternoon. What was to stop him playing for PSG, making an equal donation to the children's charity, and moving on with whatever he plans to do next?

I'm really not sure why you expected no-one to raise this point tbh.

Oh, I fully expected it, but do you not think it's a little sad that a man can't publicise the fact that he is donating £150,000 a week for 5 months without being criticised or having his motives questioned? It can't just be a good deed or philantrophic gesture? Announcing it also not only gives publicit to the charitable foundations he'll be donating to, but also may encourage others that - rightly or wrongly - look up to Beckham to do similar. People copy his hairstyles, maybe some will copy his charitable nature too.

Conversley, if he hadn't announced it, just donated the money without telling a soul, how many people would have - incorrectly - criticised him for "only going for the money" to the cash rich PSG who are already bursting with talent? "It's just a cynical marketing ploy to increase Brand Beckham, promote PSG and the c**t will probably be making millions out of it too".

It's not just this example, it happens with absolutely everything. No good deed or worthwhile venture goes off without cynicism and negativity, no matter how profound or charitable it is. Take Children in Need for example, people raising millions of pounds for those that need it, how do some people greet it? "Oh, those celebrity c***s are only doing it to increase their profile". Well, so what? If that's a by-product of people helping and improving the lives of others then all the better, they deserve it for aiding the less fortunate. Why does that have to be criticised and portrayed negatively?

It's a fucking sad state of affairs!

It is a nice gesture, one that should be applauded but not overly so. It is, after all, for him, a drop in the ocean. It isn't like he is giving his image right's earnings away.

I very much doubt its a "drop in the ocean", but still, "not overly so"? Bloody hell, thats a bit harsh is it not??

Oh, I fully expected it, but do you not think it's a little sad that a man can't publicise the fact that he is donating £150,000 a week for 5 months without being criticised or having his motives questioned?

Why does the person in question need to publicise said donation? There's nothing at all 'edgy' or 'controversialist' about raising this issue.

Oh and Children in Need is fucking shite. Going by the usual garbage they produce for it, I had assumed they were wanting bribes to stop broadcasting it in the near future.

My future sister in laws smart attitude and smarminess. The only reason I've not delivered a swift boot to the pie is because my partner keeps telling me to leave it out.

My future sister in laws smart attitude and smarminess. The only reason I've not delivered a swift boot to the pie is because my partner keeps telling me to leave it out.

Does she fancy a night of bad sex?

The sis-in-law I mean ;)