Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

It was obvious from the other thread that a number of posters on here have been affected by it, be it first hand experience or second hand. It was the correct decision for it to be closed, because people feel very strongly about the subject and could easily end wound up.

This place is supposed to be somewhere for lighthearted discussion. With posters setting out to simply annoy people, it could end up opening up some old wounds, and this really isn't the place for it.

So are you saying we should have no serious discussion on anything in case it ends up reopening old wounds? I can see your point, but surely to bar all discussion related to say, mental health, which we seem to be on our way to doing, is just going to reinforce stupidity and negative stereotypes, and stigmatise the issue further. Education should be the tool used, not censorship.

Regarding the minority who try to spoil it, you will always get that, everywhere. To use it as a bigger example, this reaction is a bit like flattening an entire country and killing thousands because of the actions of a couple nutters. The minority must not be treated as the majority!

Guest The Phoenix
Yes, that's exactly what a mod closing a thread on a football forum is like. :huh:

I'm more concerned about how he knows what flattening an entire country is like.

Guest The Phoenix
There's an obvious answer here, but I'll hand the ball to someone else. ;)

It did cross my mind as well but getting the PTTGOYN Thread closed is probably a bridge too far.

Heavy snow forecast for most of Scotland tomorrow. Meaning my Dad's threatening not to drive up to Perth tomorrow for the football if the conditions on the road are bad. Which is a shame because I'll be gutted if I can't go as I've been looking forward to going. If my dad chooses not to go I can probably hitch a lift with my mate but he's not been driving long and I would guess he wouldn't want to drive up either.

Also my wireless internet has been playing up. Which is very annoying.

Heavy snow forecast for most of Scotland tomorrow. Meaning my Dad's threatening not to drive up to Perth tomorrow for the football if the conditions on the road are bad. Which is a shame because I'll be gutted if I can't go as I've been looking forward to going. If my dad chooses not to go I can probably hitch a lift with my mate but he's not been driving long and I would guess he wouldn't want to drive up either.

Also my wireless internet has been playing up. Which is very annoying.

Dundee to perth.Get the bus .

Got to read a book and hand in a summary for Monday.

Aye, like that's going to happen. I love the internet.

I assume you're angling for help with your homework again? :rolleyes:

Good point actually. Ridley Walker or something I think. :unsure:

If so, it would help if you got the title of the book right to start with! <_<

Edit: This is actually the same Picador edition I have:

post-1053-1261178187_thumb.jpg

Riddley Walker is a book . Ridley Scott was responsible for Alien .

Correct! :)

Riddley Walker is written by Russell Hoban, also famous for:

The Lion of Boaz-Jachin and Jachin-Boaz,<LI>Kleinzeit (my personal favourite and a fantastic book)<LI>Turtle Diary (later made into a film with Glenda Jackson and Ben Kingsley, Screenplay by Harold Pinter)<LI>Pilgermann<LI>The Medusa Frequency<LI>Fremder<LI>Mr. Rinyo-Clacton's Offer<LI>Angelica's Grotto<LI>Amaryllis Night and Day<LI>The Bat Tattoo<LI>Her Name Was Lola<LI>Come Dance with Me <LI>Linger Awhile<LI>My Tango with Barbara Strozzi

He also has a large number of children's books, the best being The Mouse And His Child which, although for kids, is a fantastic moral tale about self-worth and self-belief. It also has a novel example of infinite introspection. The Mouse and his Child see a Bonzo dog food tin. It's label has a picture of a dog in an apron, on its hind legs, holding a serving tray on which there is a tin of Bonzo dog food, with a label showing a picture of a dog in an apron, on its hind legs, holding a serving tray on which there is a tin of Bonzo dog food, with a label showing a picture of a dog in an apron, on its hind legs, holding a serving tray on which there is a tin of Bonzo dog food..... :)

Unfortunately, Riddley Walker is atypical of Hoban's work, being written in a Joycean Finnegans Wake style and dealing with the hero being left in a land devastated by nuclear war. I never really got into it, despite three attempts, as I found the language too challenging, so the best I can offer you is Riddley Walker (1980). A quick scan of the 'Character's and References' section will give you an example of the language used - 'Puter Leat' = Computor Elite etc.

Shame it wasn't Kleinzeit or Turtle Diary, but I suppose Riddley Walker can best be seen as a post Lord of the Flies book; ie. For what 'could' happen, read what 'has' happened.

Hope that helps! :)

Edited by Kilt