Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

1 hour ago, BTFD said:

Companies concerned solely with money desperately trying to evoke feelings of loyalty from the customers they care nothing for. Yuck.

It also makes it look like the company thinks that you only have their app and no other apps installed on your phone, or that their app is obviously so much more important than any other. It's back to the bad old days on PC where you installed a program and it automatically assumed you wanted it to start automatically, be added to your tool bar and system tray, have a shortcut put on your desktop, be added to the right click context menu, etc, etc.

6 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

It also makes it look like the company thinks that you only have their app and no other apps installed on your phone, or that their app is obviously so much more important than any other. It's back to the bad old days on PC where you installed a program and it automatically assumed you wanted it to start automatically, be added to your tool bar and system tray, have a shortcut put on your desktop, be added to the right click context menu, etc, etc.

The pinnacle of that was Norton Anti-Virus around the turn of the millennium, which took over Windows on startup and shutdown, consumed massive amounts of resources, and just generally seemed confused that you'd want to do anything with the computer other than run security checks and scan files for viruses.

3 hours ago, BTFD said:

The day they brought them in, the conductor on my train was struggling with the new machines and bitching comically about how much had been spent on them.

Maybe @19QOS19 has some idea about why the high heid yins decided that it would be a better idea to issue customers with a duvet rather than a credit card-sized ticket. Although, probably not, if his bosses are anything like everyone else's.

Is it perhaps like CVS here in that it’s a huge swarth of ads and coupons and such?

image.thumb.jpeg.97aff5aa3ff74bad36b997417447802e.jpeg

9 hours ago, TxRover said:

Is it perhaps like CVS here in that it’s a huge swarth of ads and coupons and such?

image.thumb.jpeg.97aff5aa3ff74bad36b997417447802e.jpeg

Tesco and Boots were like that with coupons for a while here, but I think they've calmed down a bit with that shit. You can give me as many coupons for foundation and lipstick as you want - I ain't gonna be using them. The US thing of having one price for clubcard holders and another for everyone else is catching on here.

Last time I was in the US, it was funny to see the length that receipts in general had expanded to. It was like a competition that nobody could possibly gain from.

28 minutes ago, BTFD said:

Tesco and Boots were like that with coupons for a while here, but I think they've calmed down a bit with that shit.

Boots still love to give you 3 or 4 bits of paper when you ask for a receipt. I doubt anyone has ever paid full price for No7 products.

Anyway, my petty thing today is that for the 4th time (at least that I’ve noticed) this week, the Glasgow Underground is fucked. Since they did the “upgrades”, it seems to be less and less reliable 

Software tutorial videos in which the person moves the cursor all over the f***ing place, as if they (probably) haven't given it any form of rehearsal.

"So in this this video we... uhm, we'll be errr looking to a create a, errr..."

Just now, thomas said:

The new Meghan Trainar "song" somehow managed to bring out something worse than her last one 

I never listen to the radio so have no idea what shite is currently in the charts, but on my clinical placement the radio was always on in the office. Fucking hell the "music" was terrible.

22 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Software tutorial videos in which the person moves the cursor all over the f***ing place, as if they (probably) haven't given it any form of rehearsal.

"So in this this video we... uhm, we'll be errr looking to a create a, errr..."

Does rather make you wonder what they're doing with their other hand.

26 minutes ago, thomas said:

The new Meghan Trainar "song" somehow managed to bring out something worse than her last one 

She has mastered the art of the "TikTok" song - something that is really catchy for 10s, so folk put it on every social media post going. Fair play to her for that.

It's a bit like the modern version of the Levi's adverts in the 90s

8 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

She has mastered the art of the "TikTok" song - something that is really catchy for 10s, so folk put it on every social media post going. Fair play to her for that.

It's a bit like the modern version of the Levi's adverts in the 90s

Damn you, that'll be in my head all day now.

36 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I never listen to the radio so have no idea what shite is currently in the charts, but on my clinical placement the radio was always on in the office. Fucking hell the "music" was terrible.

Welcome fellow member to the "turned into your dad" club 

Although the music my dad didn't like was far better than the shite you get now

Just now, tamthebam said:

Welcome fellow member to the "turned into your dad" club 

Although the music my dad didn't like was far better than the shite you get now

In a moment of boredom, I recently fell into one of those "we can accurately determine your age based on your musical knowledge" clickbait links.

Having nailed the 80s, it thought I was of retirement age, because my knowledge fell off a cliff beyond mid-2000s and it assumed my knowledge of the 90s came from having kids around.  Fair to say that post-2010 songs are somewhat scarce throughout my Spotify library list.

55 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Commercial radio and the daytime  music on R1 and R2 has always been shite. I used to detest having it on in kitchens and would always try to get a mix tape on instead but some goon always wanted on Northsound for a phone quiz or some shit. Aberdeen Community radio (aka radio fitlike) was good for a laugh though.