Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Something that gets on my nerves is the reaction from some quarters to the Old Firm, and other Scottish teams' exit from European competition this season.

In one newspaper, it depicts the 'big two, as a big joke', which in the circumstances seems a fair headline in journalistic terms. However, later in the article, it concludes that Hearts 'embarassed the nation' in their tie. Now maybe my hatred of the Old Firm clouds my judgement here, but did Hearts really do such a thing?

They were thumped 5-0 at home, yes. However, they were up against a far, far superior side. A side who's budget dwarfs that of Hearts, who's players are massively better than Hearts' and who play at an excellent level of world football. I don't think they have 'embarassed' us or Scottish Football. What I think is embarassing is two teams, much bigger than Hearts, with much more money than Hearts, crashing out to two sides, who some may not have heard of, who play in the Swiss and Slovenian leagues respectively, being knocked out of Europe (again) having been shaming the nation both on and off the pitch for several years now. It's unfortunate that it's not good for Scottish Football, but if that's the input from our 'best' sides, is it worth being upset that they won't be in European competition any more this season?

Rant over!

Something that gets on my nerves is the reaction from some quarters to the Old Firm, and other Scottish teams' exit from European competition this season.

In one newspaper, it depicts the 'big two, as a big joke', which in the circumstances seems a fair headline in journalistic terms. However, later in the article, it concludes that Hearts 'embarassed the nation' in their tie. Now maybe my hatred of the Old Firm clouds my judgement here, but did Hearts really do such a thing?

They were thumped 5-0 at home, yes. However, they were up against a far, far superior side. A side who's budget dwarfs that of Hearts, who's players are massively better than Hearts' and who play at an excellent level of world football. I don't think they have 'embarassed' us or Scottish Football. What I think is embarassing is two teams, much bigger than Hearts, with much more money than Hearts, crashing out to two sides, who some may not have heard of, who play in the Swiss and Slovenian leagues respectively, being knocked out of Europe (again) having been shaming the nation both on and off the pitch for several years now. It's unfortunate that it's not good for Scottish Football, but if that's the input from our 'best' sides, is it worth being upset that they won't be in European competition any more this season?

Rant over!

I agree with what you say about the OF but whilst I fully expected Hearts to get beat it was the manner of it that was embarrassing. They played like total amateurs.

I agree with what you say about the OF but whilst I fully expected Hearts to get beat it was the manner of it that was embarrassing. They played like total amateurs.

I know what you mean, but given the gulf in quality between the SPL and The Premiership (that in itself is a debate which can run forever and always draws differing opinions), I don't think it was an embarassment. I don't think Hearts ever stood a chance in the tie. The quality they were up against was so much better than their usual opponents in the SPL, they were always going to struggle. Also, they 'stemmed the flow' so-to-speak with a draw at White Hart Lane last night, and while Spurs rested a fair few players, there will be some Premiership sides this season that won't come away with a draw...

The good news is that apparently its just a short term electoral setback, and the right thing to do is to keep attacking the SNP. Nick Clegg obviously has a good handle on things north of the border.

I'll discuss this with you later, but there's something a bit more fundamental than that.

The quality they were up against was so much better than their usual opponents in the SPL, they were always going to struggle.

They couldn't even match them for pace and strength in the first game, never mind technical ability (which was a foregone conclusion).

My PTTGOYN is the crowds of wankers with nothing better to do with their Friday than stand in the middle of George Square and gawp at the making of an undoubtedly terrible and error-strewn movie.

They couldn't even match them for pace and strength in the first game, never mind technical ability (which was a foregone conclusion).

That was kind of what I was meaning. Spurs (or any premiership side) is always going to be of a higher technical ability, and most would be faster, stronger and more athletic too, so I don't see the Hearts result as as much of an embarassment (or an embarassment at all really) as Rangers' and Celtic's pathetic demises in the same competition.

9 member(s) have a birthday today

mythicalcreature (26), iron mike python (25), true_rover (23), saint dave (42), ditots (36), Grim O'Grady , jose_chilavert (30), Ahma Gan Hame (27), puretekkle (18)

I'm feeling old :(

Happy birthday to all you younger bassa's

You mean like the one i have just opened,I am of course according to our resident alias accounts a raging alcholic ;)

That is a lie as i am a happy alcholic :P

You're more of a drunk. Alcoholics go to meetings.

Our resident alias accounts have missed the fact that they are teenagers who would rather obsess about an internet forum than go out and possibly meet a woman. Sad acts. :lol: