Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

For what it's worth, I'm glad that particular thread was closed. It seems to me that this site is one of the more tolerant out there, but some things are just too close to the bone. Now, you could say "well don't post in it then", but with regards to mental illness, let's just say it's a bit close to home and leave it at that. If people get a genuine kick out of coming out with statements that a psychopath could see would disturb some contributors, fair enough. Those posters, and it's obvious who they are, could deny the holocaust for a bit of a laugh. That's a matter for their own conscience. I think the mods in general don't tend to overreact. In this case, noone was banned, and had the thread carried on, I probably would have been.

But in closing the threads, you also close the decent, reasoned replies. And this issue I feel is one in which we are getting dangerously close to moving from "don't mock it", to "don't talk about it". Its just my opinion, but it could be argued that by refusing to allow any talk of mental health or medical conditions, then we are in effect stigmatising it further. Surely it would be better to have the idiots shown up for what they are, and keep the opportunity to educate those who don't know the facts?

Just my opinion likes.

For what it's worth, I'm glad that particular thread was closed. It seems to me that this site is one of the more tolerant out there, but some things are just too close to the bone. Now, you could say "well don't post in it then", but with regards to mental illness, let's just say it's a bit close to home and leave it at that. If people get a genuine kick out of coming out with statements that a psychopath could see would disturb some contributors, fair enough. Those posters, and it's obvious who they are, could deny the holocaust for a bit of a laugh. That's a matter for their own conscience. I think the mods in general don't tend to overreact. In this case, noone was banned, and had the thread carried on, I probably would have been.

I appreciate that it's just the internet. I appreciate also that censorship is not something that we would like to see. But outright mocking of a very specificand vulnerable part of the population really isn't a matter for "general nonsense" IMO. And the irony of Larsson apparently annoyed because he can't spread more verbal diarrhoea over the net is not lost on me.

Not being funny, but you really need to try and lighten up a wee bit, lifes to short.

But in closing the threads, you also close the decent, reasoned replies. And this issue I feel is one in which we are getting dangerously close to moving from "don't mock it", to "don't talk about it". Its just my opinion, but it could be argued that by refusing to allow any talk of mental health or medical conditions, then we are in effect stigmatising it further. Surely it would be better to have the idiots shown up for what they are, and keep the opportunity to educate those who don't know the facts?

Just my opinion likes.

Yeah, there are a lot of "opinions" around on this one. Except this isn't about opinion, it's about demostrable fact. Unfortunately, idiocy or willful ignorance on that sort of subject isn't about stigmatising, it's about a shower of mindless c***s on the wind up.

I think the idiots were shown up for what they are anyway. I could have gone through a basic neurochemistry 101 course, and would still have been presented with, "yeh, well that's your opinion". That isn't debate xbass, it's shit.

Yeah, there are a lot of "opinions" around on this one. Except this isn't about opinion, it's about demostrable fact. Unfortunately, idiocy or willful ignorance on that sort of subject isn't about stigmatising, it's about a shower of mindless c***s on the wind up.

I think the idiots were shown up for what they are anyway. I could have gone through a basic neurochemistry 101 course, and would still have been presented with, "yeh, well that's your opinion". That isn't debate xbass, it's shit.

But while this is true for many people, it isn't true for all. For example, I recall the mental health thread from a couple years back because I learned stuff I didn't know from it. So while there are people on the wind up, should we close the thread because of this minority? As I said, it runs the risk of stigmatising it so that any conversation at all is forbidden. And I agree with you, the idiots were shown up for what they were on that thread...so why close it?

Edited by xbl

But while this is true for many people, it isn't true for all. For example, I recall the mental health thread from a couple years back because I learned stuff I didn't know from it. So while there are people on the wind up, should we close the thread because of this minority? As I said, it runs the risk of stigmatising it so that any conversation at all is forbidden. And I agree with you, the idiots were shown up for what they were on that thread...so why close it?

It was obvious from the other thread that a number of posters on here have been affected by it, be it first hand experience or second hand. It was the correct decision for it to be closed, because people feel very strongly about the subject and could easily end wound up.

This place is supposed to be somewhere for lighthearted discussion. With posters setting out to simply annoy people, it could end up opening up some old wounds, and this really isn't the place for it.

I know this is a pretty rubbish example, but if someone came on here with a thread about cancer and it ended up sabotaged, it would be closed in a heartbeat.

You're responding to the poster, not the post.

He actually does raise a point.

Perhaps I was, but when you go on as many fishing trips as XBL does, what do you expect? When do you take him serious?

As far as his point goes, I disagree. In my time on here, I've seen plenty of threads closed for the same reasons that the mental health one was.

Perhaps if XBL wishes to make a serious point he should go on less pointless fishing attempts.

Because people need to be protected from themselves!