Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

And the small fact that it is against the law in Scotland to ask a woman who is brestfeeding in public to stop it.

It's actually against the law up there for anyone to prevent an infant from being fed. Breastfeeding isn't stipulated.

Our crappy English version puts a time limit of six months to that. How pants are we?! :angry: Sod it, I'm moving north. B)

Maybe we should all bookmark this and save it for the next time someone post a moan about it in here. :lol:

:lol: No need. I'll still be around. ;)

I think he has. :lol:

:lol: Think of it more as developing an understanding and compassion for those unable to care for themselves and caring for their future. B) :D

Really?! That's ridiculous! Why would anyone choose bottle over breast unless there was some medical/psychological reason? Breast is free for a start!!!

- Because they are well aware of the attitudes like those of the poster who started this subject off and don't want to be subjected to them.

- Because they themselves are uncomfortable with the prospect of breastfeeding in public no matter how accepting the public might be.

- Because their mothers belong to the generation with the lowest uptake of breastfeeding and have passed on the attitudes of 20-30 years ago.

- Because breastfeeding is more problematic than bottlefeeding - a point proved if they are fortunate enough to find out about breastfeeding support (well, you don't get bottlefeeding support do you?)

- Because they have partners who are repulsed by the idea of "sharing" the breasts with a baby.

- Because they have partners who would not let them feed in public, or even in their own house in company.

- Because formula milk is now "closer than ever" to breast milk.

There's a variety of reasons for starters. Dismissing the validity of a choice to bottlefeed as "ridiculous" is lowering yourself to the level of the people who have imparted their "wisdom" on Rowan.

My grandad has been in hospital for 2 weeks, and is very poorly. I left work at ten to go and see him as i was convinced he was going to go today, i sat with him till 6 pm. He's still hanging in there but the doctors and nurses have said he doesnt have long left, i've got a gut feeling he will go tonight, i am in fuckin bits at the moment.

My grandad has been in hospital for 2 weeks, and is very poorly. I left work at ten to go and see him as i was convinced he was going to go today, i sat with him till 6 pm. He's still hanging in there but the doctors and nurses have said he doesnt have long left, i've got a gut feeling he will go tonight, i am in fuckin bits at the moment.

Chin up boyo. My Gran has been given the last rites twice, the last time about 5 years ago, and she's still on the go. The old folk are stronger willed than people give them credit for.

Hoping for the best. ;)

Hope your Grandad is Ok Neilly.

When my girl was pregnant with Coley the nurses and midwives were more or less guilt tripping her into breast feeding. I resented them a lot for that. We were also told that the kid could grow up obese and a bit slower if not breastfed.

Cole has been bottlefed from week one, counts up to ten and strings coherent sentences together. He can also distinguish plurals, all at 2 years, 2 months.

There may well be health benefits to breast feeding mothers but I'd love to see the evidence concerning bottle feeding making kids a bit slower.

Hope your Grandad is Ok Neilly.

When my girl was pregnant with Coley the nurses and midwives were more or less guilt tripping her into breast feeding. I resented them a lot for that. We were also told that the kid could grow up obese and a bit slower if not breastfed.

Cole has been bottlefed from week one, counts up to ten and strings coherent sentences together. He can also distinguish plurals, all at 2 years, 2 months.

There may well be health benefits to breast feeding mothers but I'd love to see the evidence concerning bottle feeding making kids a bit slower.

I have heard many, many things about the benefits of breastfeeding and bottle feeding being "bad" but that is certainly not one of them.

Yep. That's where the resentment came from.

They actually said "your child will be a bit slow if you choose to bottle feed him"?

I'm stunned at that. I have my own experience of the pressure to breast feed that new mums are put under, but nothing like that.

:( No-one should be guilted in breastfeeding. It's a choice. My biggest problem lies with situations where that choice is not based around making an informed decision.

The evidence you refer to does exist, but the findings are certainly not worded in that way. The study in question found that children who were formula (not bottle) fed have a lower IQ on average than those who were breastfed. I can probably dig out a link for you if you wanted to see it. The health risks with using infant formula are well-documented.

Any of the decent, reputable studies upon which our info re infant feeding are based are conducted with groups of babies and the overall findings reported as such. An *increased risk* of something doesn't mean that every formula fed child will be affected, nor does it mean that every breastfed child will be immune.

For example, breastmilk forms a protective lining in the baby's gut which will prevent larger molecules from getting through and therefore protects against allergies, asthma, eczema, etc. Anything the baby digests other than breastmilk (water, infant formula, solid foods) will start to break this lining down and decrease the protection, therefore *increasing* the risk. There will still be some breastfed babies who suffer from asthma. There will be some formula fed babies who don't. Part of my job is to make sure people know the risks and can make their decisions appropriately, not to make them feel guilty for not choosing what I did for me and my children.

Sorry to hear that Neilly.

They actually said "your child will be a bit slow if you choose to bottle feed him"?

I'm stunned at that. I have my own experience of the pressure to breast feed that new mums are put under, but nothing like that.

They didn't quite say it word for word like that but that was definitely what they were getting at.

and THAT is exactly why no-one should be bullied into a certain way of parenting. :(

Dont get me wrong, everyone who dealt with Carol and then Coley were first class when they weren't giving us the spiel that our bairn would be fat and thick if he wasn't breast fed. They were very insistant but I suppose that their job requires them to push breast feeding.

They were very insistant but I suppose that their job requires them to push breast feeding.

I guess it often gets interpreted like that, yes. There are ways, means and times, though. Having said that, it's also easy for parents to feel like they're being criticised for formula feeding when that's not the case - such is the nature of the subject. Particularly when you've just had a baby, you're completely knackered, sore, hormones are all over the place and you're wanting to get home with your new baby. Then just one more person asks if you're breastfeeding or tells you that's it's beneficial to or even just asks why you've chosen not to...

Edited by HGG