Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

6 hours ago, hk blues said:

If it's the same thing there was a red triangle at the bottom/top of the screen to indicate adult content.  It was pretty tame stuff compared to what you can get today.  Apparently.

No, that was Channel 4.

I remember some daft old cow called into the Radio Forth phone-in on a Sunday morning and complained about one of the films. The presenter asked her why she had watched it given that the red triangle was there specifically to warn people that they might find the film offensive. She replied that she hadn't been watching to begin with, she was in bed asleep, but her friend phoned her and told her to switch on her TV as there was a really disgusting programme on.

The presenter told her she was stupid and cut her off.

11 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Who the f**k still smokes in 2023?  It cost's a fortune and you can vape inside (in a lot of places).

Weirdos, that's who IMO.

Vapers can gtf as well. Smoke is absolutely stinking but at least it's one puff of smoke at most by the time you pass them. These fuckers look like they're coming out to sing on Stars in their Eyes. 

Edited by 19QOS19

30 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Vapers can gtf as well. Smoke is absolutely stinking but at least it's one puff of smoke at most by the time you pass them. These fuckers look like their coming out to sing on Stars in their Eyes. 

Yea, I find it amazing the quantity of vape smoke these folks let out. And thr sweet, sickly smells of some of that juice. The ex tried vaping once, and was sitting inside doing it, and I’m like get the f**k outside, this is even worse.

33 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Vapers can gtf as well. Smoke is absolutely stinking but at least it's one puff of smoke at most by the time you pass them. These fuckers look like their coming out to sing on Stars in their Eyes. 

I was at a Fauldhouse United game on a hot, humid evening a few years ago. Place was louping with midges.

I tried standing next to vapers to see if that kept the little buggers away but it didn't so they're not as good as cancer sticks in that regard.

6 hours ago, GordonD said:

No, that was Channel 4.

I remember some daft old cow called into the Radio Forth phone-in on a Sunday morning and complained about one of the films. The presenter asked her why she had watched it given that the red triangle was there specifically to warn people that they might find the film offensive. She replied that she hadn't been watching to begin with, she was in bed asleep, but her friend phoned her and told her to switch on her TV as there was a really disgusting programme on.

The presenter told her she was stupid and cut her off.

Ah, yes, I remember the red triangle movie nights. I'm sure I watched some others but the only one I can specifically remember watching is "The Wicker Man". I seem to recall that the movies were introduced by a tall skinny movie critic bloke but I can't remember his name. 

11 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Ah, yes, I remember the red triangle movie nights. I'm sure I watched some others but the only one I can specifically remember watching is "The Wicker Man". I seem to recall that the movies were introduced by a tall skinny movie critic bloke but I can't remember his name. 

David Robinson.......perhaps.

38 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Vapes are fucking stinking. Some of the "flavours" are absolutely God awful and I can see why they are looking at a ban on the single use efforts. 

See these lying about almost every day at work. Just assumed folk kept losing them until someone told me they were single use. Lazy littering b*****ds. 

1 minute ago, 101 said:

I don't get why everyone doesn't smoke cigars or pipes rather than fags. Particularly pipes, they are no more expensive, have less chemicals and you can use them to point to things.

Yeah, of all the things that come round to being cool again, pipes would be a rare worthwhile one. The bigger the better aswell. Two handed efforts, ones that need set up with a tripod, ones that have a set of wheels etc cetera. 

19 hours ago, Empty It said:

Aye in general smokers are selfish c***s who expect everyone to drop everything whenever they want to indulge in their manky habit, couldn't be with a smoker, bad enough working with them.

Also they are littering b*****ds who think it's acceptable to chuck their used cigarettes on the ground, but many claim they don't (they do).

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Yeah, of all the things that come round to being cool again, pipes would be a rare worthwhile one. The bigger the better aswell. Two handed efforts, ones that need set up with a tripod, ones that have a set of wheels etc cetera. 

Exactly maybe the Christopher Waltz inglorious basterds one for travel but having this at home would look nice.

Screenshot_20230609-084048.jpg

1 hour ago, 101 said:

I don't get why everyone doesn't smoke cigars or pipes rather than fags. Particularly pipes, they are no more expensive, have less chemicals and you can use them to point to things.

Although i have never smoked, I like the smell of pipes being smoked, reminds me of standing on the terraces at Stark’s park when i was younger. 

Edited by buchan30
Keep the pedents happy.

On 02/06/2023 at 12:43, scottsdad said:

Graduation time for many - but f**k me it has been hard this year. 

I don't know why, but the exam boards this year were torture. Many of my colleagues seemed to be going out of their way to be stingy. I've been in 4 Boards this time around, both here and as external examiner at another uni. Now, I am on the lenient side. If there's a borderline case between a 1st and a 2:1, say, I'll always make the case for a higher award. Others are different and cite academic standards as a reason to argue the other way. 

But this year has been tougher than most. Colleagues being frankly mean. I had to stop one exam board and have a separate meeting with the Chair to explain the rules properly to her, and ask why they were not being applied to the benefit of some students. Some unis just use an algorithm to determine the outcomes but we have discussions. It's great when you fight hard for someone and the exam board relents (to shut me up). 

This morning, I've spent 4 hours dealing with one guy who is devastated. He has been told to come back next year to sit one course again. Had his tickets booked for graduation and everything. 

Long weekend coming up and much needed. This whole few weeks has been shite. 

Update here - managed to (after spending all fucking day last Friday) get this guy his Honours degree. Me and two colleagues fought for this and managed to find an obscure exception to the discretionary credits rule to let him through. He will graduate with his mates and his family will be there.

And today I am fighting for 4 others. They were told their results last week but due to an error in excel calculating the marks, 4 student averages have been corrected downwards. As such the exam board wants to get in touch with these guys and say "sorry, you're getting a lower award than the one we told you". I'm saying they should get what they were told. In one case the average grade dropped by 0.4%. Stingy b*****ds. 

Another Friday ruined. 

9 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Suspect you're thinking of Alex Cox (director of Repo Man) but that was on BBC2, a series of cult films called 'Moviedrome'. That was the first time I'd seen (or even heard of) The Wicker Man and I didn't know the ending so was taken completely by surprise.

19 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Update here - managed to (after spending all fucking day last Friday) get this guy his Honours degree. Me and two colleagues fought for this and managed to find an obscure exception to the discretionary credits rule to let him through. He will graduate with his mates and his family will be there.

And today I am fighting for 4 others. They were told their results last week but due to an error in excel calculating the marks, 4 student averages have been corrected downwards. As such the exam board wants to get in touch with these guys and say "sorry, you're getting a lower award than the one we told you". I'm saying they should get what they were told. In one case the average grade dropped by 0.4%. Stingy b*****ds. 

Another Friday ruined. 

Meet them half way, don't let them send an email out let them find out when on stage getting hit over the head.

25 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Another Friday ruined. 

"In brightest day, in blackest night,

No evil shall escape my sight,

Let those who worship evil's might,

Beware my power,

Green Lantern's light."