Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Has anyone noticed that in recent months, more and more threads are being closed? I recall there was a very similar mental health thread a couple years back which just ran and ran. A similar one started today is closed promptly. I'm not pointing any fingers or having a go, just making an observation. Is it because the increased popularity of the site means certain things have to be observed? Is it a personal decision by the mods? It seems rather odd though tbh.

Has anyone noticed that in recent months, more and more threads are being closed? I recall there was a very similar mental health thread a couple years back which just ran and ran. A similar one started today is closed promptly. I'm not pointing any fingers or having a go, just making an observation. Is it because the increased popularity of the site means certain things have to be observed? Is it a personal decision by the mods? It seems rather odd though tbh.

It's because people run away crying to the complaints forum for anything now.

Aye but there will be another one along shortly.

You weren't wrong.

Music Mood Swings...., lets keep it mental health free

And that's just been closed as well!! :lol::lol:

What did you order? Was it a special ivory knife for sacrificing goats, or just more anal beads?

Good afternoon, I hope I find you well? :)

No, neither of those. Just two T-shirts. Sorry not to live up to your fantasy world expectations! :)

1/10.

1/10.

Its actually a serious point. There wasn't a thing wrong with Larssons thread about music, and it was closed. The original thread had the idiots being shouted down by more sensible posters, who made good points. A couple years ago, the threads would not have been closed, but now, they so frequently are. Take mental illness. Idiots make points, good posters make sensible thought out arguments that could be seen as educational and informative. So why close it? Good points were made.

Am I the only one who has noticed the rise of the closed threads in recent months? Again, not having a go at anyone here, just making an observation.

That'd better not be my parcel from America! <_<

Not that far actually,Cumbria. I just know that this will end in tears. Every parcel is bar coded i should be able to track it down. So far the last place i know it was was in Birmingham.It is supposed to be in Cumbria. Fek :( Oh whooooo is me.

Its actually a serious point. There wasn't a thing wrong with Larssons thread about music, and it was closed. The original thread had the idiots being shouted down by more sensible posters, who made good points. A couple years ago, the threads would not have been closed, but now, they so frequently are. Take mental illness. Idiots make points, good posters make sensible thought out arguments that could be seen as educational and informative. So why close it? Good points were made.

Am I the only one who has noticed the rise of the closed threads in recent months? Again, not having a go at anyone here, just making an observation.

I hate to say it but it has become a more regular occurence with Div coming along saying something along the lines of 'well this thread has ran its course' and closing it. Never happened when I first joined.

Edit: but it's not a 'serious point'. Just an observation.

Edited by GypsyTillIDie

Not that far actually,Cumbria. I just know that this will end in tears. Every parcel is bar coded i should be able to track it down. So far the last place i know it was was in Birmingham.It is supposed to be in Cumbria. Fek :( Oh whooooo is me.

Last seen in Birmingham?! :huh:

Good luck with that then! :(

You're responding to the poster, not the post.

He actually does raise a point.

I agree with that as well. Regardless of who made it, it is a valid point. I don't think the content breached any of the P&B Rules & Privacy content and I was having fun seeing just how much more ridiculous certain posters would make themselves.

Perhaps, and I only posit this for consideration, it was, however blandly phrased, clearly another vehicle for the closed thread to be continued and thus classified as 'Spamming'. Just a thought.

I hate to say it but it has become a more regular occurence with Div coming along saying something along the lines of 'well this thread has ran its course' and closing it. Never happened when I first joined.

Exactly, if all threads were closed when they were judged to have ran their course, then we would have no threads outside of page 4 of this forum. Like Gypsy says, that never happened before, and I am just interested to know why. Is it a formal change of policy from the top, or just a gradual informal change in application?

The sad thing is that I've had to post this in petty nags. If I was to post this in its own thread, then I have no doubt that under current precedent, it would be closed within minutes. When did this become the case?

I left the intial 'mental helath' thread open as I thought it would be a good opportunity for those with some knowledge of the subject at hand to counter the ridiculous 'arguments' put forward by some of the idiots that seem to proliferate the site these days.

They did exactly that. However, it quickly became apparent that posters such as Haitch weren't interested in having a debate and instead were focused on striking at the vulnerability felt by some posters due to their experiences of such problems.

Plus, we also had the case of a poster claiming to have been tarred a racist when that wasn't the case. Last week demonstrated what can spring from such a situation.

Thus, the topic was closed. A decision which has received some public and some private support.

Starting a thread with the sub-heading 'let's keep it mental health free' and subtly (as a brick) inviting further snide comments on the subject of mental health was, in my opinion, anatgonistic behaviour. Hence the reason for the second closure.

That's my reply to xbl's point.

Edited by Nizzy

The bus I get back from school broke down just over a mile from my house, meaning I had to walk for most of it on my own, in rather icy conditions, on a road with no pavements that hadn't been gritted.. I may have fallen over a couple of times too :(

The bus I get back from school broke down just over a mile from my house, meaning I had to walk for most of it on my own, in rather icy conditions, on a road with no pavements that hadn't been gritted.. I may have fallen over a couple of times too :(

Does that mean you did fall over or there was the potential for you to fall over. Were you drunk?

I left the intial 'mental helath' thread open as I thought it would be a good opportunity for those with some knowledge of the subject at hand to counter the ridiculous 'arguments' put forward by some of the idiots that seem to proliferate the site these days.

They did exactly that. However, it quickly became apparent that posters such as Haitch weren't interested in having a debate and instead were focused on striking at the vulnerability felt by some posters due to their experiences of such problems.

Plus, we also had the case of a poster claiming to have been tarred a racist when that wasn't the case. Last week demonstrated what can spring from such a situation.

Thus, the topic was closed. A decision which has received some public and some private support.

Starting a thread with the sub-heading 'let's keep it mental health free' and subtly (as a brick) inviting further snide comments on the subject of mental health was, in my opinion, anatgonistic behaviour. Hence the reason for the second closure.

That's my reply to xbl's point.

For what it's worth, I'm glad that particular thread was closed. It seems to me that this site is one of the more tolerant out there, but some things are just too close to the bone. Now, you could say "well don't post in it then", but with regards to mental illness, let's just say it's a bit close to home and leave it at that. If people get a genuine kick out of coming out with statements that a psychopath could see would disturb some contributors, fair enough. Those posters, and it's obvious who they are, could deny the holocaust for a bit of a laugh. That's a matter for their own conscience. I think the mods in general don't tend to overreact. In this case, noone was banned, and had the thread carried on, I probably would have been.

I appreciate that it's just the internet. I appreciate also that censorship is not something that we would like to see. But outright mocking of a very specificand vulnerable part of the population really isn't a matter for "general nonsense" IMO. And the irony of Larsson apparently annoyed because he can't spread more verbal diarrhoea over the net is not lost on me.