Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

1 hour ago, virginton said:

What are they going to do, shoot up another bunch of school children?

Nah, just hit you where it hurts by trashing haggis, talking about “Edin-berg”, whining about petrol costs, asking what the f**k a litre is and terrorizing drivers on roundabouts.

49 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Nah, just hit you where it hurts by trashing haggis, talking about “Edin-berg”, whining about petrol costs, asking what the f**k a litre is and terrorizing drivers on roundabouts.

I don't mind "Edinberg" so much as "Edinboro". I mean they don't say "Pittsboro" or "Harrisboro" do they?

Just now, tamthebam said:

I don't mind "Edinberg" so much as "Edinboro". I mean they don't say "Pittsboro" or "Harrisboro" do they?

Pittsburg is “Pitts-berg”…Harrisburg can be either “Harris-boro” or “Harris-berg” depending on the one you mean. The Edinburg in Texas (Edin-berg)certainly colours the pronunciation for any Texans.

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

I do hope you've performed your patriotic duty by casually convincing as many Texans as possible that a haggis is a fierce wee beastie that roams the misty glens of your homeland.

2 minutes ago, BTFD said:

I do hope you've performed your patriotic duty by casually convincing as many Texans as possible that a haggis is a fierce wee beastie that roams the misty glens of your homeland.

Absolutely…a little, rotund beastie with legs on one side of his/her/their body longer than on the other so they can run fast along a hillside…and thus their tragic weakness, if you approach them from the correct direction, they fall down the hill when they try to run away from you.

16 hours ago, BTFD said:

My favourite was when a bank teller asked if I would yodel for him 

Chatting with a hotel receptionist in Nashville and after the "what a lovely accent" bit, she asked if I'd driven over 😲🤔

38 minutes ago, Dan Steele said:

Chatting with a hotel receptionist in Nashville and after the "what a lovely accent" bit, she asked if I'd driven over 😲🤔

She'll have thought you mean Edinburg when you said where you were from.

Graduation time for many - but f**k me it has been hard this year. 

I don't know why, but the exam boards this year were torture. Many of my colleagues seemed to be going out of their way to be stingy. I've been in 4 Boards this time around, both here and as external examiner at another uni. Now, I am on the lenient side. If there's a borderline case between a 1st and a 2:1, say, I'll always make the case for a higher award. Others are different and cite academic standards as a reason to argue the other way. 

But this year has been tougher than most. Colleagues being frankly mean. I had to stop one exam board and have a separate meeting with the Chair to explain the rules properly to her, and ask why they were not being applied to the benefit of some students. Some unis just use an algorithm to determine the outcomes but we have discussions. It's great when you fight hard for someone and the exam board relents (to shut me up). 

This morning, I've spent 4 hours dealing with one guy who is devastated. He has been told to come back next year to sit one course again. Had his tickets booked for graduation and everything. 

Long weekend coming up and much needed. This whole few weeks has been shite. 

30 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Graduation time for many - but f**k me it has been hard this year. 

I don't know why, but the exam boards this year were torture. Many of my colleagues seemed to be going out of their way to be stingy. I've been in 4 Boards this time around, both here and as external examiner at another uni. Now, I am on the lenient side. If there's a borderline case between a 1st and a 2:1, say, I'll always make the case for a higher award. Others are different and cite academic standards as a reason to argue the other way. 

But this year has been tougher than most. Colleagues being frankly mean. I had to stop one exam board and have a separate meeting with the Chair to explain the rules properly to her, and ask why they were not being applied to the benefit of some students. Some unis just use an algorithm to determine the outcomes but we have discussions. It's great when you fight hard for someone and the exam board relents (to shut me up). 

This morning, I've spent 4 hours dealing with one guy who is devastated. He has been told to come back next year to sit one course again. Had his tickets booked for graduation and everything. 

Long weekend coming up and much needed. This whole few weeks has been shite. 

mcd.jpg.007f5ae78e9ab44357c3600db98f24e6.jpg

thank gawd he gave me a 1st, yah, I mean what would I totes have done if I'd gone a 2.1 yah? 

11 hours ago, MEADOWXI said:

I take her glee and raise you the dancing bams on the We Buy Any car ads

Thankfully not seen that.

Also, boy on the B&Q ads that pop up on Youtube.
Does that whispery thing but still talking at normal volume, as if he's letting you in on a secret or something.

Absolute supper.

22 hours ago, TxRover said:

Absolutely…a little, rotund beastie with legs on one side of his/her/their body longer than on the other so they can run fast along a hillside…and thus their tragic weakness, if you approach them from the correct direction, they fall down the hill when they try to run away from you.

I always used to say there were left and right haggis depending on what what way round the hill they ran.

1 hour ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

The movie Ronin, the car chase at the end, they flash their headlights, why?

That's weird, just mentioned that film on another forum 30 seconds ago, and I see this. No connection on topics and a 25 year old film. Can't remember the headlights but thought the film was great but about half an hour too long, the whole ice rink scene was silly.

5 hours ago, Soapy FFC said:

I always used to say there were left and right haggis depending on what what way round the hill they ran.

Correct, I don’t remember the cartoon that was in either. I always wondered if a left haggis got jiggly with a right haggis, might they produce an uphill or downhill haggis?

3 hours ago, TxRover said:

I always wondered if a left haggis got jiggly with a right haggis,

Trying to work out the mechanics of that. They'd either be nose to nose or tail to tail so how would they manage it?

And yes, I have far too much time on my hands.