Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Needing to sleep. Wake up at half 7, work at half 8, get home around 6.30-7ish if im lucky, go out some nights with mates, then come straight and sleep until half 7. No time to myself!

Edited by RandomGuy

Had an interview on Friday for a part-time job in the evenings when I'm back at Uni. Thought it went pretty well - the manager said he'd phone me by Sunday evening to let me know either way. Didn't hear anything from him on Sunday or yesterday, so I phoned this morning. The manager wasn't in but a colleague said she'd get him to phone me when he started his work at three.

It's now nearly ten past four and I haven't heard. Really, really poor. If for some reason I haven't got the job at least do the decency to phone up and let me know.

Had an interview on Friday for a part-time job in the evenings when I'm back at Uni. Thought it went pretty well - the manager said he'd phone me by Sunday evening to let me know either way. Didn't hear anything from him on Sunday or yesterday, so I phoned this morning. The manager wasn't in but a colleague said she'd get him to phone me when he started his work at three.

It's now nearly ten past four and I haven't heard. Really, really poor. If for some reason I haven't got the job at least do the decency to phone up and let me know.

It's a bit shite mate :( . Been in that situation myself. Currently still looking for employment

TSC?

... that you don't get exams back to see exactly how they were marked.

I was fairly confident of getting an A in one of my modules; results came out today and I got a fcking B2.

In another, I was pretty certain I'd only done enough to scrape a pass; got a B1.

In the other, I was certain I'd failed epicly, and I did.

Never studied though; couldn't find any motivation whatsoever - due to the fact that I hate uni now but might as well finish my degree, and am far too laid back about things.

Whoever decided exams would be sat in January is a moron anyway ...

... that you don't get exams back to see exactly how they were marked.

I was fairly confident of getting an A in one of my modules; results came out today and I got a fcking B2.

In another, I was pretty certain I'd only done enough to scrape a pass; got a B1.

In the other, I was certain I'd failed epicly, and I did.

Never studied though; couldn't find any motivation whatsoever - due to the fact that I hate uni now but might as well finish my degree, and am far too laid back about things.

Whoever decided exams would be sat in January is a moron anyway ...

I sat a horrific exam in December. Nothing I studied for came up. I got a shite mark for the actual exam but passed overall. I really wish we could see how the exams were marked as well. With this particular exam, one of the questions I spoke about a completely different topic and used no examples. For the other question I wrote a page and a quarter of absolute garbage.

Infestation of ants in the house

One of my suggestions on the 'Spiteful things to do...' thread!

I dislike hearing about how the NHS loses so much on missed appointments yet send you letters at short notice saying they've changed your appointment time, just assuming that you'll get it, change the time to go away from work etc and get there on time. If we don't, it's all our fault.

I sat a horrific exam in December. Nothing I studied for came up. I got a shite mark for the actual exam but passed overall. I really wish we could see how the exams were marked as well. With this particular exam, one of the questions I spoke about a completely different topic and used no examples. For the other question I wrote a page and a quarter of absolute garbage.

Another pet hate - listening to students whinge about studying the topics in the previous exams and then find that they're not in their exam.'But it was in the last three!" - more reason why it's more likely not to turn up!!!

Another pet hate - listening to students whinge about studying the topics in the previous exams and then find that they're not in their exam.'But it was in the last three!" - more reason why it's more likely not to turn up!!!

That's not the case though. If a topic is coming up year after year it must be a topic of great importance to the class. For example, if I am studying a class on the history of Weimar Germany, I'd expect a question on the rise of the Nazi party in every single paper, in whatever way it is structured.

That's not the case though. If a topic is coming up year after year it must be a topic of great importance to the class. For example, if I am studying a class on the history of Weimar Germany, I'd expect a question on the rise of the Nazi party in every single paper, in whatever way it is structured.

It would depend how many questions you were being given and how specific they wer I'd have thought.

It's not a foregone conclusion that an exam paper on the Weimar Republic would have to include a question on the rise of the Nazi party. Questions could cover impact of the constitution on Weimar governance; the effect of reparations on the economy; the extent to which German civil society changed in the aftermath of WWI; why the Communists failed in Bavaria...

It would depend how many questions you were being given and how specific they wer I'd have thought.

It's not a foregone conclusion that an exam paper on the Weimar Republic would have to include a question on the rise of the Nazi party. Questions could cover impact of the constitution on Weimar governance; the effect of reparations on the economy; the extent to which German civil society changed in the aftermath of WWI; why the Communists failed in Bavaria...

They could include lots of other questions but no examiner would. The fall of the Republic is a key theme and to credibly pass the class, you should demonstrate a working knowledge of that. So anyone studying should be focusing one question on that area and if it doesn't come up questions should be asked about the setup of the exam.

They could include lots of other questions but no examiner would. The fall of the Republic is a key theme and to credibly pass the class, you should demonstrate a working knowledge of that. So anyone studying should be focusing one question on that area and if it doesn't come up questions should be asked about the setup of the exam.

I wouldn't go that far. Surely the whole point of an exam would be that a theme as big as that should be presumed requisite knowledge, and would be incidental rather than at the very centre of exam questions?

If ever I were to write an exam paper, I'd certainly make a point of not parroting hugely vague questions or those that were perceived as "predictable".

I wouldn't go that far. Surely the whole point of an exam would be that a theme as big as that should be presumed requisite knowledge, and would be incidental rather than at the very centre of exam questions?

In what way would the rise of the Nazi party be considered a prerequsite of a class on Weimar Germany? Unless it is an advanced class with a pre-entry requirement, you can't establish what subjects of history people have looked at it in the past, and cannot rely on inherent knowledge. It is central to the framework of the class, you must raise it within the exam to test understanding.

If ever I were to write an exam paper, I'd certainly make a point of not parroting hugely vague questions or those that were perceived as "predictable".

You've demonstrated a clear lack of understanding as to what I was saying. I'd fail you right here.

The themes stay broadly the same but the questions differ. That is how it works. If an important theme is not raised, the exam is insufficient.

Edited by vikingTON

In what way would the rise of the Nazi party be considered a prerequsite of a class on Weimar Germany? Unless it is an advanced class with a pre-entry requirement, you can't establish what subjects of history people have looked at it in the past, and cannot rely on inherent knowledge. It is central to the framework of the class, you must raise it within the exam to test understanding.

You've demonstrated a clear lack of understanding as to what I was saying. I'd fail you right here.

The themes stay broadly the same but the questions differ. That is how it works.

The point I was making was that there could be several questions that require an understanding of the rise of the Nazis which don't reference them in the actual question and which don't place them at the entire heart of the question.

For example a question like "Discuss the extent to which economic conditions were responsible for the fall of the Weimar Republic" has a large focus on a particular area of History which requires pre-requisite knowledge of the rise of the Nazis, a connected but also distinct cause of the fall of the Weimar Republic. The question is not about the rise of the Nazi party; nonetheless an understanding of it must be demonstrated to give an adequate answer to the question.

You wouldn't then expect one of the other questions in the same exam paper to be "Why did the Nazis come to power in 1933/What were the main reasons for the growth of Nazism in Weimar Germany/etc"