Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

15 minutes ago, GordonD said:

And with all the inbreeding there's only about three surnames

Always thought it's a bit odd that literally half of Vietnam has the surname Nguyen - when you get that far, what's the point? Just stop having surnames.

Although apparently it's pronounced differently depending on which part of Vietnam you're from, which...just, well fucking done, Vietnam. Life isn't difficult enough?

3 hours ago, BTFD said:

Always thought it's a bit odd that literally half of Vietnam has the surname Nguyen - when you get that far, what's the point? Just stop having surnames.

Although apparently it's pronounced differently depending on which part of Vietnam you're from, which...just, well fucking done, Vietnam. Life isn't difficult enough?

I was at Uni with 3 folk who had the surname Ng. One pronounced it "Ing", one said it was "EnGee", and a third said "Huang".

3 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I was at Uni with 3 folk who had the surname Ng. One pronounced it "Ing", one said it was "EnGee", and a third said "Huang".

I suppose if I was in a class with a couple of other Scots on the other side of the world, we'd probably pull the old, "actually, it's pronounced 'Throat-Wobbler Mangrove'" gag too.

9 minutes ago, BTFD said:

I suppose if I was in a class with a couple of other Scots on the other side of the world, we'd probably pull the old, "actually, it's pronounced 'Throat-Wobbler Mangrove'" gag too.

"It's spelt W-A-N-K-E-R but is pronounced Throat-Wobbler Mangrove"

On 18/03/2023 at 15:12, BTFD said:

I just had the exact same conversation yesterday with my mate Menzies Stachan.

On 18/03/2023 at 04:46, hk blues said:

No wonder your seat was empty - you were the pilot! 

You would think a pilot in uniform drinking at a gate would have unnerved them more, especially when I got on and walked to the front,

Best about being the pilot, no p***k argues about overhead locker space.

On 18/03/2023 at 12:35, velo army said:

Aberdeen has far too many streets named after provosts, which would be fine if it was just surnames, but main roads being named "provost rust" or "provost Graham" makes them sound the same to me. When I just started my job and was trying to navigate the northern outposts of the city this stuff made it that wee bit harder.

Calling cards of morons (me) for this pish, quite possibly, but it bothers me still 

That's for the crap Provosts.

The good ones get buildings named after them, like Provost Ross & Provost Skene to name two.

In fact it is definitely an Aberdeen thing to name streets and buildings after them.

Although to show the political swings there is a Bob Cooney Court, and he has a plaque elsewhere in the city.

He went to Spain to fight fascists during the Spanish Civil War.

I hate new schemes in Scotland that are given wanky names like "King's View". Edinburgh seem to let them get away with this kind of shite instead of naming roads things like "Rebus Road" "Renton Avenue" "Sean Connery Shtreet" 

4 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I hate new schemes in Scotland that are given wanky names like "King's View". Edinburgh seem to let them get away with this kind of shite instead of naming roads things like "Rebus Road" "Renton Avenue" "Sean Connery Shtreet" 

Still hoping to run across "Smudger's Stramash" someday in Dundee.

Councils/housing developers seem to love using the same generic tree names by default all across the whole island, even if you won't find one within a few hundred miles.

RE mispronunciation of place names. It is very slightly diverting/irksome when it happens routinely, e.g. on TV by sports commentators, but even then it doesn't really matter.

In my experience the people that get more exercised about it are losers from small no-mark towns, who still live in said small no-mark towns, who think that anyone else should care in the slightest about the pronunciation of their beloved shithole.
We don't care. Not one jot. If I'm lucky I'll never again have to visit Fallin or Strathaven or whatever. I came here for one day, took a look around, and vowed to avoid the dump in future.

18 hours ago, tamthebam said:

In Alloa I remember a bit of bother in the news a few years back. They have a large area of nice, cultivated woodland called the Pleasure Grounds. Made at the end of World War 1 apparently to please the returning soldiers, I spent a few school days doing litter picking there.

Anyway, they were building a new scheme nearby and one councillor got to name the streets. He named one "The Pleasures" which was nearby. A horrendous name for a street. Makes it sound like down town Amsterdam.

I also see there is Brodie Avenue, named after the Reverend Brodie who was the minister at St. Mungo's. When I was a kid he would come to school at the end of every school term and bore us all to death.

2 hours ago, milton75 said:

RE mispronunciation of place names. It is very slightly diverting/irksome when it happens routinely, e.g. on TV by sports commentators, but even then it doesn't really matter.

In my experience the people that get more exercised about it are losers from small no-mark towns, who still live in said small no-mark towns, who think that anyone else should care in the slightest about the pronunciation of their beloved shithole.
We don't care. Not one jot. If I'm lucky I'll never again have to visit Fallin or Strathaven or whatever. I came here for one day, took a look around, and vowed to avoid the dump in future.

Which shithole do you stay? 

2 hours ago, milton75 said:

Is Amber Deen anywhere near Aberdeen?