Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

1 hour ago, MEADOWXI said:

My favourite for the gate queue watching us Aberdeen airport. The bar is very small, and some of the seating is at the lower level next to the gates. I have sat on a bar stool at a table having a pint, and my flight was called at a gate about 15foot from where I was sitting. Did I jump up....nope. I sat and for 30mins enjoyed my pint as the queue grew into the distance, they all slowly filed past and stressed to be on and seated first. And as the queue got to about 5 people I stood, finished my pint, picked up my bag and boarded. And the ones that had been sitting already for 20-30 mins on a 90min flight were there, and my seat was magically empty and waiting for me. Have never understood the need to be on a plane longer than required.

The charges these days for even carry-on bags on the cheapest fares have made this more practical, but under the rules in the 90’s and 00’s, it was nearly necessary if you weren’t traveling first or business class. The last few on got their carry-on tagged and placed in the belly…not always a good thing is you have medicines of such, as things go amiss.

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

To a certain (limited) extent it's understandable as it stops some thieving c**t nicking your case or taking it by mistake.  Worse airport behaviour is folk lining up at the gate before the flight is even called. 

Southwest Airlines has that somewhat beaten with their boarding scheme. In all cases you get a plastic numbered boarding pass based upon when you checked in (including 24 hours early online…where paying a $10 or so fee pretty much ensures a 1-30 number). Then you have to either line up in numerical order (at those airports with the correct equipment, basically a long clothing rack with spaces 1-30/61-90 on one side and 31-60/91-120 on the other) or in a pack of 30 in little chutes. Since seats aren’t assigned, it’s advantageous to board early.

Edited by TxRover

On 15/03/2023 at 10:27, coprolite said:

Nobody says vegetables properly. 

the missing syllable has turned up in mischievous 

My eldest got her MA last year.  On Sunday she pronounced 'mischievous' with 4 syllables and argued with me when I corrected her.

I sent her to the naughty step for 5 mins for every year.

16 hours ago, MEADOWXI said:

My favourite for the gate queue watching us Aberdeen airport. The bar is very small, and some of the seating is at the lower level next to the gates. I have sat on a bar stool at a table having a pint, and my flight was called at a gate about 15foot from where I was sitting. Did I jump up....nope. I sat and for 30mins enjoyed my pint as the queue grew into the distance, they all slowly filed past and stressed to be on and seated first. And as the queue got to about 5 people I stood, finished my pint, picked up my bag and boarded. And the ones that had been sitting already for 20-30 mins on a 90min flight were there, and my seat was magically empty and waiting for me. Have never understood the need to be on a plane longer than required.

No wonder your seat was empty - you were the pilot! 

On 15/03/2023 at 21:56, tamthebam said:

Should have  of told her it was The Duchy of Grand Fenwick's

One for Peter Sellers and Bernard Cribbins fans.

Two birds with the one stone!

On 16/03/2023 at 13:53, BTFD said:

Mispronouncing towns is fine. Everyone's done it at some time; the locals get a laugh out of it, you get to do the "doh, I'm an idiot" thing, sometimes people will show an interest in where you're actually from, or tell you a bit about the place, and generally it's a good time if everyone has a sense of humour about it.

Occasionally you find the odd arsehole who, despite actually living in an area for years, will insist on pronouncing names as they think it should be, as though the local thickos who live there have been getting it wrong the whole time. They can GTF. May they remain unaware of the piss content of their pints.

When I first arrived here I pronounced Limavady as Li mavady instead of Lim a vady and Largy with a soft g. Oh how we laughed.

4 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

14 minutes ago, Swarley said:

I'd agree but am guessing you've head people pronounce it med-sin? 

21 minutes ago, GordonD said:

How many syllables in 'medicine'?

I say three...

medicine

[ med-uh-sin or, especially British, med-suhn ]

2 minutes ago, Swarley said:

The British, always butchering the English language. 

It would be amusing to discover that the Queen's English used to mean speaking like the cast of Jersey Shore, or maybe finishing every sentence? With a questioning? Lilt?

What the hell kind of accent does this guy have, by the way? Is it from a certain part of Oz, or a weird cross-continental thing that's caught on, like vocal fry? When he forgets to edit his audio, he does a weird nervous "ha ha" after almost every sentence too, it's bizarre. YouTube's decided he needs to be in my AutoPlay list by the way, I've never  knowingly clicked on one of his videos.

https://www.youtube.com/@VinceyMenzani/videos

Aberdeen has far too many streets named after provosts, which would be fine if it was just surnames, but main roads being named "provost rust" or "provost Graham" makes them sound the same to me. When I just started my job and was trying to navigate the northern outposts of the city this stuff made it that wee bit harder.

Calling cards of morons (me) for this pish, quite possibly, but it bothers me still 

20 minutes ago, velo army said:

Aberdeen has far too many streets named after provosts, which would be fine if it was just surnames, but main roads being named "provost rust" or "provost Graham" makes them sound the same to me. When I just started my job and was trying to navigate the northern outposts of the city this stuff made it that wee bit harder.

Calling cards of morons (me) for this pish, quite possibly, but it bothers me still 

You want to try being a postie in Fintry. A fairly large scheme in Dundee where every single street starts with Fin... 

1 hour ago, Cosmic Joe said:

You want to try being a postie in Fintry. A fairly large scheme in Dundee where every single street starts with Fin... 

And with all the inbreeding there's only about three surnames